OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all.

I used a guide that wasn't VERY specific about hacking a virgin 4.2 wii (serial LU4016XXXX).

Now i have the homebrew channel installed i can play emulators, i tried to follow the steps to downgrade ios15 but then i didn't install a cIOS yet.

Now the homebrew channel works but my retail copy of Zelda twilight princess doesn't work (disc channel --> unable to read disc, check wii operations manual bla bla)

Is it caused by wrongfully downgrading ios15, did i forget to restore the ios? do i just need to install cIOS and then all will work?

Or even better, can i use a better guide (and my more advanced knowledge now of wii hacking) and redo ALL the steps in restoring the trucha bug (using drop-ios MOD to re-downgrade and re-install everything)?

What are the risks, or rather how should i proceed from here to not brick my wii and get it to load backups from usb AND read my retail discs?

thanks alot

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow this guide. It is very complete.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

It doesn't sound like your wii is totally gone. It just sounds like you are missing some files. And I SURE hope you made a NAND backup. Since you have a LU40, there is a very high chance you can install bootmii in Boot2. If you do/ or did this, you can make your NAND backup and always be able to recover your wii incase of disaster.

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, But I never hacked a wii before following that guide about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I wasn't about to attempt it without having a NAND backup. Heck, I wasn't even sure if the backup would restore at that point. I knew NOTHING!!
smile.gif
But I got it on my first attempt. I had a few DSI errors

fatfrank

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i could only install bottmii as an ios, is that good enough? Now that i have the homebrew channel but not all the files, should i still make a back up of that? and how would i load it if i mess up? i read a few guides but i'm confused about this since i can'T install bootmii as boot2 and everywhere i read it's the only good brick protection.

Also, if i follow a more complete guide to restore the trucha bug from the beggining (like re-installing the ios and such) will that be ok or is that a stragiht road to bircked wii town?

Thanks for all the help, i can't wait to boot a backup from my usb loader and see it work : )

and yes, this is the guide i used. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I mean no disrespect to the author, just not as newbie friendly as i needed (i knew nothing about wii hacking until 2 days ago)

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BootMii as an IOS will work only as long as you have preloader installed. Preloader installs itsself BEFORE the system menu so in the case of a system menu failure, hold the reset button when powering on and the preloader menu will come up giving you the option to run BootMii, HBC, or System Menu.

If you have no backup at this point, Yes, do make a backup before you can't even get to HBC ..... Either way, It wouldn't hurt

fatfrank

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yeah wad that's a good idea, i can mess around a bit more without being so afraid of bricking the thing.

Priiloader or preloader? are they the same?

(wow i feel like such a noob right now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You were my trimmer