Hacking I'm (finally) considering switching to A9LH, but I have my doubts.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
I just have my doubts, hoping somebody can clear it up for me. I've read through most of Plailect's guide, & they're a few things that I'm just doubtful in
Many thanks to whoever takes the time to answer my doubts.

trust me i used to be in the same boat, menuhax is crap compared to the stability/speed of a9lh.

switch over and you wont regret, it is basically the same as what you have now, whatever is working for you in your emuNAND right now,

will work the same way,no errors etc.

plus ,you get 100% boot and 2-3x faster than menuhax.

i recommend you to watch this video guide, watch through it once and then you can decide if u wanna do it,

edit: well oops! video was already posted, XD should do more reading.

but yeah, watch the guide mun.

I got it installed, then fucked up switching my emuNAND to my sysNAND.

why f*** up bro?
you mean you swapped your NANDs and you do not like it?

i am now using sysNAND only 'wiped my emuN' and (i have Aurei cfw) on all my 3ds consoles.. feels cleaner etc.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
trust me i used to be in the same boat, menuhax is crap compared to the stability/speed of a9lh.

switch over and you wont regret, it is basically the same as what you have now, whatever is working for you in your emuNAND right now,

will work the same way,no errors etc.

plus ,you get 100% boot and 2-3x faster than menuhax.

i recommend you to watch this video guide, watch through it once and then you can decide if u wanna do it,

edit: well oops! video was already posted, XD should do more reading.

but yeah, watch the guide mun.

why f*** up bro?
you mean you swapped your NANDs and you do not like it?

i am now using sysNAND only 'wiped my emuN' and (i have Aurei cfw) on all my 3ds consoles.. feels cleaner etc.

I flashed my enuNAND to my sysNAND, removing the A9LH install on it. This was before it was easy to switch them

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
I flashed my enuNAND to my sysNAND, removing the A9LH install on it. This was before it was easy to switch them

ouch.. and there was no (flash over but keep a9lh) eh? the new d9 has that option!

and i used it sucessfully on my og3ds, i guess you needed to dump/flash your CTRnand , i had done that first since there was no option to keep a9lh at the time.

as long as you got it fixed now, all's cool.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ouch.. and there was no (flash over but keep a9lh) eh? the new d9 has that option!

and i used it sucessfully on my og3ds, i guess you needed to dump/flash your CTRnand , i had done that first since there was no option to keep a9lh at the time.

as long as you got it fixed now, all's cool.
This was when the entire "CFW SysNAND" was just getting started, like 2 months ago. The easy tools we have now and the widely covered guides, didn't exist back then. So when I flashed my 10.5 nand to my sysNAND and broke it. There was no downgrade, other than hard mod, at the time. So I had it shipped out and a temp hard mod was installed, fixed everything and sent back. It was actually JacksonS who did it for me, which I still owe him big for that! I won't ever forget! He saved my 3DS and for that he deserves to all the praise from me!

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You don't need redNAND. There is very little difference between redNAND and emuNAND. The main advantage of using redNAND is it always uses the smallest possible NAND size, which means you will save a ton of space when creating multiple backups.

2. Assuming you follow the steps correctly, you will have cloned your emunand to your sysnand once you're done.

3. Yes it is safe to be on sysNAND as long as you block firm 0 and firm 1 from being patched (if you're going to use aureinand then you don't need to worry about this because the CFW will automatically do it for you)

4. No you don't need to constantly update your cfw

Melter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I guess I should probably apologize to make a thread like this because I know there's already threads like this one. Thing is that I'm pretty darn paranoid about this whole thing (heck, downgrading alone scares me), but I guess the ability to have a system that can recover from bricking without a hardmod (as well as the other features it has) tempts me. I just have my doubts, hoping somebody can clear it up for me. I've read through most of Plailect's guide, & they're a few things that I'm just doubtful in.
  • I have a US N3DSXL with sysNAND 9.2 & emuNAND 10.7, so I just start everything from Step 4 (unless I'm a total idiot when I read through the guide). But it mentions that I should have redNAND various times. Do I need it instead of emuNAND to do the process? If so, is it as simple as using Decrpyt9 for that, or is there more to it?
  • At the end of all this, I should have everything I had in my emuNAND into the A9LH sysNAND, correct; or is there something I have to do the switch?
  • Is it safe to be on sysNAND when using A9LH? I mean, updating it as a few button clicks away. I know you can start Decrypt9 before the Home Menu to resolve such a case, but again I'm paranoid.
  • If using a CFW supporting A9LH, specifically AuReiNand, do I have to constantly update it when new firmware releases?
  • Is there anything else I should know about when using A9LH, like homebrew issues, CIA problems, etc.?
Again, I'm terribly sorry that another thread like this one is in the forums, but I'm just terrified to pull off the mistake of the century here (I'm a bit clumsy...and I really like my 3DS).
Many thanks to whoever takes the time to answer my doubts.

1. No, emuNAND is fine.
2. After I followed the guide the sysNAND was fresh, so I'm not sure about this one.
3. Yes. Use AuReiNand, it is by far the best CFW right now. It will protect FIRM regions of your FW from being overwritten so you actually can update through system settings and your CFW will be preserved. Of course before updating to a new FW release I recommend to check online if it's safe since you never know when Nintendo might deploy some new check / workaround (although I believe it is unlikely).
4. No, it's the same as having official firmware. You dont need to update, but may need to down the road if games require a new FW version to run. Also again I don't see a reason why you wouldn't update.
5. The only the I recommend is to be patient and careful and follow Plailect's guide to the letter. You will be fine.

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
After a few hours of dumping, restoring, & hoping, I installed A9LH on the console! Thanks to everyone who kindly answered my doubts.
It feels so good to have a fast and guaranteed bootup, a setup to restore from even a brick, and no double-installing for GBA VC games. Heck, the GBA intro screen even sounds satisfying to hear.
Thanks again, everyone! :)

Reactions: LuigiXL

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I started on part 4 except in the Getting Started part it says to set MenuHax to Type 1 and change the trigger to D-pad down. Don't forget that.

Because I already had Cakes, I chose that Part 5 route, and was able to incorporate some of that.

Just out of curiosity why do you need to do that? I didn't when I did it (left it on type 2 with the L trigger set as bypass).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You should go for it! Today I successfully retrieved my second OTP from a New 3DS.
I always tend to follow MrMario2011s tutorial up til the 27th minute where it goes to the compiling part, which BTW you dont need to follow since you have a homebrew tool for that.

Although it's a bit out of date now even though it's only a month old, I'd recommend that anybody considering this should watch that video at least once since it gives a great overview of the process and then follow the github guide to the letter.

The process is much more user friendly now than it was a month ago but the video helps to give an understanding of what it is that you're actually doing.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just out of curiosity why do you need to do that? I didn't when I did it (left it on type 2 with the L trigger set as bypass).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Although it's a bit out of date now even though it's only a month old, I'd recommend that anybody considering this should watch that video at least once since it gives a great overview of the process and then follow the github guide to the letter.

The process is much more user friendly now than it was a month ago but the video helps to give an understanding of what it is that you're actually doing.

Maybe you don't. I have no idea. Plailect put that part in bold, so I figured I'd better do it.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the people that can do it so quickly are the ones that have already downgraded before and know what they're doing. Everyone stresses how you should take your time, so that's why it takes so long for a newbie to do it.
I did the wifes 3ds the other day in just around 2hrs(started around 10:15PM and finished around midnight). I had the sysnand back up from when it was originally downgraded for menuhax, I used a second sd card so I didn't have to back up emunand or the sd card. I'm not saying anyone should do what I did unless they know what they are doing lol.

While the 3ds was doing everything I set her sd card up with the proper files and deleted the un-needed ones.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought it was a problem if the emunand you have is setup via gateway launcher rather than emunand9?

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
C
After a few hours of dumping, restoring, & hoping, I installed A9LH on the console! Thanks to everyone who kindly answered my doubts.
It feels so good to have a fast and guaranteed bootup, a setup to restore from even a brick, and no double-installing for GBA VC games. Heck, the GBA intro screen even sounds satisfying to hear.
Thanks again, everyone! :)
Congratulation! I also decided to try it out after discovering your thread, and managed to complete it.....after 5 hours. Meh, at least it works. \o/

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Maybe you don't. I have no idea. Plailect put that part in bold, so I figured I'd better do it.

I think it could make the parts where you have to use mini pasta a little easier but I can't think of anywhere else in the process where it would make much difference tbh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)