Imagine you found a way to play backups w/o mods

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by robi, Nov 8, 2007.

Nov 8, 2007
  1. robi
    OP

    Member robi GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2006
    Messages:
    264
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    Country:
    France
    Okay, here goes. Imagine you found a way to run copied games on one of the current-gen systems without any modification required. I'm talking about piracy that's as easy as say, a specially burnt disc that runs the console in a diagnostic mode. in layman's terms let's say it's as easy a copying an audio cd for a friend, or downloading MP3s.

    It could be for any console, but it has to be one that you truly enjoy. (can't choose a PS3 if you hate Sony in other words...)

    Would you release it? Even if it risked severely hurting a company you support?


    Discuss.
     
  2. Osaka

    Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Messages:
    827
    Location:
    Ragol
    Country:
    United States
    yes, I would because all of the new systems can be updated, and releasing it would force them to fix it.
     
  3. mthrnite

    Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2006
    Messages:
    4,523
    Location:
    th' south
    Country:
    United States
    Alright robi, cough it up...

    Yes, I would. I've never had a problem copying an album to a cassette tape, and still have a very large album collection in spite of that. Records used to be a reasonable price. If the media companies would lower their prices to reasonable amounts, I would by lots more new games and not nearly as many used. I still buy what I like, and if I play a demo on the 360 more than a few times, I buy it, but usually I'll wait for a used copy of it. I can't see any difference (someone please enlighten me, but do it nicely) between a used game and a pirated game. The maker is getting nothing for a re-sold copy, and are losing a new sale in the process. All because the prices aren't fair. I do buy new games, but not at the rate I buy used, and I never buy a game I haven't played first, in some way shape or form. I don't buy crap games, and the ratio of crap to good is too skewed towards crap these days not to have some way to try a game out first. Whether it's in a Gamestop kiosk, demo, or some other method.

    Back in the day, it was a cinch to copy what you wanted, but buying it was rewarding beyond just having some of the content. The 65 dollar Halo 3 should come with the little plastic helmet dammit! Am I making my point clear? Plastic helmet is not worth 35 extra bucks, it's cool, but it's a little plastic helmet for gods sakes. No, I cannot make one, yes, I'd like to have one, guess who'd be buying a new game if it was bundled in at "regular" price? That's right, me!

    Ok, I confess, I bought Halo 3 at full price... they got me by the short hairs on that one, but it still ticks me off... for that kinda money I shoulda got the helmet with it.

    ugh... forgive me.. it's late and I'm sleepy. Goodnight Gracie.
     
  4. wynsezhello

    Newcomer wynsezhello Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Messages:
    56
    Location:
    Taguig City
    Country:
    Philippines
    i've never really thought of that mthrnite, but that's a really good idea.

    i mean if you really love the game company and the developers you wouldn't want to cheat on them by making or buying pirated games. not only would it kill them by not selling much of their creations, it will kill us too because they won't make the same great games we've all come to love.

    but should i discover such a way to copy games, i'd use it to back up my originals. my brother is negligent with the discs that it scratches so bad it can't be used. but that's it! no illegal trading or stuff like that.
     
  5. Seccom Masada

    Member Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    Messages:
    143
    Country:
    Antarctica
    No, someone else'll figure it out eventually. I might brag about it a little.
     
  6. FAST6191

    Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    21,697
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    Given 90% of my legit collection is second hand (the other 10% being "platinum" or new 2 years after launch)
    Also if I am expected to pay $60 odd for what is essentially a rental they can rot and I will be standing there laughing.

    Back on topic I guess I am a pirate (debates over my usage of the term later) before I am gamer/corporate whore so definitely, I would keep it secret for long enough to get a chunk of what I and those I trust need/want and disseminate it across several hundred worldwide servers (via a neighbours wifi of course).
     

Share This Page