I'm beginning to think there will be 1 more DS console...

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ToonGoomba, Mar 12, 2018.

1. ToonGoomba
    OP

ToonGoomba Sarcastic Super Star

Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    North Carolina
    DS. DS Lite. DSi. DSi XL. 3DS. 3DS XL. 2DS. New 3DS. New 3DS XL. New 2DS XL. We've had these handhelds for YEARS and they have been a staple of our childhoods, from Nitro to Infrared. Now i've been thinking...what if Nintendo, for the next anniversary of the original DS, put out an announcement that they will be making 1 more DS. Not a 3DS, but a DS. One that can play DS games, 3DS games, New 3DS games, and maybe even GBA games. It could be called the DS Nitro, which is a throwback to the original DS codename. 2 circle pads, 720p screen, 3D, 4 back triggers, etc.

But of course this wont happen, I like to imagine things. What are your thoughts if Nintendo made another DS console?

yuyuyup, DarthDub and x65943 like this.
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I doubt that.

Same happened with the Gameboy, they made many iterations and phased it out when the DSi came to the market.

Jacklack3 and x65943 like this.
  3. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    Yeah, i think the switch has basically taken over ds and wii. Even though nintendo said it wouldn't take ds

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Why would they when the 3DS already plays all of those things?
    And "Not a 3DS, but a DS. One that can play DS games, 3DS games, New 3DS games, and maybe even GBA games"
    Pretty sure that would be a 3DS.

Jacklack3, ry755, Chetti and 2 others like this.
  5. ToonGoomba
    OP

ToonGoomba Sarcastic Super Star

Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    North Carolina
    I meant it like NOT have the number 3 in the name for simplicity. If u are buying a game, and you see "DS" anywhere on the cover, it can be played. And also have a GBA cartridge slot

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think that would just cause confusion. It was already pretty well hammered into people that you need a 3DS to play 3DS games. Then they made the 2DS and they started having to say "can also be played on the Nintendo 2DS in 2D" all the time in ads. And then suddenly you can play 3DS games with a DS, but not all DSes, oh no, only this new DS we came out with that isn't really a DS but we're going to call it one anyway to confuse everyone further. And then people end up buying used DSes expecting them to play all of that and finding out they don't. Doesn't really make sense to me.

ry755, Chetti, Ryccardo and 1 other person like this.
  7. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Lol they will never make something with a gba slot know it, gba is gone

x65943 and Chetti like this.
  8. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    I wish there will be a new game Boy!

ry755 and zfreeman like this.
  9. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    Nah, your idea is not good.

But yeah, Nintendo need an ACTUAL replacement for 3DS because Switch is not one. Switch is directed to completely different group of players, has much higher price and its portability is somewhat questionable. Either Nintendo will release Switch-mini or another console.

There's need for low-priced actual handhelds for casuals and people that don't want to spend crapton of money on their console, Switch no matter how hyped can't fill this niche because it's directed to serious players, has higher price and calling it a handheld is a stretch.

suctions, CrazyForCashews and Chetti like this.
  10. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States

it prints money.gif

ToonGoomba likes this.
  11. Chetti

Chetti Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2017
    Colombia
    Not happening, that's a stupid idea sorry

12. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    More likely that we would get something like a gameboy mini (akin to the nes mini and snes mini)

Even then I think that this is not very likely.

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    DS mini.

14. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    I do wish they could make a handheld as small as the 3ds switch specs inside of it what i really want it a 3ds sized switch smaller is better right.

15. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I highly doubt it, there are already 6 versions of the 3DS, what more could you want.

16. Taffy

Taffy AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    64 versions that all emulate the n64

I wanna crash paper mario on the go

8BitWonder likes this.
  17. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    im quite surprised its gone because the 3D tech in the new3DS was fantastic and far more refined.

I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited that technology at some point and I'd love for them to.......
    3D Nintendo Switch.
    I would buy it ASAP.

In regards to the DS line, I think they're in the process of transferring all their assets over to a HD eco-system. Therefore I struggle to find a way back if they aren't currently supporting the older age gaming. Third party studios especially will leave the production of 3DS-type games now.

18. TyDye

TyDye Nintendo Fan

Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Earth
    how about a new 3ds I MEAN new new 3ds OR newer 3ds

19. Missing Number

Missing Number GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2003
    Canada
    DSS Dual Screen Switch
    All the power of the switch, all the titles of the 3/DS, capability of running Wii U titles that required the 2nd screen (tablet) 100% backward compatability with the entire nintendo catalogue

the cartridge slot accepts 3/DS and switch (idgaf how) carts so you can have physical copies, has up to 2tb internal, 2 micro sd slots for much much more storage, and the expanded eshop with all the titles, even obscure ones, back to the begining of NES/Famicom

doesn't need to be docked to be 1080p

i'd go on and on, but yeah thats not gonna happen, not anytime soon. world's best video game platform is easily within their grasp, but they area business to make money. Mario All-Stars was their first and last mistake in the profit business. they updated 3 of their flagship titles for the price of 1 game, now they DIRECT PORT everything individually to maximize profits. And when they replace something, they rarely outright tell you its a replacement, and believe me, switch is a replacement for 3ds. case and point, Dragon Quest XI. they decided not to port it in lieu of the switch version. they want the 3ds to die..... in their minds the quicker it dies, the quicker they can replace it fully or port its titles to their new pony

gone are the days where the DS has a GBA port, the new thing is to create a digital GBA port and charge to use it.

20. CrazyForCashews

CrazyForCashews Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2018
    Canada
    Completely agree.

I’m betting a Switch Mini is bound to happen. This will be a true successor to the 3DS. It will be smaller and portable as a 3DS and have a lower price point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice