Hardware Im confused if my harddrive is dying D:

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all just really hoping to get some help with understanding crystal disk info or at least this result.

Im not expecting anyone to teach me the in's and out's just enough to understand why last night my hard drive made my X230 laptop bluescreen and reboot to 'detection error on HDD:0'

some info you'll probably need
was using my x230 last night connected to my tv via onboard VGA
was running fin up until i left it to go in the other room
when i came back the PC was not responsive and as soon as i went to hard reset it blue-screened(but was stuck at 0 percent)
it rebooted to the aforementioned error ;Detection on hdd 0'
i installed crystal disk info but now im confused as it says the disk is fine yet the results to me indicate otherwise

Power on count;1893
Power on hours;743
current / worst / threshold
read error rate 200 200 51
spin uptime 191 187 21
reallocated sectors 200 200 140
seek error rate 200 200 51
power on hours 99 99 0
re calibration retry 100 100 0
temperature 112 94 0
reallocation event count 200 200 0
uncorrectable sectors 100 252 0
write error rate 100 253 0

im also sooooo sorry for having to put it like this im not sure how i can link a image of it there doesn't seem to be a attach screenshot option.

I really desperately need to know if this drive is dying or if its just the stupid mount on this notebook.. the drive has slipped out when i moved the notebook a month or so ago but that gave a different error and i just pushed the drive heard a click and it worked until now.

its a western digital blue 5400 rpm slim 1 TB drive made august 2016 if that help anyone make any decisions. i feel like even though this was the intended drive size it doesnt fit snug as id like its a little small still. i have the skids that come on the original drive installed but they seem pointless. i think swapping for no skids and a normal 2.5 inch drive would fit better but ive been told it wont fit. they indeed will but without the stupid feet that seem to do nothing..

Sorry this is such a long post i think it needed ive tried to keep it to just need to know info. thanks in advance for any help guys :)

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure it does say features SMART, APM, NCO ill have a look though now thanks for the quick reply

i think the SMART status is 'Good' but that seems to be all i can find

Last edited by XpertNoobhacker,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The error is typically associated with a loose connection of the drive, not so much HDD death (at least in my experience)

Open the laptop back up and make sure the HDD is inserted all the way into the SATA port. If it's loose and the bracket isn't doing much to keep it still, find something you can use to keep the HDD in place, like a piece of cardboard or plastic (depending on how it's loose). I have multiple laptops that don't have any HDD bracket where I've used a bit of cardboard to keep it in place, never have a problem. It's a janky solution, but works in a pinch.

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah its strangely intermittent. it occurred and i felt the drive click out slightly the first time.
Even though the bracket seems tight if you try taking it out by hand its very stiff until you take the keyboard out and push from the inside. its a pain to remove without taking the keyboard up and i had a fight last night to get it out (about a 10 minute awkward shake) after i tried to push it in assuming it had slipped but there was no movement at all. Then after i removed and replaced the drive back in it read no issue what so ever. and also till today still no issues (i'm on it now)

the last main note is this drive seems very slow but i think that's because its HDD no SSD. when i first boot windows the drive activity skyrockets to 100 percent for two or three mins solid while cpu is at about 12 percent. not sure if this is normal. could just be the bottleneck of a sata drive at 5400 rpm tbh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.