I'll let you guys in on a secret about pirates.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
IKfnqz5.jpg

+1 on theme, also I have a ton of eshop games ;)

EDIT: I sold almost all of my DS games long time ago... :(

EDIT 2: Here is SS of my eshop games (on my legal N3DS):

fV5csxA.jpg

Last edited by Disco,
Reactions: WeedZ

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have sometimes wished I had the power to duplicate an item by just touching and thinking about it, i would go to an electronics store and go ...erm window shoping, would that be considered piracy and/or illegal?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I pirate only non-classic game.
Games like Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc, I'll pirate them on 2 condition :
1- If it's a totally new game-stylw that I've never tried (for example, pokemon XY have their game-style and Mystery Dungeon have another game-style)
2- Only to test the game if the conditon 1 applies. If I like the game, I'll buy it.

All other game, such as Crush 3D or Proffessor Layton, I'll pirate them :).
Also, I pirate all old games from console that are no longer supported, such as DS games. Even if they are classic, I pirate them.
And finnaly, I pirate supported classic game if it's to get hacked version, such as Pokemon Neo Y

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have sometimes wished I had the power to duplicate an item by just touching and thinking about it, i would go to an electronics store and go ...erm window shoping, would that be considered piracy and/or illegal?

That's the very definition of what we're talking about here. We are duplicating something we want and keeping the copy without paying for it, thus the manufacturer doesn't get money for the item we obtained. It doesn't matter that we don't physically have a copy, because it's the data that matters.

Let's say you go into a store, tear open a copy of World Of Warcraft and take a picture of the CD-Key. You then go home and activate the key on your battle.net account. You didn't physically remove anything from the store, but now they can't sell that copy of the game because with the key used, the box and all its contents has no value whatsoever. This creates a revenue loss to the store and/or the company they got the game from. Since the game itself can be downloaded and installed without owning anything that comes in the box, that cd-key is the "item" you're buying..or stealing, in this example.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
That's the very definition of what we're talking about here. We are duplicating something we want and keeping the copy without paying for it, thus the manufacturer doesn't get money for the item we obtained. It doesn't matter that we don't physically have a copy, because it's the data that matters.

Let's say you go into a store, tear open a copy of World Of Warcraft and take a picture of the CD-Key. You then go home and activate the key on your battle.net account. You didn't physically remove anything from the store, but now they can't sell that copy of the game because with the key used, the box and all its contents has no value whatsoever. This creates a revenue loss to the store and/or the company they got the game from. Since the game itself can be downloaded and installed without owning anything that comes in the box, that cd-key is the "item" you're buying..or stealing, in this example.

OMG NO, it's not like that...
That's actualy theft from store, and we're talking about digital copy, not the licence for game (AKA CD key, or Windows Key....).
It isn't the same.
And 90% of the games people pirate would never be boght by them anyway!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that disturbs me the most about gaming is that you don't own the game, you're paying $60 for a temporary license that could be revoked at any time for any reason, whether you are in physical posession or not.
Piracy has also shown me that release dates have nothing to do with "polishing" or fixing bugs, it's all about day one sales. I've obtained some pretty big names weeks, sometimes months early just by checking my favorite torrent trackers.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG NO, it's not like that...
That's actualy theft from store, and we're talking about digital copy, not the licence for game (AKA CD key, or Windows Key....).
It isn't the same.
And 90% of the games people pirate would never be boght by them anyway!

Nearly any game you buy these days can be downloaded for free...what you have to pay for is the license key to activate it. When you get a patch or crack to bypass that key, that's where the piracy happens. I specifically used WoW as an example because there's no way to patch or crack it because it's an online game. But in the same idea, there are hundreds of "free" WoW servers that are all infringing on Blizzard's copyright and violating the licensing terms.

I was really directing my response at Keven's question about having the magical power to create an exact copy of anything in the store, which would still be piracy.

Reactions: keven3477

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse