Hacking I'm finally making the switch from SX OS to Atmosphere and I have a few questions

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
See title.

I have a 1st gen OG switch. Currently using SX OS. Sysnand is 7.0 (can't really remember) and my emunand is on 11.1

Before SX OS was a thing, I was using the early versions of Atmosphere to boot up my switch and play SNES games. Back in the good old days of 2018 when Atmosphere didn't support much and we were all hoping for some big news on June 15 lol. I still have NX Loader installed on one of my android devices.... anyways.

Where I have questions.
  • I found this guide, but it seems to "good to be true".
    • https://www.sthetix.info/migrating-from-the-sx-os-to-atmosphere/
      • Step 2 of the guide is what I believe applies to me (migrating an unpatched switch with emunand), am I wrong?
      • If I follow the steps shown in the video, will I lose all of my NSP games that are installed on my mirco sd card?
      • Is there something that's being omitted / a crucial step that isn't being included in this guide?
  • Do I need to have my micro sd card formatted to fat32 to run Atmosphere? (I have no intentions on running emulators, I just want to play switch games).
    • My sd card is currently set to exfat. One of my fears is that I will lose all of my games if I have to switch to fat32 / format my sd card.
      • And yes I know all about the pros and cons of exfat vs fat32, so no need to tell me why I'm wrong for using exfat lol.
  • I read that you can install XCI games on Atmosphere.
    • How do I do that? (feel free to link to an article / video)
  • I'm still using and early version of ChoixDuJour to upgrade my FW (as its never given me any issues), however I heard that its no longer supported, what should I get instead?
  • Can I use my SX OS dongle to inject the Atmosphere payload (instead of always having to use TegraRCMGUI)?
    • The payload injector for SX OS was one of the main reasons why I opted to use SX OS in the 1st place
  • Is it easier for me to buy a new micro sd card and start fresh?
    • If I do that, is there any way for me to keep / save my games that are installed on my old micro sd card?
      • Or would I have to re-acquire and install all of my non xci games?
As always thanks for the help.

Hayato213

( -_・) ︻デ═一' * (/❛o❛)/
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let see assuming you are hidden partition, you can try the following

Go to Atmosphere GitHub and download the latest release and extract all files/ folders to the root of your SD

Create > emummc folder on the root of the SD

Create > emummc.ini file inside of emummc folder

Copy and paste this to emummc.ini

[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo <<< delete this line if you're not SX Users or don't want to keep using SX as your primary CFW

For XCI games you can try game installers like Awoo Installer, as it support installing XCI format games, daybreak now replace ChoidujourNX in term of firmware updating.

As for the payload to boot.dat you can try the following

https://gbatemp.net/threads/convert-any-payload-to-tx-boot-dat.518932/

You can use the SX OS emunand as your Atmosphere emunand partiition, emunand take 32GB of space if you don't plan to use emunand, then just switch to sysnand. You can backup your save with checkpoint and reinstall the game if you want. Can't recommend Sthetix too much as he makes a lot of mistakes in his video. If you want to format SD backup your data on the SD card on a computer or external HDD.

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let see assuming you are hidden partition, you can try the following

Go to Atmosphere GitHub and download the latest release and extract all files/ folders to the root of your SD

Create > emummc folder on the root of the SD

Create > emummc.ini file inside of emummc folder

Copy and paste this to emummc.ini

[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo <<< delete this line if you're not SX Users or don't want to keep using SX as your primary CFW

For XCI games you can try game installers like Awoo Installer, as it support installing XCI format games, daybreak now replace ChoidujourNX in term of firmware updating.

As for the payload to boot.dat you can try the following

https://gbatemp.net/threads/convert-any-payload-to-tx-boot-dat.518932/

You can use the SX OS emunand as your Atmosphere emunand partiition, emunand take 32GB of space if you don't plan to use emunand, then just switch to sysnand. You can backup your save with checkpoint and reinstall the game if you want. Can't recommend Sthetix too much as he makes a lot of mistakes in his video. If you want to format SD backup your data on the SD card on a computer or external HDD.

Thanks for the reply!

I believe I am using a hidden partition for my emunand... its been forever since I bothered to look it up.

Good info all around! Since you say Sthetix's videos have mistakes, are there any videos that you would recommend to switch from SX OS to Atomosphere?

And to create an emummci.ini file, do I do that by using notepad and then changing the extension to .ini?

Hayato213

( -_・) ︻デ═一' * (/❛o❛)/
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply!

I believe I am using a hidden partition for my emunand... its been forever since I bothered to look it up.

Good info all around! Since you say Sthetix's videos have mistakes, are there any videos that you would recommend to switch from SX OS to Atomosphere?

And to create an emummci.ini file, do I do that by using notepad and then changing the extension to .ini?

You are better off following written guide, you can use notepad to create your ini file.

Reactions: Vic_Vinegar

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See title.

I have a 1st gen OG switch. Currently using SX OS. Sysnand is 7.0 (can't really remember) and my emunand is on 11.1

Before SX OS was a thing, I was using the early versions of Atmosphere to boot up my switch and play SNES games. Back in the good old days of 2018 when Atmosphere didn't support much and we were all hoping for some big news on June 15 lol. I still have NX Loader installed on one of my android devices.... anyways.

Where I have questions.
  • I found this guide, but it seems to "good to be true".
    • https://www.sthetix.info/migrating-from-the-sx-os-to-atmosphere/
      • Step 2 of the guide is what I believe applies to me (migrating an unpatched switch with emunand), am I wrong?
      • If I follow the steps shown in the video, will I lose all of my NSP games that are installed on my mirco sd card?
      • Is there something that's being omitted / a crucial step that isn't being included in this guide?
  • Do I need to have my micro sd card formatted to fat32 to run Atmosphere? (I have no intentions on running emulators, I just want to play switch games).
    • My sd card is currently set to exfat. One of my fears is that I will lose all of my games if I have to switch to fat32 / format my sd card.
      • And yes I know all about the pros and cons of exfat vs fat32, so no need to tell me why I'm wrong for using exfat lol.
  • I read that you can install XCI games on Atmosphere.
    • How do I do that? (feel free to link to an article / video)
  • I'm still using and early version of ChoixDuJour to upgrade my FW (as its never given me any issues), however I heard that its no longer supported, what should I get instead?
  • Can I use my SX OS dongle to inject the Atmosphere payload (instead of always having to use TegraRCMGUI)?
    • The payload injector for SX OS was one of the main reasons why I opted to use SX OS in the 1st place
  • Is it easier for me to buy a new micro sd card and start fresh?
    • If I do that, is there any way for me to keep / save my games that are installed on my old micro sd card?
      • Or would I have to re-acquire and install all of my non xci games?
As always thanks for the help.
https://rentry.co/mys8q

Reactions: supermankb

sh0wst0pper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let me know how you get on with emunand stuff. I have the same as you - OG switch, hidden emunand and sxos. I am also thinking about removing emunand and switching to atmosphere. I really dont want to lose all my saves though!

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the reply!

You can also keep your Sxos Emunand (shrinked) to keep Xci loading from usb if you use it, and set up a second EmuMMC for atmosphere that will be updatable past 11.xx

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can also keep your Sxos Emunand (shrinked) to keep Xci loading from usb if you use it, and set up a second EmuMMC for atmosphere that will be updatable past 11.xx
Do you have any steps or guides that I can follow to do what you said?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you have any steps or guides that I can follow to do what you said?
Have a look here in this thread : https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/
You will also go here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nx-nand-manager.533056/
To avoid struggling creating a partition for Atmosphere: https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/TegraExplorer

If you don’t understand or doesn’t know how to go, I will try to find sometime to give a more complete answer.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Vic_Vinegar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a newborn so I don’t have much free time to do the switch. I am planning on doing the switch tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how it goes / if I have any questions.

My plan is to buy a new sd card which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (this will b sx os card in case they ever come back)
Have a look here in this thread : https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/
You will also go here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/nx-nand-manager.533056/
To avoid struggling creating a partition for Atmosphere: https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/TegraExplorer

If you don’t understand or doesn’t know how to go, I will try to find sometime to give a more complete answer.

I have a newborn so I don’t have much free time to do the switch. I am planning on doing the switch tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how it goes / if I have any questions.

My plan is to buy a new sd card (copy/paste current contents on it) which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (in case sx os ever comes back). Should I format my new sd card to fat32 or keep it on exfat?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My plan is to buy a new sd card which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (this will b sx os card in case they ever come back)

My plan is to buy a new sd card (copy/paste current contents on it) which I will install atmosphere on. My old and card will be my new backup (in case sx os ever comes back). Should I format my new sd card to fat32 or keep it on exfat?
exFAT can corrupt your SD card unlike FAT32 so there is no reason to use exFAT.

Reactions: flowlapache
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/KYyRMdx.mp4