I'm an idiot - Need instructions for NAND restore on O3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by joemama1995, Sep 20, 2015.

1. joemama1995
    OP

joemama1995 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    I'm an idiot. I wasn't playing enough attention and accidentally updated my O3DS (non XL) and need some help restoring it.

I do have a NAND backup.

Can someone link me a tutorial or video? Thanks.

2. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    Do you know how to solder electronic parts?
    If don't, please send both the console and the tutorial (you can find it in this forum somewhere or Google it) to a smartphone/game-console repairing shop.
    If do, you should prepare the following things:
    - Tutorial (you can find it in this forum somewhere or Google it)
    - Micro-SD to SD Adapter
    - Fine electric wires (at least 4 pcs)
    - Soldering iron
    - SD card reader
    - PC
    The follow the tutorial.

Last edited by MelonGx, Sep 20, 2015
  3. joemama1995
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for the reply. I know how to solder and have all the parts except for the tutorial. Plenty of photos and tutorials on the XL, which looks totally doable for me (large, easily identifiable soldering points) but can't seem to find anything on the non-XL except that it's much harder.

4. joemama1995
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    For the record, RXTools didn't boot into EMUNAND as I expected.

I have EMUNAND setup and saw "Rx. X.X" in System Setting and thought I was in emunand and updated. It turns out I wasn't in emunand.

5. SaagiBols

SaagiBols The AnalSavior

Jan 29, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    Here, There, and Everywhere!..
    ...God Luck!!!

6. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    I don't believe it. I'd say you overlooked something. A simple going in and out of system settings puts you back in sysnand. If you saw rx in system version nand went straight to update it will only update your emunand. We have all made m7stakes, regardless of experience and don't need to find a scapegoat that seemily works great for everyone but you.

I hope you sort it out and if I jogs what happened then maybe you can show some humility, comeback and untarnish rxtolls.

7. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    Maybe your 3ds sysnand was linked with the emunand, anyways good thing you have at least the backup nand.
    Good luck.

8. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Use that and one of the XL tutorials for how to wire the micro SD adapter and everything else is exactly the same for all models after that (the reading and writing of NAND etc)

Image courtesy of 3dbrew.org

EDIT: I should mention that I followed this with success, I did only wire DAT0, CLK, CMD and you ofc need ground from the 3ds, this can be done with a minimal 4 wires :) the only hard part is the CLK line, you have to completely disassemble the bottom portion of the 3ds and take the motherboard out, flip it over and use some small wire (I used magnent wire, if you have a broken wall power supply then you can likely get some magnent wire out of one of the transformers inside), if you want to permanently install it then you have to be careful as too thick of a CLK wire and it'll push up on the touch screen and make it go crazy (ask me how I know, had the WHOLE THING soldered up, unbricked my 3ds, put it all back together after it was done and then had to take it all back apart and redo it with magnent wire :/ ) also the via that you solder to for CLK is small but doable

Last edited by dark_samus3, Sep 21, 2015
    MelonGx likes this.
  9. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    You should be careful, as the Non-XL O3DS has small components, and I believe you need to remove the cartridge slot to get to the NAND chip.
    Always apply a liberal amount of flux to avoid corrrotion.

The process goes a bit like this:

You solder 4 wires to 4 points on the motherboard of the 3DS, you then solder those 4 wires to a microSD to SD adapter in a very specific pattern, plug that SD card adapter you just made to your external SD card reader, turn on your 3DS and let it blue screen (blue screen = good sign), then plug that SD card reader with the microSD to SD adapter to your PC.
    After that, boot up win32diskimager and read an image. It should be around a gigabyte.
    Make multiple dumps to verify the MD5 hash and confirm that your solder job is working fine.
    In your case you want to upload a dump, so the process is a bit different.

Last edited by MrJason005, Sep 21, 2015
  10. joemama1995
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    Thank you everyone.

The 3DS (non-XL) seems a little too much work. I'm going to live with it.

11. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    It's really not, just a little harder than the XL but hey your choice