Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
igoogle.png

Google has decided to retire iGoogle on November 12, 2013. Google came to this decision saying that with modern apps that run on platforms like Chrome and Android, the need for iGoogle has dwindled, and so will be retired.

Source (Google)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm a Firefox user, and I don't really understand why they do this. But anyway, when I read this news this morning, I just did a quick Google and found a great, free alternative. Netvibes is very similar, and I switched over. Too bad Google, you basically drove me away to the competition.....

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giving plenty of warning then. Over a year? Seems a little excessive, but I guess that means anyone still using that service (haven't looked anywhere near it in years personally, but I'm sure some people use it regularly) will definitely have time to find out and switch to another service, like the above mentioned Netvibes (tried it before also, seemed decent enough).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see no reason to actually retire the service, at all.

It's like saying "Let's stop supporting a good feature for web browsers because there are android apps".

No. iGoogle is my Firefox homepage for a simple reason, a google search bar, google links and a couple of RSS feeds.

Reactions: 3 people

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

It's like saying "Let's stop supporting a good feature for web browsers because there are android apps".

No. iGoogle is my Firefox homepage for a simple reason, a google search bar, google links and a couple of RSS feeds.
Exactly, it's like they want to lose customers, and that they think every iGoogle user uses Chrome too.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
igoogle is my homepage and I like to personalize it too, I was disappointed with the news.

that netvibes site is horrible, for the more useful features they are begging for money, facebook login again and they ask you for so much personal info too, widgets are a pain to add also, nothing compares to igoogle, sad to see it go.

hopefully by 2013 there is a 100% free alternative before igoogle goes.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's like everything google does is to annoy me and make me want to stop using their stuff.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So... That weird google page will disapear and they'll only have the normal google page like before?
Will that remove the tabs on top regarding gmail, docs and etc tho?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So... That weird google page will disapear and they'll only have the normal google page like before?
Will that remove the tabs on top regarding gmail, docs and etc tho?
Nope, that's not an iGoogle feature, that's just a Google feature.
Oh, that's good, then I couldn't care less about iGoogle. xP

Reactions: 1 person

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Some-what of an alternative is to use the Windows Gadgets for your desktop (assuming you are running Windows 7). I have an rss feed, twitter feed, weather, notes, network meter on my desktop. No need for iGoogle for me. Thought you guys might want to try.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never used it; I'm surprised so many here seem upset, actually.

Besides, they're probably retiring it to avoid lawsuits. Pretty sure Apple have patented lowercase Is at the beginning of words.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iGooge? iNeverActuallyHeardOfIt.

Still, for current users, there's more than a year left before it gets shut down. That should give you just enough time to find a replacement.

Reactions: 1 person

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not my homepage, but it's the first page on my speed dial in chrome. iGoogle is how I search the web and read my RSS feeds. I will miss it, but I'm sure I can find another RSS reader, it just sucks to have to change.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Google are a business. If a particular service is not generating enough revenue, they will stop offering that service. Clearly not enough people are using iGoogle to keep it financially viable.
This is true and you got a year....If you wanna keep it, find a way for more people to use it

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iDidn'giveashitwhenitcameout and i'Mactuallyhappyit'sgoingaway.
The only time I used it is on accident when I used someone else's computer and they use Bing (ugh) as their homepage/search plugin. I quickly typed Google in the searchbar, hit enter and up popped igoogle. I was wondering wtf happened to the old clean Google search.
Frankly, if I want something, ill search. I don't want a page full of crap when I'm just trying to search. That's the reason I first switched to Google cause of the lack of iBullshit. Titles beginning with i are getting a bit old at this point anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise