nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered all the parts for my Chiip (seeing as it beat Wiip to the punch with releasing code). I should have all the parts in a few days and will build it ASAP (I have lots of free time, should only take a few hours). I ordered parts for a few, so we'll see what happens ... it was pretty chiip.

Anyone built one yet? There are mixed reports floating around as to how well it works ... but it could be that the people it doesn't work for have D2B chipsets and didn't look. I don't, so I'm lucky.

I have two DVD burners and many different types of media (+ and -) so I'll compile a full report if someone doesn't beat me to it. Also, I have an NTSC-U unit ... if someone can put a PAL release on a fast FTP server, I'll d/l and test the region patchers (specifically WiigionFree).

If I'm not the first, oh well, but if I'm the first to build a Chiip, I'll do my best to report back how it goes!

EDIT: Forgot ... I'm going to build a Wiip too and compare the two. This project will at least keep me entertained for two weeks!

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cool! good luck with your project
biggrin.gif

badzoo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If I'm not the first, oh well, but if I'm the first to build a Chiip, I'll do my best to report back how it goes!

Too late, mate. I have already built it
tongue.gif

Resume: ATmega8L-8, 3.3v Vcc, DMS, PAL- backups work, but original discs do not, so you'd better wait for new firmware (anything with version greater than 1.0 beta 2)

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to build one as well, although I might wait it out for a bit to see what really happens. If it only boots backups, that's fine, I was planning on putting the chip externally with a socket, so that's no big deal when I want to play Wii Sports or when Smash comes out.

I'm sure too, that Cadex will release new firmwares and receive a lot of help to be able to do so, so I'm sure these problems are only temporary.

He's mentioned making code for PIC chips also, which would be awesome as they're much easier to find locally, and also cheaper.

nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In addition to building the Chiip, I think I'm going to skip the Wiip (Chiip and Wiip seem interchangable, with Chiip coming out on top IMO) and instead I'm going to build a PIC programmer and try the WiiFree solution. I'm currently deciding on a DIY programmer.

While waiting for my parts from Futurlec, whom I'm never going to deal with again, I've gathered up some media -- I will be trying four different media types, all DVD-R: Ritek, Verbatim, TDK, and the cheap Staples brand! I have two DVD burners -- an NEC and a brand new Lite-On Lightscribe drive. I will get the exact models for my full testing report.

I have downloaded innumerable games thanks to newsgroups. I will be trying everything I can and finding the best solution for myself. I will probably be trying:

Call Of Duty 3 (NTSC-U)
WarioWare Smooth Moves (NTSC-U)
WiiPlay (NTSC-U)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (NTSC-U)
Fire Emblem (NTSC-J)
Luigi's Mansion (GC)
Paper Mario: 1000 Year Door (GC)
Mario Kart Double Dash (GC)
GCOS (attempting multi-boot)

If there is anything capable of patching from PAL to NTSC-U/J, then I will test that out as well. Also, if there is a problem game that someone wants me to test, let me know and I'll make sure I've downloaded it to try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay