I'm looking for a flash cart.

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by HHx66, Aug 12, 2010.

Aug 12, 2010

I'm looking for a flash cart. by HHx66 at 6:29 AM (981 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. HHx66
    OP

Newcomer HHx66 Newbie

United States
    As the title says, I'm looking for a flash cart, I recently got an old model GBA (with an old afterburner installed and working still) and I'd like to pick up a flash cart that will work with it, I can't seem to find anyplace online that still sells GBA ones? Any links and suggestions on this?

2. WigWrm

Member WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What features do you wish the cart to have?
    You really only have 2 or 3 choices (some carts are hard to find).

Cart 1: EZ-Flash IV (moderately priced / uses a mini sd card to store roms)
    Cart 2: M3 Perfect (expensive / uses a micro sd card to store roms)
    Cart 3: Kensington Carts (cheap / use internal memory for roms)
    Cart 4: EFA-Linker (moderately priced / uses internal storage)

Do a google search or two and see what fits the bill for ya.

3. HHx66
    OP

Newcomer HHx66 Newbie

United States
    Just basic features, something to put homebrew/backups on, etc, nothing too fancy, I could realistically settle on any of them that get the basic job done, I'm just having trouble finding where to buy them from that's trustworthy and will ship to the U.S.

4. HHx66
    OP

Newcomer HHx66 Newbie

United States
    and of course it needs to work on actual GBA hardware, a lot of stuff I find is DS only.

5. WigWrm

United States
    The EZ-Flash IV is perfect if you don't need a cart with a real time clock.
    Here is a link to a reputable dealer http://realhotstuff.com/-c-124_58_109.html

It's $35 without the mini sd / microsd with mini sd adapter but it seems like a good price.
    The gba compatibility is very high and should serve your purposes well.

6. HHx66
    OP

Newcomer HHx66 Newbie

United States
    Don't need a real time clock, so to write things to it would I just use a SD/micro-sd reader? $35 is just in the price point I'm looking for so

7. WigWrm

United States
    The cart uses a mini sd card for rom storage and firmware updates. No gba flash card can accept sdhc cards so you are limited to a maximum of 2gigs of storage (buy a 2gb mini sd card or a 2gb microsd with mini sd adapter). These are fairly cheap (transcend 2gb mini sd is 8 bux on newegg).

The card itself has two types of internal storage whose names (acronyms) escape me at the moment. If you run your games straight off of the sd card then the rom image will be transferred to a temporary memory (games will have to be reloaded every time). It also contains a flash rom memory chip and will allow you to write one game (up to 32MB = 256Mb) on the card. This particular game can be run with or without the sd present because it is stored on the flash cart itself.

I hope it works out well for ya. If you need further assistance once you receive the card there are many threads and how-to's available on the forum.

8. HHx66
    OP

Newcomer HHx66 Newbie

United States
    alright, thanks for all the help, I'll probably be picking this up in the next month or so, just last time I dealt with any of this was wayyy back when lik-sang was still around and you needed linkers and all kinds of special software/hardware to do it properly, seems a lot easier now.