Homebrew I'm confused as to what is going on with CFW / 11.3

andyd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went through the guide over the weekend to get CFW installed and patched to 11.2. I remember reading that this type of hack is great because it's low level and we can update firmware

So quickly things have changed, though, it seems. If I never go online, do I need to worry about 11.3 ruining things?

Hakeem3DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what if u installed a homebrew launcher cia does it still block it?
Yes. I installed it and it stopped working because HBL doesn't currently support 11.3(As of the time im writing the post). Everything else works, just wont be able to launch HBL to run homebrew until its updated.

Vlone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I installed it and it stopped working because HBL doesn't currently support 11.3(As of the time im writing the post). Everything else works, just wont be able to launch HBL to run homebrew until its updated.
:wink: dang, Im not sure if im going to update now

Reactions: Alpinesuper0

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
^^^
if you're using A9LH+Luma, you can update
I won't even suggest that either.
11.3 introduces NOTHING new, it was only made to trash homebrew and attempt to killed CFWs. Otherwise no new features, nothing really "stable." Just dunk on the community.

andyd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I'm new to this...

1) Will Nintendo to try to force the update?

2) Even if #1, can I just turn off Wifi and not update to 11.3 unless the guide is updated to address any issues with it?

I'm fine being on 11.2 and staying offline if that's what we should do

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are cia so...
I don't understand the answer, homebrew launcher is cia and doesn't work, games are cia and do work, fbi work or not? Are you saying that no installed cia work on 11.3?

With all due respect what's the point in replying at all with an unhelpful smartarse comment, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't understand the answer, homebrew launcher is cia and doesn't work, games are cia and do work, fbi work or not? Are you saying that no installed cia work on 11.3?

With all due respect what's the point in replying at all with an unhelpful smartarse comment, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.
The only reason why HBL doesn't work is because of the payloads for 11.3 not being available yet (they will be soon). FBI and pretty much everything else will work fine.

It wasn't a smartass comment, you just have no understanding of why the HBL cia doesn't work on 11.3.

Since I'm new to this...

1) Will Nintendo to try to force the update?

2) Even if #1, can I just turn off Wifi and not update to 11.3 unless the guide is updated to address any issues with it?
3DS updates cannot be forced, and you should just update to 11.3 if you have A9LH (but make a NAND backup before updating).

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

the cia isn't technically the homebrew launcher, it's a homebrew launcher launcher. to launch the homebrw launcher (no matter which way) you need a extra piece of software fitting to your 3ds version, the payload.

the homebrew launcher launcher as an installed cia still works, yet because of a missing fitting payload the homebrew launcher can't be launched.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
11.3 was a targeted update that updated the homemenu to have a NATIVE_FIRM requirement for 11.3 FIRM. This basically blocked out all CFWs using the ≤11.2 as well broke the reboot patches for several CFWs. This has basically forced all CFWs (expect Luma3DS because of the nature of Luma3DS,) to have to update to fix this. As well instead of targeting individual Homebrew entrypoints, it simply targeted the launcher. Which basically broke the homebrew launcher.
Basically, this update did a lot of damage to the homebrew/CFW scene. I seriously suggest NOT updating your 3DS until everything is confirmed working again.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only reason why HBL doesn't work is because of the payloads for 11.3 not being available yet (they will be soon). FBI and pretty much everything else will work fine.

It wasn't a smartass comment, you just have no understanding of why the HBL cia doesn't work on 11.3.

3DS updates cannot be forced, and you should just update to 11.3 if you have A9LH (but make a NAND backup before updating).
Awesome thanks. Obviously I have no idea how it works, hence why I had to ask and hence why their comment was unhelpful.
Unlike yours and bkfiit's comment which was helpfull and constructive so thank you both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool