I'm getting into the GBA homebrew scene 5 years too late, help me.

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Bugstove, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Bugstove
    OP

Newcomer Bugstove Newbie

United States
    Okay, I'd like to start this off by saying I don't own a Nintendo DS, all I've got is a nice little Gameboy Advance SP. I know most of the flash carts on the market are geared towards the DS. I've looked at several older flash carts for the GBA, but the majority of them aren't for sale anywhere anymore. I took a look at the eLink and EFA, but after reading reviews (especially those for the eLink), I think I want something of a little higher quality. Of the older carts I looked at, the EZ-Flash III looked awesome but I can't find it for sale anywhere (for obvious reasons). Are the new EZ-Flash cards (IV and V) compatible with the GBA? Looking at a lot of these new cards, it seems that most of them are designed for the DS, but also support the GBA. Unfortunately, everything I read about them is from a DS perspective. Someone give me the lowdown on what I should buy if I just want to get started in GBA homebrew, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    The EZ-Flash IV is compatible with the GBA, but it lacks the real-time clock of the EZ-Flash III (shouldn't cause much of a problem unless you're into Pokémon). Your choice is basically between the EZ-IV and the M3 Lite Perfect at this point; the latter will be hugely expensive anywhere you find it, but it has the more impressive feature list with stuff like real-time save. I would say the M3 Lite Perfect is the best cart, while the EZ-IV is the best for its price. It's up to you whether the extra features are worth the extra cash.

EDIT: Oh, and the EZ-Flash V is a DS card; it goes in SLOT-1, so will not work on a GBA.

3. Bugstove
    OP

Newcomer Bugstove Newbie

United States
    So I suppose I should get a EZ-IV then, but I was under the impression that you actually needed a DS in order to flash it for some reason.

I think I'm going to order an EZ-IV from Real Hot Stuff, I should have no problem getting this to work with just my DS right?

4. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    aside from the fact that you said you don't have a DS it will work on any DS though if you do get 1.

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    That's needed with the EZ Flash V and the EZ Flash V 3-in-1. The EZ Flash IV is a standalone flashcart and can be used by itself on a GBA.

6. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Also, you might want to check DealExtreme, they have them in stock, and shipping is completely free!

You won't go wrong with EZ-Flash IV, as it's a fantastic cart!