im trying to find something to like about windows 10

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you an idiot ?
Servers can have reading speed of Petabytes / s, they use raid technology you know and all the data are not on the same drive but on thousands
plus 4PB is nothing compared to the internet data trafic

yes yes I am the idiot ...
the undersea cables can roughly transfer about 640 Gbit/s thats a lot yeah but if microsoft would use 3-4 PB a day of this it would mean Microsoft alone would use 100% of the cables speed for at least half an hour a day oO than you have google which probably uses even more data as they do not only spy on those who have a Windows Pc but on the phones and everything as well ... so these two companys alone would make most of the traffic that is possible for one cable for at least 1-2 hours a day while there are more than enough other companys and normal people use the internet as well i doubt this would work....

Well It might be possible with enough computers doing all the calculations and with all the AI stuff thats beeing made but still just looking at the data is not the same as filtering for interesting stuff and than looking to who the data belongs and profiling the person and whatever.

Oh and another thing, if you are that scared of poeple getting any of your info you should never pay with credit card and at best not use the internet at all, probably wear a mask when you go outside and gloves as everyone could steal your fingerprints if you won't

I'm not using a vpn yet and the reason is i don't know which one to use, plus i'm not using my network but the one from my room mate once i moove up to MY place i will use one
But i am using linux
and all my software exept discord are open source
so i know for a fact that at least my system is not spying on me
i know that no one is eavesdropping since i ran some network forensic
so the only one that can spy on me is my isp
but i'm soon gonna use an encrypted vpn so that will also be out of the board
plus i'm using tor network for more anonym stuff

Is it at least your own VPN which you secretly created somewhere else or do you trust some stranger with your traffic ?

And have you looked trough all the programming code of your open source software ? you sure there are not the slightes code parts that maybe should not be there ?

how did you "run some network forensic" ? there are lots of different attack methods, do you have your own DNS server so you can be sure there is no DNS poisoning ?

You know connecting to tor is good and all but there are even some nodes (actually a lot) opened by the government ...

Last edited by Youkai,
Reactions: Alkéryn

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm not using a vpn yet and the reason is i don't know which one to use, plus i'm not using my network but the one from my room mate once i moove up to MY place i will use one
But i am using linux
and all my software exept discord are open source
so i know for a fact that at least my system is not spying on me
i know that no one is eavesdropping since i ran some network forensic
so the only one that can spy on me is my isp
but i'm soon gonna use an encrypted vpn so that will also be out of the board
plus i'm using tor network for more anonym stuff
good question that i had been wondering..
i know how private and public key system works (at least the basics) but how dafuq do you know the isp intercepted the key handshake (man in the middle attack)?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Oh and another thing, if you are that scared of poeple getting any of your info you should never pay with credit card and at best not use the internet at all, probably wear a mask when you go outside and gloves as everyone could steal your fingerprints if you won't
Prepaid credit cards are pretty safe as far as personal information is concerned. They're often used by under-18s to access online services.
Of course, that's not your point :P

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
good question that i had been wondering..
i know how private and public key system works (at least the basics) but how dafuq do you know the isp intercepted the key handshake (man in the middle attack)?
Well you can know if there is someone between your router and your isp pretty easily
but after that things get more complicated i at least that there is no one between my computer and my router
And the principle of encryption is that a man in the midle can't do anything with the data between you and the server unless he have a computer powerfull enough to find the private key before it is changed which isn't possible with today's hardware
but as i said, i don't know what my isp is doing
having an encrypted vpn would fix the problem since they couldn't read the data
it would just be garbage to them and no they can't take the keys, it don't work like that
yes yes I am the idiot ...
the undersea cables can roughly transfer about 640 Gbit/s thats a lot yeah but if microsoft would use 3-4 PB a day of this it would mean Microsoft alone would use 100% of the cables speed for at least half an hour a day oO than you have google which probably uses even more data as they do not only spy on those who have a Windows Pc but on the phones and everything as well ... so these two companys alone would make most of the traffic that is possible for one cable for at least 1-2 hours a day while there are more than enough other companys and normal people use the internet as well i doubt this would work....

Well It might be possible with enough computers doing all the calculations and with all the AI stuff thats beeing made but still just looking at the data is not the same as filtering for interesting stuff and than looking to who the data belongs and profiling the person and whatever.

Is it at least your own VPN which you secretly created somewhere else or do you trust some stranger with your traffic ?

And have you looked trough all the programming code of your open source software ? you sure there are not the slightes code parts that maybe should not be there ?

how did you "run some network forensic" ? there are lots of different attack methods, do you have your own DNS server so you can be sure there is no DNS poisoning ?

You know connecting to tor is good and all but there are even some nodes (actually a lot) opened by the government ...
I said i don't have a vpn yet, i plan to use a swiss based one, they have pretty stric rules regarding privacy
No but other looked in the code and mostly code maintained by a lot of devs so they wouldn't allow a spyware on it
though i looked in the code of less popular software
As for dns i'm using google's dns
and as i say i use tor for anonym stuff so it is separated from my own stuff
and yeah i know there are some governement nodes but you know as soon as you connect to the internet, your privacy is at risk and even before, i'm not saying i'm eliminating those risks, i'm just saying i'm keeping them as low as i can

Last edited by Alkéryn,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's something to think about. Say you want to build a new pc after the next wave of Intel and CPUs are out later this year, they are not going to let you run windows 7. Same with AMDs ryzen line up.

Reactions: Deleted User

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well you can know if there is someone between your router and your isp pretty easily
but after that things get more complicated i at least that there is no one between my computer and my router
And the principle of encryption is that a man in the midle can't do anything with the data between you and the server unless he have a computer powerfull enough to find the private key before it is changed which isn't possible with today's hardware
exactly.. the system is almost perfect.. but there is this big flaw.. a man in the middle can feed it's own key to the 2 parties when they are in the handshake.. giving the hability to read every message after that.. he just needs to decrypt and encrypt again with the other key and foward the package

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's something to think about. Say you want to build a new pc after the next wave of Intel and CPUs are out later this year, they are not going to let you run windows 7. Same with AMDs ryzen line up.
windows 7 is already limited in today's chipsets.. mostly because the usb 3 shit...

i can't use my usb 3 stick to install windows 7 on a pc... at least without drivers...

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
windows 10 is a pain in the ass when it dont boot. you have to use a boot disc. stupid ms got rid of the f8 key press. how stupid is it that you have to boot the system regularly then go into settings and tell it to reboot with advanced start up. fucking stupid. Microsoft's claim for no f8 is that the system boots to fast. lame excuse. all they had to do was check for a f8 key held down at boot time.

It reminds me of this 286 laptop i have that requires dos to boot so you can boot the cmos program(was before the builtin bios setup) the hard drive is bad and floppy drive is not working or is disabled in bios. so you tell me how i can get in the bios if i cant boot lol fucking stupid

Oh and screw the secure boot crap windows 10
as for windows 10 activation i used a activator with windows 10 enterprise edition. and it updates and runs fine

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
exactly.. the system is almost perfect.. but there is this big flaw.. a man in the middle can feed it's own key to the 2 parties when they are in the handshake.. giving the hability to read every message after that.. he just needs to decrypt and encrypt again with the other key and foward the package

windows 7 is already limited in today's chipsets.. mostly because the usb 3 shit...

i can't use my usb 3 stick to install windows 7 on a pc... at least without drivers...
Well if he is on your local network yes but then you can detect it him easily (normal users wont though)
otherwise he can't do that otherwise the server will notice it and instantly change the key
though you can use it as a way to block the internet between the target and a server since it will refuse any conection until you get a key that no one listened to

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
windows 10 is a pain in the ass when it dont boot. you have to use a boot disc. stupid ms got rid of the f8 key press. how stupid is it that you have to boot the system regularly then go into settings and tell it to reboot with advanced start up. fucking stupid. Microsoft's claim for no f8 is that the system boots to fast. lame excuse. all they had to do was check for a f8 key held down at boot time.
agree... the removal of the f8 is the worst shit ever.. plenty of times it would be so handy to boot into safe mode..
with so fancy bios and uEFI thing, by now we should have boot options in the bios setting to give us the hability to boot into the OS safe mode
whats the point of safe mode or that other recovery options if you require to boot the computer in order to get to them? it's really shit..

anyway, it doesn't require a disc... all you have to do is continue to reset your pc several times while on the logo until it toggles the "failed boot" flag and enters into the "try to repair" mode
however it's a shit to do this... i can't stop thinking about corrupting the hdd because the constant reset

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
agree... the removal of the f8 is the worst shit ever.. plenty of times it would be so handy to boot into safe mode..
with so fancy bios and uEFI thing, we should have boot options in the bios setting right now to give us the hability to boot into safe mode
whats the point of safe mode or that other recovery options if you require to boot the computer in order to get to them? it's really shit..

anyway, it doesn't require a disc... all you have to do is continue to reset your pc several times while on the logo until it toggles the "failed boot" flag and enters into the "try to repair" mode
however it's a shit to do this... i can't stop thinking about corrupting the hdd because the constant reset
Well you can also be stuck on linux if you mess up badly that's why my keychain ( a physical one) have a 32GB usb key with arch iso onto it (and my data next to it)
so if some of my computer have an issue, i can always boot on the key and chroot to it in case i can't even access grub or systemdboot menu to launch a shell and fix it
but generally even if i mess up bad (wich never happen) unless i messed with the EFI partition, i won't need that key

but it is also handy when i want to install arch on a new machine since each time i plug it to my main computer, i have a script that automatically copy my config files of to the usb so if i install it on a new pc, i'm set up in less than an hour

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with so fancy bios and uEFI thing, by now we should have boot options in the bios setting to give us the hability to boot into the OS safe mode

i agree dont you love when that try to repair blue screens with that stupid sad face . haveing a windows 10 boot flash drive that can recover all versions of windows 10 is a requirement for anyone that troubleshoots windows 10. those windows 10 live discs that that gandalf guy makes are amazing. you can run the os off a dvd or a flash drive just like a linux live disc. great stuff

with all this its better to just image your entire boot drive, then it does not matter if the drive fails or you get wanna cry. you can just restore your entire os like it never happpend, and keep your data on a second drive so its not afected by the os drive.

Last edited by Captain_N,

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alternatively i have a script that just update arch iso on the key but i have to launch it manually because i don't want my computer to copy 500MB to the key each time i plug my key and the latest archiso isn't on it

i agree dont you love when that try to repair blue screens with that stupid sad face . haveing a windows 10 boot flash drive that can recover all versions of windows 10 is a requirement for anyone that troubleshoots windows 10. those windows 10 live discs that that gandalf guy makes are amazing. you can run the os off a dvd or a flash drive just like a linux live disc. great stuff
The best thing to have i think is a usb key on your keychain with grub and a windows disc entry and a linux one and maybe a partition tool on top of that so you can fix your shit just by plugin your key

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Alternatively i have a script that just update arch iso on the key but i have to launch it manually because i don't want my computer to copy 500MB to the key each time i plug my key and the latest archiso isn't on it

The best thing to have i think is a usb key on your keychain with grub and a windows disc entry and a linux one and maybe a partition tool on top of that so you can fix your shit just by plugin your key

i bought a 32gb thumb drive years ago, that i was suppose to use as all in one recovery and SO installation thing, i would put multiboot on it, and several SO to boot like like ubuntu, mint, windows installations, hirens boot cd, partition stuff etc..

my plan failed because some pc's don't like multiboot, and as a usb 3 usb drive, windows 7 doens't work on it... and i think you can't have several versions of windows togueter...
now i hope i get some free thumb drives or something and tag them (like we did back in the dvd days)... put them in a box or even make a key chain with them lol

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought a 32gb thumb drive years ago, that i was suppose to use as all in one recovery and SO installation thing, i would put multiboot on it, and several SO to boot like like ubuntu, mint, windows installations, hirens boot cd, partition stuff etc..

my plan failed because some pc's don't like multiboot, and as a usb 3 usb drive, windows 7 doens't work on it... and i think you can't have several versions of windows togueter...
now i hope i get some free thumb drives or something and tag them (like we did back in the dvd days)... put them in a box or even make a key chain with them lol

i think the modern windows 7 sp1 iso is supposed to have a usb3 driver builtin. the windows 7 multi iso i have does not. and its a pain when there is no optical drive and all usb 3 ports. but for thos repairs i usually just install 10.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France

You can buy them dirty cheap now a day
take 1GB usb drives for linux and shit and a 5 one for windows and you are good to go

It is a known fact: Windows 10 is not good. It's terrible.
In term of ui i believe it is better than others windows but it is more bloated to and spams you with notification
anyway i'm on linux

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy them dirty cheap now a day
take 1GB usb drives for linux and shit and a 5 one for windows and you are good to go

In term of ui i believe it is better than others windows but it is more bloated to and spams you with notification
anyway i'm on linux
what? the ui is garbage on win 10.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
what? the ui is garbage on win 10.
Although i don't like windows as an os i had to work with all version of them at some point at work
and w10 is my favorite
but as we say, we can't disguss taste and yes the ui is terrible compared to my main pc on linux
i think it is the best of windows
If i was doomed to use a windows os for the rest of my life without the privacy issue
so just about the UI and eco system overall i would go with w10 but i would mod it so it don't spam any notification on me
because god knows how this "use edge 's windows web browser" os built in ad is anoying

I know windows well and how it work since i had to work as an admin in company with it and that's exactly why i hate it

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
anyway i'm on linux
i used windows xp and windows 7, i don't remember about one os that didn't spam with notifications...
(skipped vista, altought i used it for a while)

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although i don't like windows as an os i had to work with all version of them at some point at work
and w10 is my favorite
but as we say, we can't disguss taste and yes the ui is terrible compared to my main pc on linux
i think it is the best of windows
If i was doomed to use a windows os for the rest of my life without the privacy issue
so just about the UI and eco system overall i would go with w10 but i would mod it so it don't spam any notification on me
because god knows how this "use edge 's windows web browser" os built in ad is anoying

I know windows well and how it work since i had to work as an admin in company with it and that's exactly why i hate it
well i have been using win 7 for a long time and tried win 8-10 and i just coudln't take it. after 7 stops working will defenitely move on to something else or try ReactOS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over