Gaming I'm looking to buy a new laptop!

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a laptop that won't break my bank account, something I can save up for fairly quickly but will be able to handle most of my gaming needs like Gamecube/DS emulation and so forth. The Laptop I'm looking to get as mentioned in the title, it a Toshiba Satellite so I'm gonna post the specs for both machines, for my laptop the Dell XPS M1530 and the Toshiba, from there I would like to know how up todate the processor is in the Toshiba as well as the Graphics card, both are AMD and I have never ever once had a PC or Laptop use AMD so any feed back would be great as I know there has been an on going debate on which is better between Intel and AMD!

Dell XPS M1530 Specs: (My Lappy is just over 4yrs old guys!)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800MHzFSB 6M L2 Cache)
Graphics Card: 256MB NVIDIA Gefroce 8600GT
Ram: 4GB DDR2 667MHz 2 Dimm
Hard Drive: 320GB 5400RPM (but is upgraded as of today to a 640GB 7200RPM @_@)

=================================

Toshiba Satellite (L875D-S7232)

Processor: AMD A8-4500M Accelerated (Doesn't mention speed)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7640G (doesn't mention speed or how many GB's of ram)
Ram: 6GB DDR3 (upgrade able to 16GB DDR3)
Hard Drive: 640GB (Note: doesn't tell me the speed though)

any hoot the screens on the both laptop as different to my laptop has a 15.4 inch wide screen WXGA+ Trulelife LCD with a 2.0 MP Camera as a posed to the Toshiba which has a 17.3 Diagonal Widescreen Truebrite TFT LED-Backlight screen. Well any help you guys can lend would be great, I play Aion and Mass Effect 3 as well a some other demanding titles, I've seen the laptop on display it looks nice and the screen is crystal clear, I also do allot of emulation as mentioned above! I'd like to also know how new the AMD stuff is in the Toshiba as a posed to whats out know and if its going to be a good buy?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For emulators like Dolphin and PCSX2, AMD won't help as much as an Intel Core i5/i7 series. Other emulators for PSX, Dreamcast, etc. AMD will be fine. I have a Core i7 2670QM and it runs like a charm.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in other words it will handle most if not all PC games like Mass Effect or Crysis 2 and emulators like Desmume fine thats all I needed to hear, thanks also whats the actual difference between AMD and the Intel Core i processors?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you get an equivalent speed AMD Phenom II and Intel Core 2 (or Sandy Bridge) CPU, the Intel CPU will score roughly 30-40% higher on benchmarks. This is because processor speed means almost nothing now, where as actual throughput (processing that gets done) is higher on Intel CPUs. This is why Intel CPUs are better at emulation.

Sandy Bridge CPUs (and Ivy Bridge) have integrated Intel HD 3000/4000 graphics, which are good enough to play Crysis (lowest settings) but are only marginally better than motherboard IGPs used to be.
AMD Fusion on the other hand (Llano, not Bulldozer) integrated AMD HD graphics (e.g. HD 6550D), which are much more capable at playing games on medium settings. This is better for games.

Alex221

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using a toshiba satellite right now lol,it's a great laptop though i havnt tried any emulation on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse