I'm bricked. Error 160-0101. Can I recover with a backed up nand?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by nooburger, May 12, 2017.

1. nooburger
    OP

nooburger Newbie

Newcomer
    May 12, 2017
    United States
    So I bricked my Wii U in grand fashion. The mod Gods were quite impressed with my level of disregard to all written warnings. Anyhow, I decided to factory reset it while CBHC installed.

Now, I boot to an error screen. Error Code: 160-0101

I do have a backed up NAND including mlc.bin, otp.bin, seeprom.bin, slc.bin, and slccmtp.bin.

The dump was made after CBHC was installed.

Can I recover with my dump. If so, how? Hardmod?

Thanks for any help.

CatmanFan and retrofan_k like this.
  2. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I guess I'm exaggerating.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    Felek666 and retrofan_k like this.
  3. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    The console is basically a Potato now, and a hard mod is the only way to recover it.

CatmanFan likes this.
  4. nooburger
    OP

nooburger Newbie

Newcomer
    May 12, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the reply. Is there a guide you can link to that explains how to recover with a hardmod?

5. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Hardmodding the eMMC is pretty simple, but hardmodding the NAND is much harder and requires extra hardware. I think you need to hardmod both to restore a NAND backup.

7. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Another bricked cbhc wiiu down the drain!!! I did only say just a while ago these are happening with members at least twice a week now. That list is going to be huge @wiiubru.com in a few years time, it is sad though its happening on such a regular basis, what a waste of a good console, R.I.P WiiU:(

Edit: I still say they should lock the cbhc thread down and make it so your forced to make the cbhc.elf file from the master-folder. Then if you can complete that process I would of thought your knowledge would be very good installing it! or uninstalling it for that matter as well.

Last edited by Reecey, May 12, 2017
    ThunderbInazuma likes this.
  8. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    It's not a problem with CBHC. It's a user error. How many times to we tell users not to format after installing CBHC? You can't force people to read the instructions.

Every single console mod out there has brick risks when you don't follow instructions. Stop blaming CBHC. It's user error

9. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Yeah there are plenty of warnings on your way to installing CBHC, people deserve what they get tbh.

10. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    At least @nooburger was smart enough to get otp.bin. all is Not lost.

Buy a teensy++ and you should be able to solder it and fix your brick!

Subtle Demise likes this.
  11. queendude

queendude GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    Germany
    [​IMG]

retrofan_k and CatmanFan like this.
  12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I need a bricked Wii U with a nand backup so I can write an unbrick guide. Looks like a prime candidate. You wanna send it to me?

That's my summer project.

Hell if I can't find one I'm days away from just purposefully bricking my own so I can write a good step by step for unbricking

Last edited by Kafluke, May 12, 2017
    digipimp75 likes this.
  13. recgame77

recgame77 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Cameroon
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. franchy

franchy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    Canada
    You would actually be able to "unbrick" a bricked Wii U without having a nand backup for it? *just curious*

PS: Nintendo we know you read these threads, give us the tools!! Lol (one can only dream)

15. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    We don't have a way right now. Need otp.bin and tennsy++ hard mod

16. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I just don't bother with cbhc. Most games I play run in ofw sysNAND via usb, and anything else is a quick haxchi launch away.

MUDD_BR likes this.
  17. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    At least you have a full backup. So you are able to unbrick it with a hard mod and soldering. If you have the skills required to install the hard mod anyway.

To be honest, installing the hard mod to the WiiU motherboard isn't hard at all. Soldering in general isn't hard, if you got the right tools for the job.

I bought a Hakko soldering station a while back, and I bought an extra soldering tip with it, it's an extra fine tip made just for things like this. It's when the JTAG mod first came out for the Phat Xbox 360 consoles, so I had to try installing the JTAG mod myself, because I love hard modding consoles by soldering onto the consoles motherboard. Lol.

If you do install the hard mod your self, you should practice soldering on dead PCB's or dead motherboards. Also, do your research about SMD soldering, you will learn a lot in just a few hours of reading written tutorials about soldering on motherboards and small PCB's.

I wish I had another WiiU so I can try a hard mod to restore a bricked WiiU with a backup. Lol.

Good luck! And dont forget to come back to tell us how it went for you.

18. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Then the forum would be filled with people complaining about how to compile, compiling errors or people spreading around elfs which could cause other issues e.g. older versions, malware, etc.

I don't think the bricks will stop until a system title based hack comes along and/or a bootmii style recovery method.

19. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Dump your NAND and then use SysConfigTool to delete Wii U menu.
    Easy brick.

20. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Unless im missing a few .. the average has been 1 a month.. .. this one added makes this month an exception :( least he has a backup... im guessing he didnt use a certain guide.