IGN's Editor-In-Chief Fired Over ‘Alleged Misconduct’

mtifuy2fwgtoagvwxmll.png

Steve Butts, longtime editor-in-chief at the gaming website IGN, has been let go over “alleged misconduct.”

“IGN initiated an investigation into alleged misconduct involving Steve Butts. As a result of the investigation, the Company has appropriately determined to part ways with Mr. Butts,” said IGN general manager Mitch Galbraith.

Note that it isn't the first time a case of harassment has been reported at the company. Back in November, former IGN employee Kallie Plagge accused her former co-worker Vince Ingenito of sexually harassing her and another woman. “The harassment (and horribly mishandled HR investigation) was a major factor in leaving IGN,” she wrote. “I have carried the disgust, fear, and disrespect with me since.”

IGN co-founder and chief content officer Peer Schneider will take over as editor-in-chief on an interim basis for “however long it takes”, he tells Polygon.

:arrow: SOURCE

D

Deleted User

I would make a joke about his last name being "Butts," but I get the horrible feeling that that was somehow brought up during the act of sexual misconduct.

But in all seriousness, though, it's a shame that so many people from all kinds industries have been found guilty of this kind of conduct. I honestly don't know what to say at this explosion of sexual misconduct allegations over the past year.

I can only hope things get better as far as this is concerned in the years to come. Not sure how we're going to do it, though. It seems like something that's going to need to change on a sociocultural level, and changes on that level never go without backlash.

Reactions: Taffy and Prans
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
But in all seriousness, though, it's a shame that so many people from all kinds industries have been found guilty of this kind of conduct. I honestly don't know what to say at this explosion of sexual misconduct allegations over the past year.
It's been so eye-opening and completely baffling. I really hope things change for the better now.

Maybe once I finish my RPG Backlog.
I feel ya, bro.

Reactions: Deleted User

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
god ridance tnh of the mr butts ign is the cansers shil for the: `EA and UBISOF` and neds to die anywayt..........
Well said.

Wait, Dan Harmon? What? Really? Fuck.
I know what the Hell. I like Rick and Morty.
Louis CK masturbating in front of women.
And there is a guy working at Disney charged with sexual misconduct.
Just explosions of these stories.

Reactions: Xathya

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, reset the counter, we're back to 0 days without someone being accused of sexual misconduct. It's hardly a surprise anymore at this rate. Jim Sterling must have a considerable amount of egg on his face, with this one. I'm not too entirely aware of how IGN goes about its writing or its staff, but hopefully their new EIC will be someone halfway decent.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, reset the counter, we're back to 0 days without someone being accused of sexual misconduct. It's hardly a surprise anymore at this rate. Jim Sterling must have a considerable amount of egg on his face, with this one. I'm not too entirely aware of how IGN goes about its writing or its staff, but hopefully their new EIC will be someone halfway decent.

problem is... all educational tapes on Sexual Harssment are in black and white, projector film roll style all made all from 1950's. who knows, maybe they ARE following guidelines?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
women advocate hard for equality except when it would effect them adversely....equal punishments for the same crimes.....nah, women aren't equal when they do bad stuff and should be given a free pass

then again the definition of sexual harassent is becoming so ridiculously larfe that your pretty much condemning all men to live in Antarctica for even noticing a woman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here I thought it might be journalistic/editorial misconduct, instead it is someone just being a cunt.

Hopefully IGN becomes something worth reading, though I am certainly not expecting anything.

Anybody got a link to the Jim Sterling thing? I had not seen anything there but going by his other stuff I would have to wonder if someone's sarcasm detector was not on the blink.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
women advocate hard for equality except when it would effect them adversely....equal punishments for the same crimes.....nah, women aren't equal when they do bad stuff and should be given a free pass

then again the definition of sexual harassent is becoming so ridiculously larfe that your pretty much condemning all men to live in Antarctica for even noticing a woman

While I do agree with your point, I have to admit that a lot of men's behavior is completely out of lines. At least in my country. And it's looked at as if it's something normal.

What is normal about a 65 year old man grabbing a 24 year old nurse's hand and saying "you want a little kiss missy?". And then again the next day? And then something perverted again the day after?

I'm a man and I think that's fucking disgusting and definitely harassment.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a