I'm still surprised Nintendo didn't file a C&D order for all of the fanmade Pokémon games.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by LuxerWap, Aug 13, 2016.

1. LuxerWap
    OP

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Franklin, Georgia
    Yet, they would close Mario 64 HD, AM2R, patch Homebrew and more. Pretty weird if you ask me.

Pokémon Uranium was released not too long ago, and Nintendo haven't filed the game yet. Makes me wonder why are they ignoring it.

Not saying that I want them to close the games, just saying how odd it is for them to sit and do nothing against it.

EDIT: Maybe it's too much work?

Last edited by LuxerWap, Aug 13, 2016
  2. opa334

opa334 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Nintendo never really took down anything:

Last edited by opa334, Aug 13, 2016
  3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Likewise Nintendo lets PETA make a bunch of games about their IPs and say nothing about it (even when they put Nintendo in a bad light), yet fun fan remakes are evil. Love that logic.

Anyway I found this humous

4. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Does anyone have a list of every fan made game Nintendo has downed?

5. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    That's the Pokemon Company's job to take down any copyright infrigment related events about Pokémon.

Which has happened so many times, from Pokémon themed parties (i kid u not) to even orchestra remastered Pokémon music.
    Fangames however, is actually rare but it has happened.

CeeDee likes this.
  6. Famrid

Famrid Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2016
    France
    I guess they like the free advertising the fanmade games gives them. Kind of some dev don't mind piracy because if the game is good i can gives them increased sale thanks to the good publicity or like the fansub scene before simulcast came.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Depending upon what goes that can be said to be parody or satire (and though I think PETA are a bunch of morons most of the time it is pretty clearly satire and parody from where they sit), even though most takedowns are related to trademarks rather than copyright it still gets a bit tricky if you are trying to take down things on that basis.

As for the question of the OP they can't do a blanket ban, well the law theoretically says no but that is not a strong protection. They have to then respond to each and every case as it arises. I am quite surprised we don't see more of them though, I too would have thought they would have been hotter on it. That said I hope they get hotter on things and more people make fan spiritual sequels instead -- I like people revisiting classic game styles and it is great, why they have to hose it up by using artwork and such from existing works they have no rights to I have no idea.

8. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    It's not Nintendo's responsibility. The Pokemon Company handles all Pokemon stuff, while Nintendo handles their own IPs like Mario or Zelda.

And to be honest, we're lucky Nintendo and TPC sit and do nothing, or else we'd have no exploits or big fangames.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I don't know

POKEMON
    IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: board games; electronic game equipment for playing video games, game cards; [ hand-held pinball games ] non electric hand-held skill games, plush dolls, manipulative puzzles; toy action figures [, toy balloons and yo-yos ]. FIRST USE: 19981102. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19981200
    (REGISTRANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4600 150th Avenue NE Redmond WASHINGTON 98052
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4804:v3e1zw.2.42

POKÉMON ALPHA SAPPHIRE
    (REGISTRANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4600 150th Avenue NE Redmond WASHINGTON 98052
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4804:v3e1zw.2.18

Pokemon EU002270064
    https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/4/EU002270064
    Holder's name
    Nintendo Co., Ltd.
    11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, Japan, 601-8501
    More recent
    https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/4/EU011727377

Pokemon
    http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/...p=D&p_detail=DETAILED&p_rec_no=1&p_rec_all=18
    Owner/s: Nintendo Co Limited
    see full address
    KYOTO
    JAPAN

https://www3.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/...&S_FLAG=00&TERMOPT=02&PAGE=01&LISTNO=1&DISP=1
    (732) Holder
    Name 任天堂株式会社
    Name 株式会社クリーチャーズ
    Name 株式会社ゲームフリーク

First is Nintendo, second is creatures and third is game freak.

So in the worst case they are co owners of the thing in Japan. I guess I should check the game maker was not in Canada or something (not that I expect much different) but in most places it seems Nintendo has every right to say oi.

Also how are exploits related to any of this?

Seriel likes this.
  10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I'm surprised there wasn't a C&D on those Pokemoan toys...

11. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Pokemon stuff should really be managed by the Pokemon Company. It's called that for a reason...

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Maybe it is big enough a franchise with a complex enough history that it needs to be handled by the pokemon company (or the pokemon company's enforcers/outside counsel/whatever), maybe they subcontract it back to Nintendo. It was more that the implication

Also "And to be honest, we're lucky Nintendo and TPC sit and do nothing, or else we'd have no exploits or big fangames." was what I was thinking for that. You release an exploit and it it out in the wild, job jobbed and all that. Games need a rather more lax environment to flourish (for the most part anyway), and at the same time no exploit writer has probably even sat there and paused to consider trademark law before releasing to the world. Equally not that I find fan games an especially valuable thing (as they tend to play out anyway, theoretically they could be nice and are nice if you head into ROM hacking or some rare exceptions world, that it is a rare exception rather adding fuel to the trademark fire) but there is a perfectly legitimate route in making engines and things you can overlay your chosen art assets on.