I'm on the verge of dropping out of high school. Any ideas from both sides?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by smileyhead, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead Secret Society BLANKET

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Why should I drop out? Why should I stay?

I want to work in IT, either as an employee or by myself, while streaming as a hobby. Any thoughts?

CallmeBerto likes this.
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Most jobs are gonna require a high school degree/GED to be hired. Especially IT, pretty sure you need a high school diploma. Don't end up like what my two sisters and older brother did, they all dropped out of high school. Are you wanting to drop out because it's too hard? Tough it out and just complete it.

You want an education, and if you want to go to college, high school will make it easier to be accepted. There's no benefit to dropping.

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Stick it out, then intern at an IT office

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd stay in school, I regret dropping out but I'm opening me own gamestore soon.

Idk mate, I'd stay in school till you got the papers and then never look back.

lcie nimbus, cearp, driverdis and 8 others like this.
  5. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    I'd say you should ask people around you or at least someone in the same city/country. The importance of a high school degree varies from place to place. In most asian countries for example, it is basically a minimum requirement for every single non-labour job.

But most importantly why would you consider dropping out in the first place?

6. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    If you look at it like a game, you can find easy ways to get around the oppressive nature of school. I skipped exactly 180 days of school over four years, which means I only did three years of school, but still got a diploma. I also found out about diversified occupations, which lets you leave early to go to work. I also did vocational technology, another way to leave school early.

I'd stay in school to make your life easier because most places won't hire you at your age and getting a diploma later in life will cost you time and money, unless you decide to go to jail for free education, but then you'll have a record and that might just be an American thing.

You should also look at school like a place you can meet people who may share your interests. They may even help you decide on colleges or give you good advice.

7. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    A lot of successes in life are achieved by overcoming shitty situations. If you can't even complete highschool it probably illustrates your lack of potential.

Last edited by Fugelmir, Nov 4, 2017
    Orangy57, Jacklack3, FFT and 7 others like this.
  8. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    dropping out is a bad idea. itll follow you the rest of your life.

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Stay in school, and at least finish High School. Don't make the same mistake I did. I regret it so much.
    In fact, I was lucky to actually find a pretty decent job in a grocery store, that is enough to pay my bills and afford some extras.

10. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    The fact of the matter is, rightly or wrongly, the world revolves around qualifications (there's always the 'who you know' factor, but that's something to appreciate rather than rely on). When it comes to job interviews, loan arrangements, or even getting your end away, you'll get more favourable terms if you have qualifications.

You want to work in IT? Well... you've chosen the right place to be earning mega bucks. In the UK, at least, there are more jobs being created than there are people to fill them. But guess what? You're only going to get a decent job in the industry if you have a degree... Otherwise you'll end up as a glorified janitor (with only marginally better pay), cleaning sweat drops from between the keyboard keys in the tech lab which you may well have posted your question from...

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. Gizametalman

Gizametalman Banned

Banned
    Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Man, I finished school but didn't got my diploma.
    I'm an artist, and got some jobs here and there in Galleries, and as Character designer for Videogames and Comics.
    Then I was offered a Scholarship in a certain Art School, but in order to receive it I need my school diploma.
    I didn't dropped out, just had some problems with certain teachers (fucking assholes) and that prevented me from receiving.
    Nowadays, I'm about to finish highschool yet again, while working for an Comic Company.

Once I complete school, will try to study Software Engineering and perhaps try to get a Scholarship in another art school or maybe in a Videogame Programming school.
    :)

My advice: Do not drop out. I know the feeling, the urging to try the world all by ourselves. Truth is, without school you can't get too far by yourself.
    So, have patience, life is too short to spend it chasing a dream.
    I'm not saying to stop chasing your dreams, but have this words in mind:
    A HIGHSCHOOL DIPLOMA WILL GET YOU WHEREVER YOU WANT TO BE FASTER.

12. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    At the computer.
    That's probably a pretty bad idea.
    Wherever you go, it will be a lot harder to have any real opportunities.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  13. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc Master of the Script Kiddies

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Training some more Script Kiddies
  14. tatripp

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    In California, you can take a test to get the equivalent of a high school diploma. If you drop out, do that. As a high school teacher, I can honestly say that a few students would be significantly better off without high school. You must be very motivated though.

15. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It's not as bullshit as dropping out of high school, totally unnecessary. And Comptia certification doesn't last that long, either, so yeah. Don't encourage people to drop out of high school, it's kind of a loser route to take. Don't be so antagonistic.

16. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    just dumb lazy people drop school
    stay in if you want to have a future

17. bennyman123abc

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    You have to understand that high school just isn't for some people and there ARE alternatives, that being one of those alternatives.
    @smileyhead If no one here has said anything that has made you want to stay in high school, find an alternative. If you can't find an alternative you're interested in, then you should drop out. Otherwise, research and internships will be your best friend from now on.

18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Comptia doesn't last that long though, it's not permanent. There was no need to call what I said "bullshit", that was just bloody rude :angry::glare: How about I not say anything at all, and not help people with my experience and advice? Because to me, it sure as hell sounded like it. Does that sound like a viable path for me to take? Sound good? Thanks for the unwarranted and bitter criticism, I look forward to more of your constructive critique.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Nov 4, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  19. bennyman123abc

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    I apologize. It was just sounding like you were telling him he HAD to stay in high school to get a job in IT, which I have proven false.

20. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well, I'm sorry if I care about people getting a proper education and not taking the easy way out. *sigh* I need a break.

monkeyman4412 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.