Hacking I'm on an ancient Henkaku (2016) - any risk of updating? What will I loose?

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I haven't updated my Henkaku (and therefore not visited the Henkaku page on my PSTV) since I installed it first in October 2016. I'm on 3.60 and I'm using the offline installer since 2016. Of course I also can't use NoNPDRM dumps or repatch since this was way before those became the standard. Sadly the Sora no Kiseki the 3rd fan translation forces me to update since I can't use the patched eboot.bin on my maidump version of that game for some reason. Few questions:

1. Is there any risk involved jumping from such an ancient Henkaku version to the newest?
  2. I just visit the Henkaku page as on my initial installation right?
  3. Does the offline installer still work and do I need to delete the old offline installer/delete the offline installer mail?
  4. This is VERY important: I have tons of maidumps and I don't want to loose the ability to play those just for Sora no Kiseki 3rd... Will Mai still work flawlessly as it did until now if I update Henkaku? Any issues with newer Henkaku versions since 2016?

Reactions: yuyuyup

RikuNoctis

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1. Of course not. If you follow the installation guide for HENkaku/H-encore (read everything first) you won't have any problems. So, there is no risk besides you messing up the process and having to start all over again.

2. The process is technically the same (Enso it's somewhat easier now, actually) and if you already did it with the previous version you won't have any issues with the current one as it's not that difficult (and remember, the installation guide for HENkaku/H-encore is easy to follow, and you can find a lot of videos/tutorials made by the community that explain everything you need to know).

3. You don't really need the offline installer. If you want to stay in 3.60/3.65, Enso will do wonders for you once you set it up.

4. With the recent developments, Maidumps are simply a thing of the past. While you certainly can still use them, they still (and will) present issues (like the save data one). While you can "solve" said issues with certain old workarounds, it's recommended you use NoNpDrm dumps, which are simply better than any Maidump. Maku sure you backup your saves (decrypted ones, that is) first if you want to start using a NoNpDrm version of any game you have played before.

I'd recommend checking this: https://vita.hacks.guide/
It has a pretty easy-to-follow guide to install and use the exploits for Vita, depending on the firmware you are actually on.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But does a newer Henkaku version introduce problems with Maidumps that weren't there before? Again, Mai worked flawlessly for me until now and it would be stupid if I'd started replacing all my Maidumps with NoNPDRM now. It's just too much work and time wasted. I just want to make sure that jumping to the newer Henkaku version will not cause new problems with that.

Last edited by moonblood666,
Reactions: yuyuyup

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try going to 3.65 Enso. Later Exploits are not started up at Boot. You have to run/trigger them, which is possibly a Problem if you want Plugins or Storage Options at Boot.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But does a newer Henkaku version introduce problems with Maidumps that weren't there before? Again, Mai worked flawlessly for me until now and it would be stupid if I'd started replacing all my Maidumps with NoNPDRM now. It's just too much work and time wasted. I just want to make sure that jumping to the newer Henkaku version will not cause new problems with that.
I'm in the same boat, I'm pretty sure that mai stuff has better implementations (SOURCE: a wololo headline that I can kind of remember.) I hear different things, stay on 3.6, get to 3.65 (I'm pretty sure 3.65 is probably what most users are on, but why bother updating at all if apparently you can patch all 3.6+ games anyways?)

RedL

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm in the same boat, I'm pretty sure that mai stuff has better implementations (SOURCE: a wololo headline that I can kind of remember.) I hear different things, stay on 3.6, get to 3.65 (I'm pretty sure 3.65 is probably what most users are on, but why bother updating at all if apparently you can patch all 3.6+ games anyways?)
3.60 vs 3.65 is an old (and useless) debate.

Basically, the lower you are, stay there, it's just the same.

And Maidumps work good on 3.60 on latest Henkaku, provided you do that "create a file in a specific folder so your savegames won't disappear", but it was present from day one, so it's fine. There are NO differences in Maidump implementations (which AT BEST would mean there are differences in the Maidump VERSION of the dump). And anyway, Maidumps are just bad news, finish those games ASAP, or transfer your saves to a NoNpDrm version.

But, to reply to the original thread:
0. Stay on 3.60.
1. Install newest Henkaku.
2. Reinstall your offline installer (just in case).
3. (Optional) Instal enso for boot-time CFW (I do, it's great).
4. Install NoNpDRM, ReF00d, RePatch and pkgj.
5. Enjoy.

RikuNoctis

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Literally, it's quite the opposite: https://gist.github.com/TheRadziu/4d81d7882ebc5da339bc09a0bbe53f4b

There is nothing that Mai can offer that NoNpDrm can't do better and some more, even on 3.67/3.68. As the firmware is pretty much meaningless now, having Enso or not doesn't really affect the functionality of the plugins developed and widely used nowadays, along with the fact that Maidump games are still inferior to NoNpDrm ones.

To answer to your question again: using Maidumps with any of the newer exploits will still present whatever issues said Maidumps have had since back then since the issues don't come from HENkaku itself, but from the Maidumps. So, you can certainly use them, but you can't really expect them to work as easily/perfectly as a NoNpDrm dump with sudden issues at times.

As a side note, you can still use some of the Vitamin plugins released way back. Some of them still work (you'd need to test them, tho) even on the latest firmwares that can be exploited.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As a side note, you can still use some of the Vitamin plugins released way back. Some of them still work (you'd need to test them, tho) even on the latest firmwares that can be exploited.

Oh... Come to think of it I have quite some Vitamin dumps still.Could it be that the newest Henkaku might make some Vitamin dumps not working anymore? That would be a problem. Again: I don't want to replace my entire collection with NoNPDRM dumps just because one game I want to play requires updating my Henkaku.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being on 3.60 or 3.65 doesn't really matter a lot, as you can run higher firmware games with ref00d plugin, or you can use the compatiable pack. As for Nonpdrm it work on 3.60 fine, as long you have enso installed you never have to run henkaku again.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A question (and that is just hypothetically): Do I understand the following correctly...

• Installing Henkaku via their page is temporarily and once the Vita shuts down every instance of Henkaku is gone
  • Every time when visiting the page again after the first installation it re-installs Henkaku
  • The offline installer does the same as when visiting the page

So could I theoretically install the newest Henkaku, beat the only game I want to update Henkaku (for NoNPDRM) in the first place for (while always using the page to re-install it after a shutdown) and then after I've beaten it run the email from the offline installer with the previous version that I've kept to revert my Henkaku back to the 2016 version? Would this work or am I missing something? COuld this brick my PSTV?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A question (and that is just hypothetically): Do I understand the following correctly...

• Installing Henkaku via their page is temporarily and once the Vita shuts down every instance of Henkaku is gone
  • Every time when visiting the page again after the first installation it re-installs Henkaku
  • The offline installer does the same as when visiting the page

So could I theoretically install the newest Henkaku, beat the only game I want to update the system in the first place for (while always using the page to re-install it after a shutdown) and then after I've beaten it run the email from the offline installer with the previous version that I've kept to revert my Henkaku back to the 2016 version? Would this work or am I missing something? COuld this brick my PSTV?

You need to install Enso, it allow you to have permanent cfw.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know, I know... But I don't want to... I'm using the offline installer since 2016 and it works like a charm. If I could I would really like to keep my old Henkaku or revert it back after having played this one game. It served me well and I never had any crashing game or save file bug or anything.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I know... But I don't want to... I'm using the offline installer since 2016 and it works like a charm. If I could I would really like to keep my old Henkaku or revert it back after having played this one game. It served me well and I never had any crashing game or save file bug or anything.

At this point Sony doesn't give a crap about the Vita, suit your self, you can always load Henkaku through the url if you want to, anyway switch your game format from maidump to nonpdrm version, the scene only support nonpdrm now.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, it seems the ancient Henkaku was too ancient to update: I started the PSTV without using the offline installer, booted up the browser and entered henkaku.xyz and klicked on install. An error for the browser occured again and again. Now I cannot even install Henkaku via offline installer. What now?

Edit: OK it seems to work now. Seems I cannot update my old VitaShell (1.31) without reinstalling it...

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it seems the ancient Henkaku was too ancient to update: I started the PSTV without using the offline installer, booted up the browser and entered henkaku.xyz and klicked on install. An error for the browser occured again and again. Now I cannot even install Henkaku via offline installer. What now?

Edit: OK it seems to work now. Seems I cannot update my old VitaShell (1.31) without reinstalling it...

I would recommend just setting up enso, less headache.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Funny thing is: since I updated Henkaku I can somehow use the fan translation of Sora no Kiseki 3rd which is meant to be used on a NoNPDRM dump on my Maidump version of the game. Don't know why it works now. It didn't work before. I really hope the rest of my Maidumps and VPKs also still works since it would be a massive hassle to replace them with NoNPDRM versions.

RedL

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Funny thing is: since I updated Henkaku I can somehow use the fan translation of Sora no Kiseki 3rd which is meant to be used on a NoNPDRM dump on my Maidump version of the game. Don't know why it works now. It didn't work before. I really hope the rest of my Maidumps and VPKs also still works since it would be a massive hassle to replace them with NoNPDRM versions.
Again, updating Henkaku will NEVER affect the way your Maidumps/VPKs work.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I realized that... But I'm just an extreme case, I almost never update anything software related until I absolutely have to. I'm extremely paranoid, so if something works I try to keep the "status quo" for all eternity. Whenever I update something there is always this nagging feeling that something "might" not work anymore. That's just how my mind works. Well, anyway... I updated Henkaku and it works for now. guess I'll come back in three years and ask the same question. XD

RedL

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I realized that... But I'm just an extreme case, I almost never update anything software related until I absolutely have to. I'm extremely paranoid, so if something works I try to keep the "status quo" for all eternity. Whenever I update something there is always this nagging feeling that something "might" not work anymore. That's just how my mind works. Well, anyway... I updated Henkaku and it works for now. guess I'll come back in three years and ask the same question. XD
Updated my own Henkaku two weeks ago. Everything is still good, Maidumps are still working properly, so are NoNpDrm games, and I can now access the PSN for some stuff from time to time. So really, save yourself the hassle (and stress) and just go for it :)

bigwillyg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are lost causes and are still afraid of their own shadow. No matter how much sense it makes this guy is still just gonna play around with the whole "newer is scary" catch phrase. No point in advising him, he just won't get it.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more