I'm selling my 3DS XL...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Gettwobirdsstone, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Gettwobirdsstone Triforce Guardian

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Behind you breathing heavily
    I'm curious, as I've read that you can remove your Nintendo ID from the eshop and the digital games will remain on the console, correct me if I'm wrong. But, my question is, will this effect my Wii U in anyway? I use the same Nintendo ID on my Wii U. I'm basically trying to sell my 3DS with all my eshop 3DS purchase without giving away my Nintendo ID, as I have the ambassador games and a ton of eshop titles.

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    your digital purchases are tied to the NNID, and there's no way you can get around this I'm pretty sure. you have to format the console to unlink the NNID but this will also remove purchases from the console.

3. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Can't I just go on the Eshop and remove my Nintendo ID without formatted my 3DS?

4. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    no you have to format to remove an NNID from a 3DS console. that's the only real way to do it.

5. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    is there a way to transfer purchases to a new Nintendo ID?

6. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    no, they're only linked to your ID and can't be transferred to other IDs or consoles (without moving the ID as well). sorry but you just won't be able to "unlink" the purchases from your NNID :(

7. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    If I deleted my credit card from the Nintendo ID, can my account be shared? But couldn't someone who purchased my 3DS delete my Nintendo ID from their end and I'd be screwed, in a manner of speaking.

8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    yes if someone can access your ID, they can do anything they want with it; including delete it which would delete the ID and everything associated with it, including your Wii U purchases.

I know, it sucks, but you just can't give those purchases to someone else.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  9. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    I wonder if I called saying my 3DS was stolen, if they could transfer my purchases to my fiance's Nintendo ID and then format my 3DS and system transfer her ID, which isn't attached to my Wii U, then sell it?

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    if you call them you'll probably be able to link your ID to a different console but that won't remove the purchases from the ID.

11. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    just spoke to Nintendo, basically their just transferring all my 3DS purchases to my fiance's Nintendo ID within 5 days, and I get to keep my Wii U purchases on my Nintendo Id. Then after I can system transfer her Nintendo ID to my 3DS and sell all the eshop titles. Nintendo is dumb, as I already stated to them I was trying to sell my 3DS with all the games, and they just made it way easier for me. LOL

12. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    well I've never seen that happen to be honest, so that's good :)

Arubaro likes this.
  13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah but now whoever buys it will be effectively banned from online games and the eshop unless they format the system........so your basically ripping them off

14. qi_synergist

qi_synergist Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    im guessing your 3ds is officially up to date? if not why not just install cfw & download the games on there.. either way its piracy if you include the games

i wouldnt say nintendo is dumb in that aspect for giving you good customer service in this matter.. then what gamesquest1 said, can let you understand why they were so carefree. might as well sell it without the games and save the buyer some hassle

15. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    how do you mean, the purchases are ties to the 2nd Nintendo ID, which they will have the password and all the personal info they need to keep the games.Maybe what I said wasn't clear, All my 3ds games are being individually being moved from my NNID to my fiance's NNID, so her 3DS and NNID will have all the games, completely removing them from mine. So, then I'm going to system transfer the games back to my 3DS, which has been formatted, download all the games on mine again, and give the password and personal info attached to my fiances NNID to them.

Last edited by Gettwobirdsstone, Apr 11, 2016
    gamesquest1 likes this.
  16. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    and in this plot of yours, your fiance doesnt care and has nothing on her 3ds she cares about

Gettwobirdsstone likes this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Oh it sounded like you were just planning to have Nintendo do a remote system transfer, which just means your NNID is unlinked from console A at which point you can download all your games on a different console and still leave them on console A

This would technically dupe all your purchases except system A is now blocked from online stuff untill they format to remove the now unlinked NNID

But if nintendo have allowed you to transfer all the 3ds purchases from NNID A to NNID B while leaving the wiiu purchases I guess that would be pretty cool I wouldnt have though nintendo would have really done anything like that