I'm confused as to what is going on with CFW / 11.3

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by andyd, Feb 9, 2017.

1. andyd
    OP

andyd Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2007
    United States
    I went through the guide over the weekend to get CFW installed and patched to 11.2. I remember reading that this type of hack is great because it's low level and we can update firmware

So quickly things have changed, though, it seems. If I never go online, do I need to worry about 11.3 ruining things?

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    11.3 blocks Homebrew, so if you rely on Homebrew, don't update.

3. Pokem

Pokem GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    ^^^
    if you're using A9LH+Luma, you can update

Xiphiidae likes this.
  4. elCerebrain

elCerebrain Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    Colombia
    Bogotá, DC
    11.3 still blocks you from using Homebrew Launcher so if you want or need to install/use non-injected homebrew you shouldn't update yet.

5. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Isn't that what cxitool is for? https://github.com/Poryhack/3dstools/releases

UPDATE: It looks like @smealum got it working on 11.3 though no release yet.

Last edited by nl255, Feb 9, 2017
  6. Vlone

Vlone Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    what if u installed a homebrew launcher cia does it still block it?

7. Hakeem3DS

Hakeem3DS Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States
    Yes. I installed it and it stopped working because HBL doesn't currently support 11.3(As of the time im writing the post). Everything else works, just wont be able to launch HBL to run homebrew until its updated.

8. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    Homebrew Launcher CIA still uses the same payloads, and there isn't a working payload released for 11.3 yet.

9. Vlone

Vlone Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    :wink: dang, Im not sure if im going to update now

Alpinesuper0 likes this.
  10. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    It's only the Homebrew Launcher which won't work right now. Everything else will work fine if you're on A9LH+Luma.

Just wait a day or two and smealum will have a new payload out so that you can use the HBL again.

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I won't even suggest that either.
    11.3 introduces NOTHING new, it was only made to trash homebrew and attempt to killed CFWs. Otherwise no new features, nothing really "stable." Just dunk on the community.

12. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    What about retroarch installed as cia's and twl loader cia, they broken too atm?

13. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    They are cia so...

Xiphiidae likes this.
  14. andyd
    OP

andyd Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2007
    United States
    Since I'm new to this...

1) Will Nintendo to try to force the update?

2) Even if #1, can I just turn off Wifi and not update to 11.3 unless the guide is updated to address any issues with it?

I'm fine being on 11.2 and staying offline if that's what we should do

15. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I don't understand the answer, homebrew launcher is cia and doesn't work, games are cia and do work, fbi work or not? Are you saying that no installed cia work on 11.3?

With all due respect what's the point in replying at all with an unhelpful smartarse comment, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

16. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Secretly Nintendo is on "Team Luma" :rofl2::rofl2:

17. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    The only reason why HBL doesn't work is because of the payloads for 11.3 not being available yet (they will be soon). FBI and pretty much everything else will work fine.

It wasn't a smartass comment, you just have no understanding of why the HBL cia doesn't work on 11.3.

3DS updates cannot be forced, and you should just update to 11.3 if you have A9LH (but make a NAND backup before updating).

Last edited by Xiphiidae, Feb 9, 2017
  18. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    the cia isn't technically the homebrew launcher, it's a homebrew launcher launcher. to launch the homebrw launcher (no matter which way) you need a extra piece of software fitting to your 3ds version, the payload.

the homebrew launcher launcher as an installed cia still works, yet because of a missing fitting payload the homebrew launcher can't be launched.

19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    11.3 was a targeted update that updated the homemenu to have a NATIVE_FIRM requirement for 11.3 FIRM. This basically blocked out all CFWs using the ≤11.2 as well broke the reboot patches for several CFWs. This has basically forced all CFWs (expect Luma3DS because of the nature of Luma3DS,) to have to update to fix this. As well instead of targeting individual Homebrew entrypoints, it simply targeted the launcher. Which basically broke the homebrew launcher.
    Basically, this update did a lot of damage to the homebrew/CFW scene. I seriously suggest NOT updating your 3DS until everything is confirmed working again.

20. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Awesome thanks. Obviously I have no idea how it works, hence why I had to ask and hence why their comment was unhelpful.
    Unlike yours and bkfiit's comment which was helpfull and constructive so thank you both.