Hacking I'm going to be purchasing a PS3 to mod and play backups. What do I need to know?

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Exactly as this post title states.

I am completing my collection of past gen systems, and I'm only missing a PS3.

I intend to mod it to upgrade the hard drive and play backups.

I realize I need to find one that is 3.55 and below, right? What is the best system to shoot for? (Phat, slim, etc)

Is there serial numbers or certain boards to look for?

If I can't find one that is 3.55 or below, is a mod-chip possible? (I've read a little about it, and I'm comfortable soldering, but what chip is the best, cheapest or easiest, and what systems do they work with?)

Basically any advice is helpful, and thank you ahead of time.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
the site I usually use is down. http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models
but this page http://wololo.net/2012/10/31/downgradable-ps3-models/ seems to use the same data as part of a guide.
use it to see what consoles can be downgraded.

You may be able to find a console with a 3.55 or lower firwware, but it's more likely you'll need to downgrade back to 3.55.
Downgrading involves some extra hardware and soldering.

Mod chips, there's an ODE designed for official firmwares but Sony have defeated it in the latest firmware.
Plus it doesn't allow for backups of PSN games, etc.

I prefer the Slim. I've got both and the Phat makes a lot of noise and produces a lot of heat, mine isn't even broken. I also prefer the physical power/reset buttons.
Both can be hacked, though the downgrade process is different for the early PS3 Phats since it uses NAND flash memory rather than NOR.

Reactions: KingUniverse

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
the site I usually use is down. http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models
but this page http://wololo.net/2012/10/31/downgradable-ps3-models/ seems to use the same data as part of a guide.
use it to see what consoles can be downgraded.

You may be able to find a console with a 3.55 or lower firwware, but it's more likely you'll need to downgrade back to 3.55.
Downgrading involves some extra hardware and soldering.

Mod chips, there's an ODE designed for official firmwares but Sony have defeated it in the latest firmware.
Plus it doesn't allow for backups of PSN games, etc.

I prefer the Slim. I've got both and the Phat makes a lot of noise and produces a lot of heat, mine isn't even broken. I also prefer the physical power/reset buttons.
Both can be hacked, though the downgrade process is different for the early PS3 Phats since it uses NAND flash memory rather than NOR.

Awesome, thank you for that information. That really helps. I might hit up a pawn shop and see what I can find as far as down-gradable machines. Are some easier than others to hard-downgrade?

I'll be getting my soldering/heat gun kit in the next week or so, so this will be my next move once it's here.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
If you want a PS3 with PS2 level compatibility, you'll need to get either CECHA (60GB with flash card readers) or CECHB (20GB no wifi or flash card readers) phat model PS3.
If you want a PS3 with decent level compatibility, you'll have to get either CECHC (60GB with flash card readers) or CECHE (80GB with flash card readers) phat model.
If you want a PS3 with poor level compatibility, any other model which can run homebrew will do.

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that info, I've found a pawn shop with some phats for $80, gonna see if I can luck out and get on with 3.55 or lower. If not, I've been looking into Cobra ODE, that seems the way to go right? I don't really need all the fancy homebrew and emulators, but those would be nice, but it seems like I'm most likely going to need to solder SOMETHING, no matter what route I go, what is the least headache inducing?

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I would go for a phat since it can play ps2 and ps1 games but there failure rate is very high but thats just me.

I'm definitely looking into phats, as I said, a local pawn shop has them for $80, I just don't know what I should be looking for as far as SKU or even what to do AFTER I get the phat. I know it would involve either downgrading the OFW (Anything up to 4.60 can be downgraded right?) or finding one still on 3.55 or below .. ... The more I'm researching the more I'm liking Cobra ODE

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm definitely looking into phats, as I said, a local pawn shop has them for $80, I just don't know what I should be looking for as far as SKU or even what to do AFTER I get the phat. I know it would involve either downgrading the OFW (Anything up to 4.60 can be downgraded right?) or finding one still on 3.55 or below .. ... The more I'm researching the more I'm liking Cobra ODE

if its above 3.55 you can and don't quote me on this downgrade it using hardware (E3 Flasher)

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
if its above 3.55 you can and don't quote me on this downgrade it using hardware (E3 Flasher)

That's the route I plan on going, most likely, unless I really dive head first into this Cobra ODE thing. I've read there's solderless ways to downgrade (preferable) but it depends on the NAND type and SKU. I'm running up to the pawn shop in a bit, I may end up purchasing one, so look forward to an update, hahaha. Thanks all for the help up to this point.

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
They had a 3001-B (320GB) for $30 .. ... I think I may go back and grab that one, the only problem is, they were all three "AS IS" but so far, neither of them have problems. The Slim even came with four games on the HD. I figure, for $30, the 3001-B's hard drive is worth that alone. I'll take a chance on it working or not and just salvage the hard drive if it's broken. I may end up trying to trade one of these systems for a flasher or just buying an E3 on Ebay for like $50 .. ... I almost bought a Slim 2501-B for $99 until a guy offered me the "AS IS" systems for such a ridiculous price.

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Gonna go ahead and skip the 3001-B since there isn't a way to downgrade at this point, and there's no sense in paying for an ODE when I already have two downgradable consoles that I got for $50 .. ... Unless someone else wants this 3001, or the hard drive in it, or wants to trade for an E3 flasher .. ...

KingUniverse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wirecon.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I ended up grabbing the 3001 for $30 and selling it later for $70 on Craigslist. That means I got the other phat and slim for $10. I ordered a 1TB 5400 drive and a paperback e3 flasher. I can't wait to get the ball rolling on this. I'll update as I upgrade and flash 8)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.