I'm very impressed..

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dAVID_, Feb 2, 2018.

1. dAVID_
    OP

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    Well, I downloaded a torrent that linked to an All-In-One Half-Life game package. So, I downloaded it, 2.55 GB.

The uncompressed size is 35.7 GB. I don't have any idea of what installer program they used, but WOW!

2. VinLark
    This message by VinLark has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 2, 2018, Reason: Shitpost.
    Feb 2, 2018
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Either it contains a lot of fake zeroes or it's heavily damaged.
    Either way I wouldn't trust it.

Quantumcat, Stephano and VinLark like this.
  4. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    what dinoh said
    but concidering that they share a lot of the same stuff, like same engine, enemies, textures etc, i woldn't be surprised if ya can get really that small
    fit girl usually do crazy repacks like that, but half life doesn't seem to be one of them
    i do have the orange box in retail, which is 2 dvd's for all half life games + tf2 + portal. while portal and tf2 are visually and sound totally different aside from the engine, the half life games do share plenty of data

BTW, make sure you didn't get a "RIP" version which removes plenty of data like music

5. The ordinal cds were only 700mb so it probably is legit.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I have come across a couple archive formats in warez releases that have insane compression, but of course it depends on what kind of data you're compressing. If the data is already heavily compressed (PNG/JPG files, most video/audio formats) then additional compression won't be very effective. Text compresses extremely well, and uncompressed image formats like BMP and GIF compress very well as well. Raw video of course compresses very well, but that's rarely used.
    I have no idea what kind of file formats those games use, but as they are older games they probably aren't using the latest and greatest compression formats, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's legit.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted