Imperial vs Metric System (Is USA the only place still using it?)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious cause it seems that way. I know in school that we learned imperial and metric. But more commonly use the Imperial system. Sometimes is even seamlessly interchangeable. Even saying Miles per hour instead of Kilometers per minute. Using inches to and feet for body measurements instead of centimeters. Do non American people even know what I'm talking about at this point? :unsure:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't EoF, but the thread really reminded me of a tweet I saw a few days ago lol

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#Current_use

I only knew about the road sings in the UK and about US/Canada, interesting.
That was quite an interesting read! I guess the UK conversion was only recent so you can't blame people for wanting to use the system they grew up with and went to school with. I also just realised that we still measure computer screens and television screens in inches. I wouldn't have the faintest clue how big 21 inches is but I can picture a 21 inch computer monitor. Have never seen one described as a length in cm.

Reactions: Reynardine

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That was quite an interesting read! I guess the UK conversion was only recent so you can't blame people for wanting to use the system they grew up with and went to school with. I also just realised that we still measure computer screens and television screens in inches. I wouldn't have the faintest clue how big 21 inches is but I can picture a 21 inch computer monitor. Have never seen one described as a length in cm.
I guess here in Germany they even trying to get rid of that.
I mean, many/most/all? shops put both cm and inches for TVs on their ads and listings.
Still TBH, I read 55"/139cm and only the first number gives me an idea of the screen size. I guess I am old.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a country that doesn't use it, we sure love using it a lot in the medical field. Which is weird. Change everything to metric except for gas.

100 Celsius = boiling point
0 Celsius = freezing point
1000 meters = 1 KM
1000 grams = 1 KG

Easier to calculate instead of

212 F
32 F
0.62 miles
2.2 lbs

I know a meter is about 3.34 feet, but come on

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For a country that doesn't use it, we sure love using it a lot in the medical field. Which is weird. Change everything to metric except for gas.

100 Celsius = boiling point
0 Celsius = freezing point
1000 meters = 1 KM
1000 grams = 1 KG

Easier to calculate instead of

212 F
32 F
0.62 miles
2.2 lbs

I know a meter is about 3.34 feet, but come on
That's what I meant with random.
Whomever came up with the scales, and with subunits and superunits based on 12x, 3x, and ?x relations must be a sadomasochist.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whomever came up with the scales, and with subunits and superunits based on 12x, 3x, and ?x relations must be a sadomasochist.

It's just... metric makes more sense, why do we use it for medical or food related fields, but not general use?

Reactions: vinstage

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It gets worse

View attachment 171428
View attachment 171427

and this is also without doing the British Gallon - American Gallon thing.

UK wise I should also note that while milk will give some fractional litre value on the front then the sizes are still the classic 1 pint, 2 pints, 4 pints or 6 pints sizing (if pressed they will probably say it is old machinery or fridges were built with this size in mind), and saying barkeep I would like 6 counts of 568ml of your finest ale (UK pint is also different to US pint which is 473ml for liquids) will probably not get you terribly far. You can also usually go to a market stall or butchers and ask for something in pounds or ounces (I will have to look but they might have even been an exception to the law which mandated conversion).

Anyway I know what all the common units and their breakdowns are, as well as many conversions, but only because of the whole engineering thing and old cook books, and even then it is mainly because I do a lot of legacy parts engineering. Even with that I have no mental concept at all of how long, heavy, hot, fast... something is in imperial units beyond order of magnitude (I know a foot is commonly used for either human sized things, or in thousands for mountains or distance shooting sort of thing, but if someone tells me 16 feet I have no clue without first converting to just under 5 metres, or for really crude then dividing by 3 and maybe adding a little bit). If someone tells me their new baby weighed 11 lbs I have no clue how much that is and if it is big or small for a baby without converting, and even then I probably still don't know if it is big or small but that is probably more of a side effect of not caring about babies.
Such a thing also means I find it quite odd when some American politico gets trotted out and does the "it is measurements that relate to people's everyday lives" routine.
Possible exception in imperial units in that I can do normal car speeds in imperial if I am going from standstill -- if I am doing the just off a motorway and 50mph feels like standing still routine then probably not going to happen but I could still do metres per second well enough in those scenarios.

Speaking of cooking then nobody in the UK that has not interacted with Americans when it comes to cooking will know what you are talking about if you do your measuring in cups (a volume measurement) as everything that is larger than a tablespoon and more solid than honey (even then I would not be surprised to see honey done by weight) is done by weight or count.

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The imperial system is far from dumb. The units actually have meaning behind them. It's not defined as a random fraction of something very intangible by some organization in a foreign country that may not exist in 50 years. Using metric is a testament to the lack of sovereignity of a country.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It actually does make sense when you're only using them for everyday things. 12 is easier to divide into groups than 10. Have a look at

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/hYkEl-3x92A?si=JSDoEc2QCDOrtimz