I'm going to buy a 3DS today, Am I well informed?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dakani, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Dakani
    OP

Dakani Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    Netherlands
    Hi all,

I have read all stickies and would like to know if I'm not missing anything to hack my 3DS and would like to ask Some questions.

I'm buying the old Nintendo 3DS if that will be of any help.

The firmware to hack is 4.5 to 9.2 and I can see what firmware it is if I take a look on the 3DS box right?

What size micro sd do you guys recommend?

Are the Roms hard to get and is it difficult to get your 3DS to play online? (Sorry if I can't ask this)

Also what flashcard is best? I was thinking about Gateway since it has the most features from what I could read in the stickies.

I hope someone can help me soon!

Last edited by Dakani, Nov 27, 2015
  2. maczilla

maczilla GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Bermuda
    stay away from bundled 3ds xls.

32GB is the sweet spot imo for a big enough volume beyond your hearts content for most purposes, I have a 16 and only found a handful of games I like anyway.

We dont share roms here, but they're not particularly hard to find (CIA files)

Dont get a flashchard if you have a 4x console please, just Custom firmware for free. But Gateway and sky3ds are your only options.

3. PandaMayFire

PandaMayFire GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    United States
    1. Yes, you can check the 3DS firmware by checking the serial number on the box I believe.

2. The size of the SD card is dependent on how many games you're planning to install. If you're planning on playing quite a few, 32GB should be okay for you. Games can range from 1-3GB.

3. The roms can be found with Google, we're not aloud to mention the site. But yes, they're easy enough to find. No, once you convert your roms to CIA, you're ready to play online. If you're going with Gateway, it's as simple as renaming the ROM with an extension (provided you're using your own ROMS and not pirating)

4. Gateway is the best, but you can also go with a CFW like RxTools.

Last edited by PandaMayFire, Nov 27, 2015
  4. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Most O3DS XL systems are lower then 9.2
    Even the bundled ones (MarioKart / Super Mario 3D Land / Super Mario Bros 2 / Kirby / Animal Crossing New Leaf / etc... )

5. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    All you need to know is 9.2 and under = good, 9.3 and above = bad.... Actually that's a bit harsh, but the truth is all the real fun is had on 9.2 and below :)

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I -think- any original O3DS, if brand new, will be under 9.2 because they stopped production. Supposedly 3DS XLs as well.

New 3DSes, a lot more tricky. There is a thread in this section with new 3DS firmware version by serial number. Be aware that you can't always rely on it, though. But it provides a rough guideline.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/

Last edited by Ammako, Nov 27, 2015
  7. Dakani
    OP

Dakani Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    Netherlands
    Thankyou all! I will order it and see what it will give me :)

8. Dakani
    OP

Dakani Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    Netherlands
    Hey guys I just called the store and they told me it comes with firmware 3.0.0-5E. What is the best thing for me to do with this firmware?

Also another question, is it possible to get dlc's like the one from smash 4?