... I'm not going to be able to sleep now ¬_¬

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by R4Liam, Dec 4, 2011.

Dec 4, 2011
  1. R4Liam
    OP

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhd05ZVYWg

1 person likes this.

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I have a strange love for documentaries.
    I love to watch them and learn more about the things they explain.

1 person likes this.
  3. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    Hawking knows what he's talking about. I attended a lecture by him about a month ago, very interesting. No idea how this would cause you to be unable to sleep, though, as pretty much all that is mentioned in this documentary has been known for ages. There is no god, get over it.

EDIT: you can watch the lecture here, should you be interested.

4. R4Liam
    OP

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    No I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. I have always said there is no god but this documentary has just opened my eyes to all the theories and possibilities and I keep on thinking of my own theories based on these facts. Just to clarify I still think there is no god.

5. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Sir.
    You just made me very jelous.

2 people like this.
  6. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    There has to be a "sometihng" though . God or whatever you wanna call it.

7. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    Oh, I see. Great to hear that mate, I like you already.

1 person likes this.
  8. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Multi universe.

A plausible theory for the Big Bang occurance.
    If two Universes collided with eachother it could release so much force that it created our universe.

9. R4Liam
    OP

Member R4Liam Artsy Dude

United Kingdom
    I would say the bits that fascinated me but cba to do that right now, it's 2:53 where in UK right now. But I love anything about this topic :) and no there doesn't HAVE to be something that created everything in the way you mean (one creature, god). People just can't handle the fact that life is so spontaneous and right now (and probably forever) we cannot ultimately control our fates.

10. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    Hawking thinks there is no god.
    Einstein thinks there is.

.........WHO TO BELIEVE?!??!?!?!

2 people like this.
  11. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Then where did these "other universes" come from? And in what space would this collision have occurred in? Three-dimensional? Four? Five? How big are these universes?

12. Bobbyloujo

Member Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

United States
    Halking's whole theory here hinges on the idea that time didn't exist before the big bang. To support this he compares the infinitely dense pre-big bang universe to a very dense black hole. He states that inside a black hole time stops. Maybe I missed something... but did he ever prove that time does actually stop inside a black hole? He simply said that time, like light, can't escape a black hole's gravitational pull. Light and time are two very different things. Light is made of particles, which are effected by gravity. Time isn't made of particles and so what evidence do we have to believe that time is effected by gravity? I don't believe that black holes are any different from any other object in our universe. I don't believe that they really tear a hole in our universe. They are simply really big collections of matter that happen to pull light in towards them which makes them appear black, but they are still solid objects. Is there any other reason for people believe that they are holes other than that they are black?

One final question, why does the universe have to be the thing that came from nothing? Why can't God be the thing that came from nothing and then He created the universe?

EDIT: waiting a half an hour for a rebuttal makes an argument boring >.

1 person likes this.
  13. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    For what Hawking said to be true, you have to assume our current models of general relativity and, most particularly, quantum mechanics are right. Sadly for him, there is much ambiguity on the subject. Which is why we have theories like String theory and Loop Gravity theory trying to reconcile the two great sets of natural laws. It just so happens that, according to String theory, our Universe is within another, bigger one, which contains other universes. The debate over God's existence hasn't come to an end yet. It has just begun.

14. Helpful Corn

Member Helpful Corn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hawking is a nitwit

15. Pyrmon

Canada
    That's... constructive?

16. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Well if you don't believe there is a God, I fail to see why you'd be unable to sleep. One of the most fascinating things about science is the ability to change a theory, discover more about us and who we are and just about our universe in general. Science (in itself) has never claimed to be set in stone unlike what some people teach. If I could count the times human's models of science were thrown completely out the window.... :P

But seriously OP explain, why wouldn't you be able to sleep? Is it a fear of a possible God or an excited kind of not being able to sleep? :lol:

17. Pyrmon

Canada
    I'm going to guess it's the whole breakdown of causality at the quantum level. It is pretty mind-boggling when you think about it. Well, that is, again, if our current models are right, which I sincerely doubt, given the amount of effort is put into new, alternative, theories.

18. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Everyone wants to be a game-changer. :P

19. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Stephen Hawking, the world-renowned theoretical physicist? The author of countless peer-reviewed and critically acclaimed works? Who exactly are you?

20. Helpful Corn

Member Helpful Corn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm also nitwit. Let's assume that time didn't exist because of the dense black hole, that black hole still existed, so where then did the mass of the black hole that held time come from? You end up right back where you started. Time must of existed in a negative, not nil form, which makes the whole thing an endless loop.

------------------------------------

an atemp to clarify my position:

in order for something to exist, nothing must exist, but then nothing is something which can't exist without nothing. In order for nothing to exist everything must exist. I think this is a question that can never be answered because we don't have words or concepts for it. Existance does exist, but in order for existance to exist non existance must also exist its an endless causality loop.