Hacking I'm finally making the switch from SX OS to Atmosphere and I have a few questions

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
See title.

I have a 1st gen OG switch. Currently using SX OS. Sysnand is 7.0 (can't really remember) and my emunand is on 11.1

Before SX OS was a thing, I was using the early versions of Atmosphere to boot up my switch and play SNES games. Back in the good old days of 2018 when Atmosphere didn't support much and we were all hoping for some big news on June 15 lol. I still have NX Loader installed on one of my android devices.... anyways.

Where I have questions.
  • I found this guide, but it seems to "good to be true".
    • https://www.sthetix.info/migrating-from-the-sx-os-to-atmosphere/
      • Step 2 of the guide is what I believe applies to me (migrating an unpatched switch with emunand), am I wrong?
      • If I follow the steps shown in the video, will I lose all of my NSP games that are installed on my mirco sd card?
      • Is there something that's being omitted / a crucial step that isn't being included in this guide?
  • Do I need to have my micro sd card formatted to fat32 to run Atmosphere? (I have no intentions on running emulators, I just want to play switch games).
    • My sd card is currently set to exfat. One of my fears is that I will lose all of my games if I have to switch to fat32 / format my sd card.
      • And yes I know all about the pros and cons of exfat vs fat32, so no need to tell me why I'm wrong for using exfat lol.
  • I read that you can install XCI games on Atmosphere.
    • How do I do that? (feel free to link to an article / video)
  • I'm still using and early version of ChoixDuJour to upgrade my FW (as its never given me any issues), however I heard that its no longer supported, what should I get instead?
  • Can I use my SX OS dongle to inject the Atmosphere payload (instead of always having to use TegraRCMGUI)?
    • The payload injector for SX OS was one of the main reasons why I opted to use SX OS in the 1st place
  • Is it easier for me to buy a new micro sd card and start fresh?
    • If I do that, is there any way for me to keep / save my games that are installed on my old micro sd card?
      • Or would I have to re-acquire and install all of my non xci games?
As always thanks for the help.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let see assuming you are hidden partition, you can try the following

Go to Atmosphere GitHub and download the latest release and extract all files/ folders to the root of your SD

Create > emummc folder on the root of the SD

Create > emummc.ini file inside of emummc folder

Copy and paste this to emummc.ini

[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo <<< delete this line if you're not SX Users or don't want to keep using SX as your primary CFW

For XCI games you can try game installers like Awoo Installer, as it support installing XCI format games, daybreak now replace ChoidujourNX in term of firmware updating.

As for the payload to boot.dat you can try the following

https://gbatemp.net/threads/convert-any-payload-to-tx-boot-dat.518932/

You can use the SX OS emunand as your Atmosphere emunand partiition, emunand take 32GB of space if you don't plan to use emunand, then just switch to sysnand. You can backup your save with checkpoint and reinstall the game if you want. Can't recommend Sthetix too much as he makes a lot of mistakes in his video. If you want to format SD backup your data on the SD card on a computer or external HDD.

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let see assuming you are hidden partition, you can try the following

Go to Atmosphere GitHub and download the latest release and extract all files/ folders to the root of your SD

Create > emummc folder on the root of the SD

Create > emummc.ini file inside of emummc folder

Copy and paste this to emummc.ini

[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo <<< delete this line if you're not SX Users or don't want to keep using SX as your primary CFW

For XCI games you can try game installers like Awoo Installer, as it support installing XCI format games, daybreak now replace ChoidujourNX in term of firmware updating.

As for the payload to boot.dat you can try the following

https://gbatemp.net/threads/convert-any-payload-to-tx-boot-dat.518932/

You can use the SX OS emunand as your Atmosphere emunand partiition, emunand take 32GB of space if you don't plan to use emunand, then just switch to sysnand. You can backup your save with checkpoint and reinstall the game if you want. Can't recommend Sthetix too much as he makes a lot of mistakes in his video. If you want to format SD backup your data on the SD card on a computer or external HDD.

Thanks for the reply!

I believe I am using a hidden partition for my emunand... its been forever since I bothered to look it up.

Good info all around! Since you say Sthetix's videos have mistakes, are there any videos that you would recommend to switch from SX OS to Atomosphere?

And to create an emummci.ini file, do I do that by using notepad and then changing the extension to .ini?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply!

I believe I am using a hidden partition for my emunand... its been forever since I bothered to look it up.

Good info all around! Since you say Sthetix's videos have mistakes, are there any videos that you would recommend to switch from SX OS to Atomosphere?

And to create an emummci.ini file, do I do that by using notepad and then changing the extension to .ini?

You are better off following written guide, you can use notepad to create your ini file.

Reactions: Vic_Vinegar

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See title.

I have a 1st gen OG switch. Currently using SX OS. Sysnand is 7.0 (can't really remember) and my emunand is on 11.1

Before SX OS was a thing, I was using the early versions of Atmosphere to boot up my switch and play SNES games. Back in the good old days of 2018 when Atmosphere didn't support much and we were all hoping for some big news on June 15 lol. I still have NX Loader installed on one of my android devices.... anyways.

Where I have questions.
  • I found this guide, but it seems to "good to be true".
    • https://www.sthetix.info/migrating-from-the-sx-os-to-atmosphere/
      • Step 2 of the guide is what I believe applies to me (migrating an unpatched switch with emunand), am I wrong?
      • If I follow the steps shown in the video, will I lose all of my NSP games that are installed on my mirco sd card?
      • Is there something that's being omitted / a crucial step that isn't being included in this guide?
  • Do I need to have my micro sd card formatted to fat32 to run Atmosphere? (I have no intentions on running emulators, I just want to play switch games).
    • My sd card is currently set to exfat. One of my fears is that I will lose all of my games if I have to switch to fat32 / format my sd card.
      • And yes I know all about the pros and cons of exfat vs fat32, so no need to tell me why I'm wrong for using exfat lol.
  • I read that you can install XCI games on Atmosphere.
    • How do I do that? (feel free to link to an article / video)
  • I'm still using and early version of ChoixDuJour to upgrade my FW (as its never given me any issues), however I heard that its no longer supported, what should I get instead?
  • Can I use my SX OS dongle to inject the Atmosphere payload (instead of always having to use TegraRCMGUI)?
    • The payload injector for SX OS was one of the main reasons why I opted to use SX OS in the 1st place
  • Is it easier for me to buy a new micro sd card and start fresh?
    • If I do that, is there any way for me to keep / save my games that are installed on my old micro sd card?
      • Or would I have to re-acquire and install all of my non xci games?
As always thanks for the help.
https://rentry.co/mys8q

Reactions: supermankb

sh0wst0pper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let me know how you get on with emunand stuff. I have the same as you - OG switch, hidden emunand and sxos. I am also thinking about removing emunand and switching to atmosphere. I really dont want to lose all my saves though!

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the reply!

You can also keep your Sxos Emunand (shrinked) to keep Xci loading from usb if you use it, and set up a second EmuMMC for atmosphere that will be updatable past 11.xx

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can also keep your Sxos Emunand (shrinked) to keep Xci loading from usb if you use it, and set up a second EmuMMC for atmosphere that will be updatable past 11.xx
Do you have any steps or guides that I can follow to do what you said?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you have any steps or guides that I can follow to do what you said?
Have a look here in this thread : https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/
You will also go here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nx-nand-manager.533056/
To avoid struggling creating a partition for Atmosphere: https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/TegraExplorer

If you don’t understand or doesn’t know how to go, I will try to find sometime to give a more complete answer.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a newborn so I don’t have much free time to do the switch. I am planning on doing the switch tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how it goes / if I have any questions.

My plan is to buy a new sd card which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (this will b sx os card in case they ever come back)
Have a look here in this thread : https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/
You will also go here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nx-nand-manager.533056/
To avoid struggling creating a partition for Atmosphere: https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/TegraExplorer

If you don’t understand or doesn’t know how to go, I will try to find sometime to give a more complete answer.

I have a newborn so I don’t have much free time to do the switch. I am planning on doing the switch tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how it goes / if I have any questions.

My plan is to buy a new sd card (copy/paste current contents on it) which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (in case sx os ever comes back). Should I format my new sd card to fat32 or keep it on exfat?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My plan is to buy a new sd card which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (this will b sx os card in case they ever come back)

My plan is to buy a new sd card (copy/paste current contents on it) which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (in case sx os ever comes back). Should I format my new sd card to fat32 or keep it on exfat?
exFAT can corrupt your SD card unlike FAT32 so there is no reason to use exFAT.

Reactions: flowlapache

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

Sorry it took me so long to provide feedback (the joys of having a newborn).

I finally did the switch (pun not intended) last night but I'm having one issue.

Hekate isn't giving me the option to migrate my SX OS emunand. I believe this is caused because I am / was using a hidden emunand with SX OS.

I used this guide https://rentry.co/mys8q and it all worked perfectly (it auto boots into Hekate and I can boot Atmosphere)

I have also done this and added it to the newly created emmumc folder
[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo

But Hekate still doesn't see my hidden emunand from SX OS.

What am I missing here? Is there another step / way I can get Hekate to see my hidden SX OS emunand?
Sadly I updated my emunand firmware before I migrated so I can't use SX OS anymore (as it doesn't support 13.0)

I read somewhere saying I can still boot my switch using SX OS (then press the volume + button when I see the SX OS logo) and that will allow me to see / access my nand but because I followed the steps in the rentry guide, it now auto loads into Hekate every time.

Am I SOL (shit out of luck) with regards to getting back my hidden emunand?

Luckily for me my SD card is fine and I can still save all of my xci files that I have on it so it will only be all of my nsp's and my saved games that I will lose if I have to restore everything. Was just really hoping I could do the easy migrate and not have to lose all of my games / save files.

Elvvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hey there, I ran into the same issue today where migrate emunand option was disabled in hekate.
This is how I got it working:
1. Boot into sxos recovery mode (not sure whats the name, but its the screen where you can choose to boot into CFW or OFW)
2. Click Option tab -> emunand tab -> Move emunand to SD CARD.
3. Wait for the operation to complete, it might takes awhile.
4. After that just follow the steps in rentry.

I can migrate my emunand to atmosphere and boot into it after that. Hope it works for you too!

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hey guys,

Sorry it took me so long to provide feedback (the joys of having a newborn).

I finally did the switch (pun not intended) last night but I'm having one issue.

Hekate isn't giving me the option to migrate my SX OS emunand. I believe this is caused because I am / was using a hidden emunand with SX OS.

I used this guide https://rentry.co/mys8q and it all worked perfectly (it auto boots into Hekate and I can boot Atmosphere)

I have also done this and added it to the newly created emmumc folder
[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo

But Hekate still doesn't see my hidden emunand from SX OS.

What am I missing here? Is there another step / way I can get Hekate to see my hidden SX OS emunand?
Sadly I updated my emunand firmware before I migrated so I can't use SX OS anymore (as it doesn't support 13.0)

I read somewhere saying I can still boot my switch using SX OS (then press the volume + button when I see the SX OS logo) and that will allow me to see / access my nand but because I followed the steps in the rentry guide, it now auto loads into Hekate every time.

Am I SOL (shit out of luck) with regards to getting back my hidden emunand?

Luckily for me my SD card is fine and I can still save all of my xci files that I have on it so it will only be all of my nsp's and my saved games that I will lose if I have to restore everything. Was just really hoping I could do the easy migrate and not have to lose all of my games / save files.

Hey there, I ran into the same issue today where migrate emunand option was disabled in hekate.
This is how I got it working:
1. Boot into sxos recovery mode (not sure whats the name, but its the screen where you can choose to boot into CFW or OFW)
2. Click Option tab -> emunand tab -> Move emunand to SD CARD.
3. Wait for the operation to complete, it might takes awhile.
4. After that just follow the steps in rentry.

I can migrate my emunand to atmosphere and boot into it after that. Hope it works for you too!

Why did you guys switch from SXOS? It still works in 2021.... I'm playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond on SX OS and Switch firmware 11.0.....................So I am sorry to inform you that you are having issues for no reason, and should have probably stayed on SXOS.

Anyone SXOS users who may be reading this and are thinking of switching to atmosphere, DONT!. There is literally NO REASON TOO as of 11/13/2021.

If you want to ask me questions or whatever just send me a pm

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did you guys switch from SXOS? It still works in 2021.... I'm playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond on SX OS and Switch firmware 11.0.....................So I am sorry to inform you that you are having issues for no reason, and should have probably stayed on SXOS.

Anyone SXOS users who may be reading this and are thinking of switching to atmosphere, DONT!. There is literally NO REASON TOO as of 11/13/2021.

Its inevitable. Just use both

Reactions: TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Its inevitable. Just use both

Yeah I agree. Both is a good option.

But to just clear up my previous point for anyone else reading this, I'd never recommend SXOS to someone who is new. I'd only recommend current SXOS users to stay on SXOS, since I always read about them having problems. I just think that people should wait until its absolutely necessary.

elad1212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya

What do you mean??
Sx os doesnt get any updates, how do you play new game that requires updated FW?
I wanted to move to atmosphere just because i cant update FW and cant play new games.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What do you mean??
Sx os doesnt get any updates, how do you play new game that requires updated FW?
I wanted to move to atmosphere just because i cant update FW and cant play new games.
You can remove the FW limitation (if the SDK : Software Development Kit is not too « high « ), when installing a game or an update. But it’s true that one day it won’t be possible to make them work on 11.0
It maybe already the case for some new games or updates

Last edited by Maupiti,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water