I'm decided, I'm switching to the CycloDS Evo

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by VVoltz, Nov 24, 2007.

Nov 24, 2007
  1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Well, at the start of 2007 the only cart I had was my DS-X, after seeing the problems of the DS-X's forums and all the time I have to wait for it releases I got an EZV+3in1 (in february I think), after a month later I say a really cool offer on a CycloDS Evo and I also got one.

The DS-X is now working on my cousin's DS, so I kept using my EZV. I was 'happy' with it, installing GBA games on the 3in1 was easy, the menu was a little ugly but basically it was OK, my Cyclo was getting dusty but I knew I would use it someday.

In the last 2 days, 2 things happened:
    - First I tried to play my Mario Party DS with my cousin and guess what?, Download play wasn't supported.
    - A little earlier, I realized my DS's battery dried up while sleeping so I lost 3 hours played on my Nightmare Troubadour game.... =(, the EZV actually writes the save state to the card then you turn it on the next time, IF it was turned off properly... =(

So, after that I decided that I'm switching to the Cyclo, no more Download play compatibility issues, no more post writing save states and hello random skins!, I mean, I love my EZV, but the easy of copying GBA games to the 3in1 is just not worth it over the Cyclo. That's all.

2. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    Black Friday sales were awesome. Too bad they're over. [​IMG]

3. Seeker108

Member Seeker108 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So how does the cyclo save system work exactly?

4. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    It saves to the microSD on the spot (ie. when you actually save in game) since there is no capacitor to hold the save (I think this is how it works).

5. gigermunit

Member gigermunit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So im guessing you were using a older version of the kernel >_< because i didnt have the sav problem and i dont need to know save types.

6. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    I'm using 1.62, and yes this latest firmware also needs to write the savestate when you turn the DS on.
    I have to admit that it was bad luck for the battery to completely die when it was on sleeping mode, but still, with the Cyclo you don't have to worry about that.

7. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Eh well good luck, but I think its a waste of money to get the cyclo just because you forgot to charge your battery. Also I havent had any download play problems with Mario Party, but then everyone I play with has an EZFlashV too.... Maybe that has something to do with it?

8. Eyedunno

Member Eyedunno GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    He already had the cyclo though...

Anyway, yeah, just use Rudolph's 3-in-1 tool on your Cyclo, and you can still run GBA games.

9. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Welcome to the circle of winners, VVoltz. You are not alone in leaving DS-X to CycloEvo. You are among friends now.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Been pondering a purchase of the this, got an M3 CF and its time to move out of the dark ages. The only thing I'm concerned about is updates and that I hear some games have problems with some SD cards. Now the updates seem fine and regular just dunno about SD cards.

Yes r4 fanboys I did think about the r4 but the team don't seem that bothered about help its customers.

11. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    your going from one crappy card to another crappy card

save your self time and money and get a r4ds or a m3 real not simply

12. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    Wow, haven't seen one useful post from you.

R4DS is pretty low quality compared to the CycloDS.

13. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Nice trolling.

I've had the CycloEvo for a few months here, nothing but great things to say about build quality as well as the team, very polite, and fast on the response end. The community is fairly decent on their forums as well.

14. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    As in the build of the cart? Or the features of the R4DS?

~Nero

15. Runey

Newcomer Runey Member

Canada
    I gotta tell ya... you're mistaken about the saving. as long as you've saved the game, within the actual game (if you havn't saved, and your DS dies, you've lost your save data, no matter what you're using. PERIOD. if you've saved the game, even if you put it to sleep, the gamesave remains in the EZV's onboard flash memory.. it writes it BACK to the microsd card only when you're switching games, so that it can then save the savegame to that game instead. if you reload the exact same game next time you power on your DS, you're not loading anything from the microsd , the savegame remained in the memory of the EZV flashcart.

i personally, would say the main benefit of the cyclo seems to be the support for HC microsd cards, supporting 4gb+memory. that's all. I have had no issues with savegames or anything else, and when my game shuts off from extensive sleep mode, i don't cry if i havn't remembered to save the game, it's my own fault, just like it was YOUR own fault, not the EZV's. live with it.

and, to gigermunit, and anyone else who's wondering, yep you're right.. since 1.6, you don't even need to keep an updated savelist for EZV.
    not going to down or trashtalk anything else, but i've never, ever had an issue with my EZ-V. love it. just wish (now) that it supported micro SD HC cards.. for larger capacity. not a too-big deal though.

-Runey

16. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Cyclo has soft reset, in game Cyclo menu, slow-mo, backlight adjust (not through cheat codes), auto boot and some other stuff that I can't name right now. R4 has... soft reset. I'mma get a Cyclo soon, but right now they're not in stock. [​IMG]

17. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    That's exactly my point, and what ALL the flash cards do (as far as I'm concerned) BUT the CycloDS Evo.

I've been using the Cyclo for a good week now and I have to say that I'm satisfied with it, basically my flash cart using history is as follows:

DS-X -> EZV -> CycloDS Evo (I'm here)

Well, I'm still using my 3-in-1 expansion cart, works like a charm with the Cyclo.

18. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    Build of the cart. Features...meh, just a little.

19. roflmywaffle

Newcomer roflmywaffle Advanced Member

United States
    Mbmax (major contributor to the sosuke ezflash wiki and ezflash unofficial english forums) switched to another card (he did not specify, xsinthis (savelist maintainer) is switching to CycloDS or AceKard, several other users are switching to R4s.

We're done. The EZ Team BANNED some of us (IP adresses) from the Chinese forums for having a single thread for English users that was translated by Chinese speakers. They also banned our translators. They'll never get my business again.

EDIT: Talk about a change of heart. Xsinthis is now a beta kernel tester, the problems are over with (proxies worked back when I couldn't load with my own pc...whatever, everything works now), and they're telling us to expect an update in 1-2 days with cheat support, re-adding clean mode, and soft reset. Don't get too hopeful, but it looks like the team is responding again.