I'm a bit confused about the 9.2+ kernel exploit that allows you to downgrade

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Perska, Jan 4, 2016.

  1. Perska
    OP

    Perska Member

    Newcomer
    34
    4
    Aug 22, 2015
    Finland
    So apparently you can downgrade your O3DS/N3DS to 9.2. But before I try to downgrade my O3DS (and possibly brick it), I have some questions.
    1. Will this allow me to install a CFW? (After downgrading to 9.2 ofc)
    2. Does the downgrading tool have a stable release?
    3. I've read some stuff involving menuhax and ironhax. Can I perform the downgrade with one of the mentioned *hax without any extra steps?
    4. Are there any risks?
    5. While this is not related to downgrading, is there a CFW that allows me to access a Japanese eShop or American eShop?
    While there are countless threads asking about questions like these, they really don't have the answers to my questions.
     
    Last edited by Perska, Jan 4, 2016
  2. Filo97

    Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

    Member
    3,742
    1,240
    Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    1.Yes
    2.i don't understand what you are asking for.
    3.yes, but after the downgrade you need to rinstall menuhax (ironhax doesn't work with 9.2)
    4.if you don't do dumb thing, pretty much none.
    5.i don't think so.
     
  3. endoverend

    endoverend AKA zooksman

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    2,847
    3,560
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Of course. Whenever you modify system titles you always run the chance of a brick.
    5. You can change the region of your emuNAND and access a different region eshop that way.
     
  4. Ekaitz

    Ekaitz Pokémon Master

    Member
    606
    214
    Jun 13, 2010
    France
    Lens
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes (bricking the 3DS)
    5. Not the eshop but you can install out of region CIA.
     
  5. Toiry921

    Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

    Member
    265
    168
    Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    1 yes you can install cfw have rxtools on my n3ds
    2 it's not a stable build
    3 I personally think ironhax would have a higher success rate from what I've seen with menuhax
    4 yes there have been some reports of bricks and some have gotten soft bricks
    5 (not to sure) I don't believe there is a way to swap between the two but I could be wrong
     
  6. Perska
    OP

    Perska Member

    Newcomer
    34
    4
    Aug 22, 2015
    Finland
    One more thing: Should I wait for KTM? (I have no idea what it is, by the way.)
     
  7. anonymoose

    anonymoose Lannister

    Member
    168
    68
    Nov 15, 2015
    Germany
    Kashyyyk
    old3DS should be fine with the sysUpdater release
     
  8. CrispyYoshi

    CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,516
    502
    Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    It's a gamble either way, really. You must consider the following:
    - Downgrading can potentially brick
    - Waiting too long will let nintendo patch 10.3's kernel exploit, so softbricking will screw you anyway
    - No guarantee how long before KTM or if anyone will actually make/find a stable version

    I'd say there's about 15% of bricks going on, and a good chunk of those bricks were soft, so they just updated back to 10.3 and tried again.
     
    Last edited by CrispyYoshi, Jan 4, 2016
  9. anonymoose

    anonymoose Lannister

    Member
    168
    68
    Nov 15, 2015
    Germany
    Kashyyyk
    I just did it on an old3DS and it worked out fine for me
     
  10. Damon_girl

    Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    921
    198
    Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    But KTM is potentially safer than sysUpdater because of the extra security checks. I would recommend waiting for that.
     
  11. shadowla05

    shadowla05 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    59
    6
    Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Don't do it just yet wait a bit more, I am one of the few that tried to down grade and failed. I have now fully bricked my O3DSXL