OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol, okay. Have a good night

If I were to go through a standard region change (use AnyRegionChanger to change everything to a PAL setting and then install all the correct wads for that region), my serial number in setting.txt would still start with LU.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well then the person who wrote that app did an incomplete job of changing the region. It is still an unreliable method.

I could go and use punes nand builder app to make a pal nand for me and any method you choose to check what region the wii is will show that it is a european wii. Nothing will ever show you that it was an NA model wii.... and I can even changed the sticker to convince you even more if I so damn well please.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Well then the person who wrote that app did an incomplete job of changing the region. It is still an unreliable method.

I could go and use punes nand builder app to make a pal nand for me and any method you choose to check what region the wii is will show that it is a european wii. Nothing will ever show you that it was an NA model wii.... and I can even changed the sticker to convince you even more if I so damn well please.
You could do that, and then my method wouldn't do any good. There is no doubt about that. Why would you though?

The purpose of region changing a Wii and optionally swapping the case (I assume that people would have the common sense to check the sticker first before running this app) is to increase it's market value. Once it has been sold, nobody would care if it was discovered that it had been region changed, they already have the money. Besides, checking setting.txt isn't something any other app does AFAIK, since there is no function for it.

Should nobody use this app, that's perfectly fine with me. It's just something I thought of and wanted to try.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, people should care because if it is a korean wii and they do an official update and get all official IOS's then that wii will get a 003. That is enough of a reason to not want to get stuck with a region changed wii. And afaik, the most common wii that does get region changed is the korean wii because it is so damn cheap there.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, people should care because if it is a korean wii and they do an official update and get all official IOS's then that wii will get a 003. That is enough of a reason to not want to get stuck with a region changed wii. And afaik, the most common wii that does get region changed is the korean wii because it is so damn cheap there.
The person who sold it wouldn't though.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
then wtf is your basis for the app if you are not concerned about the end recipient? Do you want the current owner to be able to tell if he region changed it before he sells it? You are confusing me with this whole idea.

But, fear not. Like I said, there is already an app to check for the korean key. I'm someone else will remember the name.

Are you trolling me? Should I expect Ashton Kutcher to come out with a camera at any moment now?

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
then wtf is your basis for the app if you are not concerned about the end recipient? Do you want the current owner to be able to tell if he region changed it before he sells it? You are confusing me with this whole idea.
I'm saying that if someone is going to region change a Wii to sell it, they still have no motivation to edit the serial number in the setting.txt file. For that reason, the serial number should still reflect the original region if you bought a region changed Wii.

I'm someone else will remember the name.
If you are drunk, it's totally not showing. :rofl2:

Edit: I think I found out why it was returning ??? instead. I'm about to update the file in the first post.

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
i had a japanese console and I didnt region changed it. What I can see on the screen is

"Your Wii's Original region was ???"

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OK, just tested boot 3.dol on both my PAL and KOR wiis, and it worked fine.

Did you still want me to dump my setting.txt though?

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old USA Wii which I region changed to PAL a long time ago using AnyRegion Changer to go from 3.2U to 3.2E.

I ran boot 3.dol and got:
Code:
Your Wii's original region was USA
Press HOME to exit
Success!

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
OK, just tested boot 3.dol on both my PAL and KOR wiis, and it worked fine.

Did you still want me to dump my setting.txt though?
Glad it worked, and no, that's fine.
I have an old USA Wii which I region changed to PAL a long time ago using AnyRegion Changer to go from 3.2U to 3.2E.

I ran boot 3.dol and got:
Code:
Your Wii's original region was USA
Press HOME to exit
Success!
Huzzah!

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
lol, that's nothing! You should have seen Foez when we were really partying during our last meeting. Let's just say, he was fall on his face drunk... literally, lol. And I ended up driving his car home that night, and reminding him of the events the following morning. Just goes to show you that American's have trouble keeping up with Canadian's when it comes to partying ;)

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Hey man, lets be fair here. I landed on my back laughing my ass off. Funny that I had you drive us back and you had no clue of where you were going and I could barely see anything enough to give you directions. LOL

good times. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: also scary