Hardware I'm really confused on how the Xbox 360 handles dvd drives....

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the disk spins up, then stops and it goes from reading, to open tray on the xbox. It doesn't even attempt to keep it spinning and read it so idk.
Laser isn't picking up the disc - any retail/burned game would be showing Play DVD assuming it's a key mismatch.

You can try tweaking the laser pot, I mean very small adjustments without a multimeter and see if you can get it running again. I've personally fixed my own DVD drive three different occasions in a year and another for a friend by simply tweaking until you get retail discs picked up, then until burned discs get picked up. You only need to mess with CD if you want play... CD.

Xbox_360_DVD-Drive_16D2S_VAD_6038_DVD_Pot_Laser_Tweak.jpg

Last edited by lisreal2401,
Reactions: DinohScene

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, so I finally got a legit Xbox 360 game (GTA IV) and when I try to play it in my pc drive on the Xbox, it says to insert the game into an Xbox 360 console.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No PC drives will allow you to play xbox 360 games on a console. Without a matching DVD key, no drives will work to play retail games and no PC drives are made with such keys that you could replace with your own. Movies and audio would work. If you think the drive you have is the original but doesn'T read discs properly , you could always buy a new laser and try that drive or take the PCB and place it in another working DVD drive of the exact same model. Otherwise your only solution is to RGH/Jtag your console , boot xell and get the dvd key. From there inject it in a real 360 drive. No other trickery you might want to try will let you play games .. Otherwise hacking a 360 would be a total joke (not like its really hard , but it still isn't that simple as to swap a drive that wasn't modded). Thing is , if you RGH or Jtag .. you won't even need a drive then because you should install all your games on a hdd instead, faster and much more reliable than aging xbox 360 dvd discs. So , unless you plan on modding the console , stop wasting your time because you won't achieve anything.

Reactions: DinohScene

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, I know what you mean i have seen Xkeys for 20 bucks in a lot of places. Personally and just because i like homebrew i rather spend the 5 bucks on glitch chip and call it a day. Thats neither here nor there in this case though :P.

Where did you see Xkeys for 20 bucks? I see only the lcd panel for that price.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended