I'm trying to make the Wii U's Browser usable again... but I have some questions about root certificate editing

Jediweirdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get rid of the infamous 112-2035 error by editing the root certificates located on rootca.pem to include the certification "lets encrypt". The problem is, though, that I need to also include a cross-signed certificate of their parent company IdenTrust in order to get everything to work (as said in this comment)... And I have literally zero clue on how to even correctly edit the PEM file without my internet browser volunteering to contribute to the nearest brick house like this person's browser. Here are a few starting questions I have:

• Is it actually OK to just copy/paste a certificate without also saying things like it's fingerprint and expiration date (like all the other certificates that Nintendo put on there before anyone else meddled with it)?
  • How the heck do you cross-sign a signature? Is it kind of like adding a regular one?
  • Will only using let's encrypt's certification actually get rid of the 112-2035 error code? Or did I even get that wrong too?

~~~~~~~Links n' Stuff~~~~~~~

This is my first time using spoiler tags, so sorry if it's screwed up

EDIT: Wow I horrendously screwed up on those spoiler tags lol. Hopefully, they're now fixed?
EDIT^2: Fixed something because fake OCD

Last edited by Jediweirdo,

Jediweirdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, it's been about a week to no response... I might try to repost this in the future coupled along with other questions

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mhh this is something i do for work. I'll see if I can get to it in time. I can't promise anything though, since the Browser isn't frequently updated and the TLS/SSL Methods it accepts might be outdated.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: soratheultima

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried using an SSL Proxy but that just resulted in a 1036 error

Any Older Methods such as the following did not work (not recommended): https://gbatemp.net/threads/mitm-wii-u-ssl-connections.477792/ ->Using the ROOT CA of https://larsenv.github.io/NintendoCerts/index.html Resulted in a Brick (safe due to CBHC) -> Downloaded V20 of Certs from NUS CDN to fix that using an unsafe Wupinstaller.

Using Charles as an SSL Proxy -> instead of error 112-1035 you get 112-1036
If you still want to try to do that, I would suggest doing that in REDNAND or any emunand option.

Or do as V10lator says :) and simply add the data from the github link to the end of the .pem file (open it with a good text editor)

theaxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i managed to get some websites working again by adding new certificates to the rootca. if you want a copy of my updated rootca.pem i can link it. even when updating the certificates though most websites still give a error 112-1035 so this doesn't just automatically make the browser work on every website but a few will be working again

Jediweirdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, some websites still return an error. But now with my rootca certs updated, it's still a lot better than having like 90% of websites giving the error! Thanks for replying to this old thread, but I already got it working on my Wii U thanks to the 2 people who replied to this earlier. I should have said my thanks for them helping me, but if I'm being honest I forgot about this post until now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    eeeeyikes
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    on the flip side, i was able to give the dingus machine that i nearly screwed the cpu up on a solid state drive
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    and i cleverly got the idea to move the pagefile to it
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    i think my ram's slower than that solid state drive, jesus christ
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    it seems like the pc chugs, then gets exponentially faster after what i can only assume is the pc running out of physsey
    ram
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    whereas before it just chugged no matter what
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    slow pagefile, slow ram, now the pagefile's leaving poor phrammy in the dust
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    and all this on a dingus windows 7 pc with no graphics card, of all things
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    an optiplex 755 MT
    Gift
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I deal with bent CPU pins on a almost daily basis...
    Gift
  • Digitalcat @ Digitalcat:
    bent cpu pins are my fav, love unbending them and then bending even more by accident.
    Gift
  • Digitalcat @ Digitalcat:
    Hate how they are getting thinner and thinner.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Didn't they invent those nubs and contacts a while ago so we wouldn't have to deal with a million pins when plugging in a CPU?
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What happened to that?
    Gift
    I think Intel still uses LGA?
    Gift
    not to well known with the newer CPUs
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    optiplicks
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New AMD is still on pins Intel went LGA but rumor is they are swapping with AMD going LGA and Intel maybe going back to pins
    Gift
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [turns it all into USB-B] Problem Fixed
    Gift
  • AliceCE @ AliceCE:
    CPU but awesome
    Gift
    CPU's? But I'm still working on EMP's
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    C U P?
    Gift
    A CUP? with no COFFEE in it? BAD. smh
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Seee Yoooou Peeee.
    Gift
    Oh hell no! I still like my privacy in the restroom! :angry:
    Gift
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Oh hell no! I still like my privacy in the restroom! :angry: