I'm (trying) to build a gaming desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Gariscus, Jan 11, 2011.

Jan 11, 2011
  1. Gariscus
    OP

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    Using my limited knowledge I selected these parts:

BenQ V2420H 24 Inch Widescreen LED Monitor $249.00

Antec Twelve Hundred Case $209.00

Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW $29.00

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Motherboard $219.00

Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 $59.00

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB WD10EALX $85.00

Corsair Force Series 60GB SSD $149.00

Intel Core i5 2500 $229.00

Galaxy GeForce GTX 570 1280MB $409.00

Antec EarthWatts 750W $127.00

ASUS PCE-N13 802.11 Wireless N PCI-Express Adapter $42.00

All prices are in AUD. The prices are from pccasegear.com.

As I'm a somewhat a noob when it comes to selecting parts I'd appreciate some help. [​IMG]

I already have a mouse, keyboard, headphones(I'm not really interested in speakers at the moment) and I would like to be able to play most games on highest settings.

I had trouble calculating the watts and am not sure if I chose the right PSU(I may want to overclock someday, once I'm more experienced). [​IMG]

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    What kind of gaming are you looking at? Casual/medicore/extreme?

GTX 570 is for those who want extreme graphics. If you don't play game on max graphic settings you can go down a little.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    CPU: Good choice, although you might want to consider going for the 2500K version for overclocking, and later getting an after-market cooler (recommending one is hard for now, since there aren't many 1155 compatible coolers). Overclocking a 2500K can easily outperform a core i7-980X in most areas (even if it's overclocked), and it won't increase the power draw by all that much.
    GPU: It's a bit overkill. The GTX 570 and 580 are the most powerful GPUs, but you can still get very good performance out of a HD5970 for ~$100 less, especially since you're only using a 24" monitor.
    RAM: You'll be halving the performance of the RAM if you only get 1 stick of RAM. It's better to get a 2x2GB kit and add 2x4GB if you really need it later, although most systems are happy with 4/6/8GB of RAM.
    Case: Good choice - it's the one I use. There are better, but they tend to cost more.
    HDD: Getting a SSD is up to you, although I'd recommend swapping the WD HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

No point commenting on the DVD drive, and there aren't enough P67 motherboards out to be able to compare. 750W is plenty, and getting a WiFi card is down to individual needs.

Last comment: if you're anything like me with Steam, 1TB will not be enough. Consider getting more, especially since HDDs are very cheap now.

4. were2

Newcomer were2 Newbie

Germany
    But accourding to the rest of the system i would recommend the Corsair Dominator Series or Ripjaws (RAM) (and 2x2gb ram is much faster than 1x4, dual channel fw)
    The CPU ist just perfect, an excellent choice, and the rest is just fine, too, but the vga card is a little bit too expensive and overpowered for my taste.
    Also i would swap the SDD with the Corsair Force F90, but i really dont know how much you have to spend therefore in australia.
    And the Corsair TX750W should be enough for the system, but again i dont know if it really makes a different in the price.

@trumpet-205: based on the selected hardware i would say extreme xD

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    There's no perceivable difference between the Corsair Dominator series and the cheap Corsair XMS3 series RAM I use. It's best to just find the cheapest 2x2GB kit of 1333/1600Mhz DDR3 RAM possible. 1600Mhz is only needed if overclocking.

Corsair and Antec both make good PSUs. So does Tagan and Enermax. No need to change it unless one has better features/price than the other.

6. were2

Newcomer were2 Newbie

Germany
    hm, 1333/1600? XMS3? here in germany there is no significant difference (price):
    XMS3: 4GB 1333 = 65$ (CL9), 6GB 1600 = 145$ (CL7)/4GB should be about 95$
    Dominator: 4GB 1600 (CL9) 100$

but again i prefer ripjaws:

4GB Ripjaws PC3-10667U (CL9) = 60$

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    In the UK, the cheapest 2x2GB 1333Mhz kit is £42. £39 for 1600Mhz. Both are XMS3 series. The only reason why 1600Mhz is recommended for overclocking (when Core i5 can only use 1333Mhz from the RAM) is that OCing the CPU tends to automatically lower the clock speeds of the RAM. Either way, no air-cooled system will see any significant difference between 1333Mhz and 2000Mhz RAM, or the difference between RAM with different latency rates. Also the voltage doesn't matter so long as it's rated 1.65V (if I recall).

In any case, we're agreed: don't use 1x4GB. Use a 2x2GB kit, or a 2x4GB kit if you really want to put that much money into RAM. Or a 4x2GB kit, which would be cheaper than 2x4GB but would take up more power and produce more heat.

8. Gariscus
    OP

Australia
    CPU: OK, I'll have to wait until later this month as the 2500K hasn't appeared in Australian stores yet.

GPU: I think I'll stick with the GTX 570, the one place the HD5970 costs $100 less is out of stock(and I don't know how reliable their store is), the rest cost from $600 to $700. I'll probably be getting a larger screen eventually anyway.

RAM: Thanks. I've switched to 2X2GB.

Case: I believe I saw you recommend it on another thread. Once I had a look at it and it's features I fell in love.

HDD: I've switched to a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

I may get another HDD some day but I think 1TB will be enough.

I've also decided to choose a different monitor: Samsung BX2450 24inch Widescreen LED Monitor $349.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks were2 but 2x2GB of Dominance RAM costs twice as much. So I won't be getting it(I'm already close to my budget of $2000) [​IMG]

9. were2

Newcomer were2 Newbie

Germany
    The Spinpoint F3 is a good choice, if your dealer offers you to coose the F4, it wouldnt be wrong to pay 5$ or the same price for that one.
    Also another RAM: G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
    it looks like a bad deal, no headspreader and only 1333, but its extremly fast (~900 MHz transmission rate) and is also very cheap.

PS: if you´ve choosen to buy a geforce and interessted in 3d gaming, wait for the toshiba 3d screens that dont need glasses.
    and, the best looking game is still crysis, the hardware improves, but games dont. its possible to play nearly every game at an extreme high fpsrate with and core2duo setup with a 290gtx. also, the only game that i know that really needs 4 cores to run at highest graphic opinions is bulletstorm.

10. Gariscus
    OP

Australia
    I'm not interested at all in 3D gaming.

So you're saying that I could buy a much cheaper graphics card and it'll be good enough to run games at the highest graphics options? I'll look into that.

11. Originality

United Kingdom
    The problem about cheaping out with graphics is that even though you can play current games at high settings with current mid-ranged cards and older high-end cards, that says nothing for games released over the next 2 years. As a rule of thumb, budget cards need to be upgraded every 1-2 years, mid-ranged cards every 3-4 years, and high-end cards can last 5+ years.

GTX 570 may be overkill now, but it'll be good enough to play games at high settings for many years to come.

If you did want cheaper alternatives, you can think about the HD6970, 6870, GTX 470 or GTX 460. They can all play current games at high settings, although the GTX 470 isn't very power efficient and the HD6870 and GTX 460 are mid-ranged cards. The HD6970 comes third in the current scale of graphics cards (GTX 570 is second), but you've already said it's out of stock.

12. Gariscus
    OP

Australia
    That's one of the reasons why I'm getting it. [​IMG]