I'm so scared, i don't kno how to...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by PrinceIcee, Aug 30, 2007.

Aug 30, 2007
  1. PrinceIcee
    OP

Newcomer PrinceIcee Advanced Member

United States
    I'm always really scared when i think about modding my wii when i install the wiikey if i buy it, and then when i hear about the 3.0U update and nintendo being able to brick ur system, i get scared shitless..

can anyone tell me if the wiikey can get past these problems?

and is it also COMPLETELY safe to install a wiikey.

2. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Modchips are detecable, if thats what you asking.
    go to wiili.org and search drivechip detection for info on how it is detected.
    For some reason, I dislike wii pirates, but not ds pirates.
    So, I hope you brick your system you thief.

3. PrinceIcee
    OP

United States
    wow ur a moron

4. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    It's safe if you don't screw it : D

5. PrinceIcee
    OP

United States
    yes im not the professional wii opener. thats why im scared. a component might come loose and ill nvr play wii again

6. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    not necesarily, just save for a new wii if yours bricks

7. CodeXero

Newcomer CodeXero Newbie

United States
    "COMPLETELY safe"

how should we know, the fact of the matter is that all we can say is that its relatively safe and nothing has happened of yet. no guts no glory, if your scared then forget about it. its like you think $250 is the end of the world or something. if it is dont mod it.

8. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia

it's the risk you take for wanting to play free games. no need to be so scared

9. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, up to this point, the updates don't effect the Wiikey in any way besides making the config disc stop working, and that disc is useless anyway, so whatever.

10. NeXsus

Newcomer NeXsus Member

Canada
    If nintendo really wanted to ban existing modchips owners they would have done so already ( I own several legit games and VC games rock ) so what do they do instead, cut pins and create unmoddable chipsets ( for now ) and scare tactics in firmware updates to terrorize little paranoid Gerold about playing his bootleg copy of Naruto... If you cant take the heat get outta the kitchen, or wait in line at walmart for your copy of *

my two cents [​IMG]

11. salad

Newcomer salad Newbie

Sweden
    Just go get it done by a pro or something, if you want it. The extra buck they charge is easily worth it, tbh.

Also, you won't brick your Wii by just opening it. No really, the most you can do is forget to reconnect a few cables when putting it back together. Which is sort of not necessary as the only reason you'd want to open your own Wii would be to either find out what kind of drivechip you have or mod it yourself, which by the way you're speaking, is probably something out of the question.

12. xbandaidx

Member xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Last I checked, is that Drive mods such as Wiikey cannot be detected. It really depends on what KIND of mod your chip is. There are different kinds such as firmware mods, drive mods, etc.

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    That fear is the price you pay for stealing wii games if you do it. Going to have to side there with paul. I know it makes not much sense, but I guess perhaps it's not liking to see them get pirated stupid when the finally have a system that's making headway for the first time in over 10 years. Happy bricking! If not now, eventually when some update flies though you'll need for the system or is sneakily put on through a game.

14. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    Oh the irony

15. Wuschmaster

Member Wuschmaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    modding will kill your laz0r after a few months

16. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Because the homebrew and piracy underground are part of their business. Were they to completely eliminate modchips and such then they would lose a certain fanbase.

[on-topic] If you're not good with soldering then you should hace someone else do it for you, someone with some electronic experience. It's easy if you know what you're doing. Nothing involving soldering something onto an expensive piece of electronics is "Completely Safe." Either grow a pair or have someone else do it for you, preferably a pro.

17. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    I dislike ds pirates who think they are hot shit because they can download a ROM and put it on a card. My 8 year old sister has a pink DS and a knows how to use a USB flash drive, even she could be in the "DS scene"

anyway....
    Most of the modding scene deals with soldering, if you can't be bothered to replace your Christmas present from the 'rents then I'd say it's not worth the risk to do it yourself.

18. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Got any evidence to back that up?
    My Wii's been fine and I've had it modded since I first got it [​IMG]

19. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    He probably has not. Some people think that because some wii's laser got screwed, they can shout around that WII MODDING = FUCKED UP LASER....

20. pitoui

Member pitoui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I dunno if you were trying to be funny but my wii's been chipped for ages and the lazer is better than ever.. well maybe not better but you know what i mean