Hacking I'm making an app to check if your Wii has been region changed

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Australian Wiis are just like European PAL Wiis with the country code set to Australia. I'm in Oz and have definitely had my Wii set to Australia (via AnyRegion Changer) at some point.

I think it only matters for the Shop Channel and Wii Fit (gives different units options depending on country, kgs, lbs, st).

Can't remember where my Wii thinks it is at the moment though.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Australian Wiis are just like European PAL Wiis with the country code set to Australia. I'm in Oz and have definitely had my Wii set to Australia (via AnyRegion Changer) at some point.

I think it only matters for the Shop Channel and Wii Fit (gives different units options depending on country, kgs, lbs, st).

Can't remember where my Wii thinks it is at the moment though.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll keep this as a standalone app, but I also plan to implement it into BLIND.

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
nice, it works just fine. Got the expected output.

This software will be useful to anyone who's lazy to check the stickers on their Wii consoles, just to check what original region is or for those console who changed their Wii house casing, (like mine, change it to crystal casing XCS) who just dump their old casing to their trashbin and no longer able to determine what model it is.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
nice, it works just fine. Got the expected output.

This software will be useful to anyone who's lazy to check the stickers on their Wii consoles, just to check what original region is or for those console who changed their Wii house casing, (like mine, change it to crystal casing XCS) who just dump their old casing to their trashbin and no longer able to determine what model it is.
It's not for lazy people, lol. It's in case the Wii case has been swapped so the sticker no longer reflects the true region of the Wii.

Naguz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just wanted to chime in and say I think this is useful. Most people who regionchange a Wii to resell probably has a pretty standardized way to do it. Changing the serial number would be an extra hassle - either they would need to make a new valid serial for every Wii, or they would give all of them the same serial, which is, naturally, not a good idea. As none of the most used region changing tool changes the serial atm, there is a good chance close to 0% of the currently region changed Wiis have a changed serial.

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to chime in and say I think this is useful. Most people who regionchange a Wii to resell probably has a pretty standardized way to do it. Changing the serial number would be an extra hassle - either they would need to make a new valid serial for every Wii, or they would give all of them the same serial, which is, naturally, not a good idea. As none of the most used region changing tool changes the serial atm, there is a good chance close to 0% of the currently region changed Wiis have a changed serial.
Thanks. This is being added to BLIND and I've shared the code with jskyboo so he will add it to Wii Mod.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this app only checks for the serial number? If I were to change the region by writing a virgin 4.3E NAND to my system and made sure the serial number prefix was for the PAL region, then your app would think my Wii's original region was PAL, right?

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
So this app only checks for the serial number? If I were to change the region by writing a virgin 4.3E NAND to my system and made sure the serial number prefix was for the PAL region, then your app would think my Wii's original region was PAL, right?
Right, but that's not a common practice. It is a lot of extra work to do that if you want to region change a Wii. They would have to softmod a Wii, then dump the NAND, then create a new NAND that was region changed, then restore that NAND, then softmod it again. Why do that when you could just softmod it once and be done? Also, what purpose would it serve? Until now, there hasn't been an app that checks the serial number from setting.txt.

I have stated multiple times that it isn't fool-proof, but there is like a 99.99% chance that it's right.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Right, but that's not a common practice. It is a lot of extra work to do that if you want to region change a Wii. I have stated multiple times that it isn't fool-proof, but there is like a 99.99% chance that it's wrong.
Sounds contradictory to me, u sure u meant to say "wrong"?

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Right, but that's not a common practice. It is a lot of extra work to do that if you want to region change a Wii. I have stated multiple times that it isn't fool-proof, but there is like a 99.99% chance that it's wrong.
Sounds contradictory to me, u sure u meant to say "wrong"?
Sorry, I I meant to say right.

Btw, see my edit for more reasons.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a region changed Wii from JAP to USA. I want to run this and am pretty sure this app only reads the file so there's no chance of bricking right? Or should I take a NAND backup just in case?
It's read-only. Worst case scenario is the app fails to read your setting.txt and exits, which would have no affect on your Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass