Hardware I'm really confused on how the Xbox 360 handles dvd drives....

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... I'm really confused here. From what I know, the console and the dvd drive are linked right? And if the dvd drive goes bad, you can't just throw a new one in right?

So I just got a 360 from a friend. No shell or hdd. The top of the dvd drive is gone too. Anyway, I am not going to use it for piracy so I went to update it, but it gave an error code. I looked it up and I guess it means that the console was tampered with. So I unplugged the dvd drive and tried again. Eventually I just started to experiment with plugging things into the sata port because I was bored.

I plugged my PC dvd drive into the xbox and it stopped throwing errors. It updated just fine. I can use the drive to listen to music. Idk about games yet, because I don't have any right now.

So basically I'm confused about why my PC dvd drive doesn't throw errors but the drive that I got it with does. Any ideas?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the make/model of the dvd drive is in the kv you can bypass it by spoofing the drive. it's been a long time since I've messed with the dvd drive, so I may be remembering wrong.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're going to need the drive key. how to obtain it varies from one make/model to another. when I flashed my drive, only two of four sata connectors in my desktop would pick it up. I'm not sure what you mean by updating unless you mean updating the system.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're going to need the drive key. how to obtain it varies from one make/model to another. when I flashed my drive, only two of four sata connectors in my desktop would pick it up. I'm not sure what you mean by updating unless you mean updating the system.
What I mean is:

I got the xbox with the original dvd drive. It wouldn't let me update the system because it says that the console was tampered with.

I put my pc drive in. It let me update the system.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starting on a dash revision from... 2011 I think, DVD drives were flashed on phat consoles to support a modified format with more security and data density.

At first, updating with no DVD drive would work, eventually if no drive was connected, the system would E64 or E66 if it found no drive controller.

This will also be an issue if you update the console with a Samsung or Hitachi connected with a Ben Q or Lite On in the OSIG - the latter are interchangeable if you have the DVD key, the former can work if the drive OSIG is spoofed properly, though not with the newer format since they lack any ability to read AP25.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure what happened there. if the make/model is different, it could lead to a ban. I think that's when you need to spoof. I've never heard of anyone doing what you did, so I don't know how it's working. I doubt it will work for games though.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure what happened there. if the make/model is different, it could lead to a ban. I think that's when you need to spoof. I've never heard of anyone doing what you did, so I don't know how it's working. I doubt it will work for games though.
Can you test what I did to see if it works with different dvd drives? I only have one sata drive.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you restore the drive to stock?
Try updating it then.

MS has put checks in to verify the DVD drive.
You mean the original drive that was in the Xbox? I'm not sure how to do that. I just got the xbox and I don't have the tools to flash the drive.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hmm, technically seen, you just need the PCB intact to extract the keys.

You can try one of the SATA ports on your PC, hook it up and see if Jungleflasher picks it up.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the error the official dvd drive throws you. What dashboard version are you on. Are you comfortable opening your pc and plugging sata cables to it. what dvd drive make and model came with the xbox?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Run Jungleflasher.
Use the 360 as a powersource and power the drive.
See if the drive gets detected when you refresh the I/O Port in the DVDKey32 tab in Jungleflasher.

If it does, I'd say try and dump the firmware.
If not, see if you can get a hold of a cheapo VIA SATA card or a X360 USB.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the error the official dvd drive throws you. What dashboard version are you on. Are you comfortable opening your pc and plugging sata cables to it. what dvd drive make and model came with the xbox?
The error ended in C000 0099

I'm on the latest dashboard version now.

My pc is open because my gpu and psu don't fit into the sff case lmao.

The drive is a Lite-On. idk what model.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Run Jungleflasher.
Use the 360 as a powersource and power the drive.
See if the drive gets detected when you refresh the I/O Port in the DVDKey32 tab in Jungleflasher.

If it does, I'd say try and dump the firmware.
If not, see if you can get a hold of a cheapo VIA SATA card or a X360 USB.
It says it can't install portio64.sys

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this an xbox 360 slim? if so halt what you are doing. You may need specialized hardware. Take a picture of the lite-on. I can help you better that way.
if its a phat, it most likely is a 16d2s.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Liteon drives only require a probe to be dumped.
You can make one your self.

Try reinstalling it with admin privileges.
Refer to the Jungleflasher documentation on how to install everything.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liteon drives only require a probe to be dumped.
You can make one your self.

Try reinstalling it with admin privileges.
Refer to the Jungleflasher documentation on how to install everything.

Thought that late 16d4s required the kamikaze nonsense no? and 16d5s are not flashable to this day. Unless i am sorely out of date. Also neither of those surrender the key easily upon request unless you rgh first for 16d5s and do kamikaze for later revision 16d4s.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this an xbox 360 slim? if so halt what you are doing. You may need specialized hardware. Take a picture of the lite-on. I can help you better that way.
It’s not a slim I think.

Attachments

• A2812EEA-4B11-4629-BD4C-2CA0CC10936E.jpeg
    A2812EEA-4B11-4629-BD4C-2CA0CC10936E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 201

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16d2s!
nice. retrieving the key shouldnt be too bad. Check some quick tutorials on how to retrieve the dvd key from 16d2s. backup your firmware regardless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a