I'm a complete noob. Help with GBA emulation on 3DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Who Wants Bagels, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Who Wants Bagels
    OP

Who Wants Bagels Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2013
    United States
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    As the topic says, I'm completely new when it comes to anything homebrew. Basically, I just got a 3DS XL, and I want to emulate GBA games on it. How exactly would I go about doing this (step by step instructions would be best, as I have no idea what I'm doing)? What flashcart should I invest in? Is it possible on the newest firmware? Finally, will it affect my usage of the 3DS's online features?

I'd appreciate all the help I can get with this.

2. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    mr. fancypants likes this.
  3. vassildador

vassildador Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belgium
    I'm afraid this is currently only possible with a supercard DSTwo, which only runs regular DS games / homebrew and has a built-in GBA emulator. It'll drain your battery life faster than a normal DS game would, and isn't exactly perfect emulation, but it gets the job done. As you just got your 3DS I'm also afraid you won't be getting any 3DS homebrew soon, as only 3DS's on firmware 4.1-4.5 have some discovered security flaws that are actively being exploited.

4. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
  5. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    Your other option of buying a DS2 is to buy a 3DS with the ambassador games already installed on it.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    DStwo or wait till the 3DS is hacked publicly

7. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I know you want to do this on 3DS, but if you also happen to have a hacked PSP, it's got a better GBA emulator than the one on DSTWO.

8. Who Wants Bagels
    OP

Who Wants Bagels Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2013
    United States
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    No PSP, I'm afraid. Heck, I'd do this on my older DS if it was still working. Right now, I'm thinking the DStwo would probably be a decent idea. How's the performance on it? On that note, is there somewhere where I can see how well particular games run on the emulator? Lastly, what size microSD card is recommended? I want to store at least 15 GBA games on it. I don't really have any other purpose for the DStwo other than GBA emulation.

9. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I think that the DSTWO GBA Emulator is good enough for almost every game since I hever had any problems.
    GBA Games are very small. 2GB should be enough if you don't want to put anything else than the DSTWO OS, the GBA Emulator and the games on it.

/edit
    Here is a compatibility list for the official GBA Emulator but TempGBA has a better support as far as I know.

/edit #2
    Here is a compatibility list for TempGBA.

10. Who Wants Bagels
    OP

Who Wants Bagels Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2013
    United States
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    Okay. Thanks for the help, everyone! :yaysp:

11. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You're welcome (but read my 2 edits first ;))