Hardware Imagining possible Switch Controllers/Attachments

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, noting that the Switch is modular with its inputs, I'm sure we've all had some thoughts as to what this could mean for potential joy-con controllers to be switched out/attachments that can be made with the screen. I mocked up a few of the ideas. They aren't the greatest photoshop jobs, but they illustrate my points I think and make for interesting thoughts to consider at the least I think.

6Hta6YE.jpg

This one might actually not even need to utilize the connection ports for the joy-con, but could simply be a physical device both can securely lock into.

uPmTlma.jpg

Very recently, someone at Nintendo had state that there is the ability in the future to get the unit to work for VR, I think how I explained above would be the logical way that they could go about doing that, if they end up interested in pursuing that gameplay style, I can't help but think that a Metroid Prime or Pikmin game could be amazing in VR.
hkE52q3.jpg

This one seems least likely to me, but the potential is there. The reason I question how likely it is, is that any games made for landscape are only going to be playable on the handheld and not on your TV. Sure, the same is true of VR, however there is definitely a market for VR, I'm not sure you could sell too many people on the idea that they need a specific controller in order to play certain games in portrait mode instead of landscape. Still, the possibility certainly remains.
l0KM7fc.jpg

This is probably the most likely thing to happen, if no other versions of Joy-Con controllers come out, I have a suspicion that a Gamecube version will be made, especially for when the system gets a Super Smash Bros. game.

edit: Here is an idea by Veho below, I liked it a lot, so I mocked it up in the same style, seems highly possible something like this may happen:

PIL7bxP.jpg

What do you think? Are there any other cool ideas I missed? Tell me what you think!

Last edited by duffmmann,

Ace212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally find the first idea interesting, however i doubt they are going to have Joycon connections on all sides of the screen, so it would be more practical connected via the sides of the console.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally find the first idea interesting, however i doubt they are going to have Joycon connections on all sides of the screen, so it would be more practical connected via the sides of the console.

I never implied anywhere that all sides of the screens would have JoyCon connections, just the left and right sides. But I think a physical attachment that maybe just snaps the screens together without actually connecting through the JoyCon connections would be feasible for keeping 2 screens docked together, they'd connect wirelessly.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vr with xavier refresh. Mobile is still too slow right now. Also if you are going to go with custom shape they would just go with stabdard d pad, or other single units like the on with vertical tablets.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol I was hoping someone would do that. I love the way the "Switch DS" looks. Anyway, in the Switch Reveal video, they had a car attachment in the back sit. You basically said this yourself. If they decide to do it, I expect the Portrait mode and dual screen mode to work the same way. Like a case, rather than weird controller shapes. If they do the screen attachment, they may as well make it hardware compatible too by the attachment. Also, some Switch games can support dual screens too, other wise it will act as a extended battery and protect the screens.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't necessarily have to be smartphone VR. I can see a lot of indie and eshop titles supporting it, if they decide to do it.

I would be happy to just see a case that protects and charges the Switch, even if it wasn't dual screen.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A possible attachment would be a frame that converts the tablet and the JoyCons to a clamshell form factor:

View attachment 67786
Over 9000 hours in Paint ;O;
Oh, I see the extra battery very well placed there. Mandatory purchase.
Sure that is the quick fix to achieve more than 15 minutes of gameplay on the go. /s

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like that idea, but the sticks would collide with the screen. They'd have to make alternative JoyCons that use slide pads instead.
Hm, yes.

But maybe there will be an official clamshell. I mean, they said that there will be a lot of accessories...

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A possible attachment would be a frame that converts the tablet and the JoyCons to a clamshell form factor:

View attachment 67786

I liked your idea a lot so I mocked it up in my style, I'm gonna add it to the first post as well, while still giving you credit of course.

PIL7bxP.jpg

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 67786
I actually thought about this, but I kept thinking about the weight. It could work. I just don't know how heavy it would be. I would prefer the Joy-Con to still have regular analog sticks.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I liked your idea a lot so I mocked it up in my style, I'm gonna add it to the first post as well, while still giving you credit of course.

PIL7bxP.jpg
This with a bottom screen. If case anyone haven't noticed, the vent is on the top and the connectors are on the bottom. This means a touch screen of similar size and a battery, and also connectors for joy cons, or maybe its own stand alone controller.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This with a bottom screen. If case anyone haven't noticed, the vent is on the top and the connectors are on the bottom. This means a touch screen of similar size and a battery, and also connectors for joy cons, or maybe its own stand alone controller.

Look at the first image in the first post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.