IGN: Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be more inclined to believe IGN's predictions for the future if they had been able to predict how bad they suck and fixed it before it happened.

Anyways, like i've always said. The games make a console/handheld, not the hardware (the hardware just sets the limitations).
The 3DS is finally starting to get some more good games. By the time the Vita launches, the library for the 3DS should be pretty decent.

From what I see, we are all in the same audience.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, my first handheld was a Nintendo Game Boy, ever since I was a small kid, Nintendo was the only handheld manufacturer, up until the DS and I've never been disappointed with their consoles. Sony just joined the handheld market a while ago compared to Nintendo at least, the PSP never atracted me much, what I seek in a handheld, is nice platformers (metroid for example) and rpgs, mostly the later, be it a home console or a handheld, I just want good rpgs, and for those, Nintendo never disappointed me, I always had dozens of rpgs for Game Boy, GBC, GBA and NDS, so I'm sure it'll be the same for the 3DS, I don't care about FPS games, I only like a few of them, like Bortherlands (and that has some rpg elements) and it's only the PC version, I wouldn't be able to play an FPS on a handheld it just doesnt feel right since you need to concentrate when playing an FPS and unless you're sitting you wouldn't be able to play that kind of game properly, I like to play my games at any time, be it while I walk, while I sit and while I'm in class (heh, I used to do it sometimes under the desk while I was in school. =P)... Anyway, I think they're different consoles, 3DS is Nintendo so it's targets are most likely older gamers (the ones that owned one of their systems before), or young kids, while the Vita is more for the new cool rad teenager gamers or spoiled kids. Although I'm saying all this, I have no problems with buying a Vita if it gets decent portable rpgs. =3

And yeah, IGN went down in my opinion, thats a really bad article to post in a gamming website.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny that everyone believes that the DS sold because it had better games and not because it was appealing to casuals.

I guess ignorance is bliss.
Um... no. The stupid word for gaming wasn't even around 'till the 7 gen consoles.

It sold because it was a good portable.It had a lot of good games that lot of people played.
I can't believe you even try to play that.

What I think "casual" and "hardcore" are you either play a lot of games or you didn't.

Ok, someone need to make a thread on this causal and "hardcore" stuff.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's funny that everyone believes that the DS sold because it had better games and not because it was appealing to casuals.

I always found DS games not as high-quality as PSP ones. No offense, but it just feels that way. DS games have low resolutions which make a supposed good game look bleak.

And most gamers out there are casuals.

BTW, I hardly trust IGN. Once they made a pro-3DS article, and now this. This is also at their PSP section - so expect the article to be this way.

lenitao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IGN is getting more and more insane as time passes...

how can a console that has exclusives like Pokemon, Mario, Zelda and many others possibly lose to PsVita

especially after the dominance of the Ds over the Psp, sounds insane, if hardcore fans want portable hardcore games and graphics, why didn't they sent Psp and it's hardcore software sales high?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

People still care about sales?

If I relied on sales info my room would be pimped out in guns and apple products.
I prefer quality and fun over good sales.

No one should be able to deny the simplicity and ease of use of the DS make it appeal to a broader crowd.
Not to mention the fact it's from the family company, Nintendo.
That's just...common sense.

The enter marketing campaign for the DS was catered towards casuals. Doesn't change the fact the DS game library beats the crap out of the PSP game library.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... no. The stupid word for gaming wasn't even around 'till the 7 gen consoles.

It sold because it was a good portable.It had a lot of good games that lot of people played.
I can't believe you even try to play that.

What I think "casual" and "hardcore" are you either play a lot of games or you didn't.

Ok, someone need to make a thread on this causal and "hardcore" stuff.

I forgot, the Wii and DS are so underpowered that they're not 7th gen consoles. MY BAD.

Also, that was a joke, so wipe the tears of anger from your face and delete that portion of your angry post.

If you don't think Nintendo used a casual appeal to sell record amounts of consoles then you are incredibly blind. If they didn't then they'd be stuck with less sales than the Gamecube.

And the DS vs. PSP in terms of library is open for opinion, but marketing tactics are not.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
p8wpj.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fanboyism aside, it all comes down to opinion.
Both consoles are made up of gimmicks, some more obvious than others (back touch panel, lol), but they both have a promising game library coming.

Cool, optional help.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fanboyism aside, it all comes down to opinion.
Both consoles are made up of gimmicks, some more obvious than others (back touch panel, lol), but they both have a promising game library coming.

Cool, optional help.
"insert pic of someone clicking no"
I don't understand his point there...

You can say no and it not like you get the full reward.

It convenient for some people who would just go to internet to look it up or finding cheats for any game anyway .

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"insert pic of someone clicking no"
I don't understand his point there...

You can say no and it not like you get the full reward.

It convenient for some people who would just go to internet to look it up or finding cheats for any game anyway .

I think prowler was trying to highlight how Nintendo is beginning to make their games accommodate the "casual" or "less talented" crowd of gaming.

And the difference between the guide in Nintendo games (what is it called, Super Guide or something?) and a strategy guide is that the Super Guide actually does it for you, a strategy guide just gives you tips and pointers. It's like having a friend to tell you to do X to complete Y and having your friend take the controller and do X for you to reach Y.

I think the Super Guide is kinda stupid honestly, especially considering games do normally have things called "difficulty options". Maybe it's a bit harder to implement in a platformer but maybe make Easy a little more forgiving (like more lives or even no lives, maybe change some physics to make your jumps easier to longer and make some tricks easier to pull off) and Hard less forgiving (less lives, harsher penalties, etc).

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Or we could just remove the Super Guide altogether, that would work. That way they actually have to figure it out for once.

I'm sorry, but it is my solemn and wholehearted opinion that if you cant learn to play a game decently, and you have to rely on something like that to actually clear it, you shouldn't own or be playing it. I'm not one for bailing people out if they can figure it out on their own.

I think a great deal of this will be determined on the reputation of the two companies. Sony's has been kinda racketed lately, Nintendo's is more or less the same, except coming from the stance of the non-casuals. Not saying that there isn't anything wrong with casuals, but crapware and stuff wont sell as well as a Casual game with 1st Party characters and whatnot in it.

D

Deleted_171835

Or we could just remove the Super Guide altogether, that would work. That way they actually have to figure it out for once.

I'm sorry, but it is my solemn and wholehearted opinion that if you cant learn to play a game decently, and you have to rely on something like that to actually clear it, you shouldn't own or be playing it. I'm not one for bailing people out if they can figure it out on their own.
And what a silly idea that is. Why would you want to remove a feature that makes the game more accessible to casuals without hampering regular players?

D

Deleted_171835

Accessible games =/= Bad idea
I'd like the game to be accessible without it playing itself. Like I can go play CoD on max difficulty and give myself a challenge or I can play it on lowest difficulty if I don't feel up to a real challenge or my skill level isn't high enough to play it on max.
For platformers, you can't have a system like that. Adding infinite lives as part of a difficulty system wouldn't do much good as the player would just keep dying without being penalized for it of course. I think Super Guide works fine for its purposes.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we're at it, why not just remove the included guide booklet as well? Hell, represent basic menu options and HUD components with strange symbols and reverse the health and energy bars.

I'm sure that nothing but good things can come from removing helpful aspects in games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For platformers, you can't have a system like that. Adding infinite lives as part of a difficulty system wouldn't do much good as the player would just keep dying without being penalized for it of course. I think Super Guide works fine for its purposes.

Well, Nintendo are "true innovators of platformers". They can probably come up with a different system then I can. Maybe make the levels the same but the platforming a bit easier to some extent. I guess it'd take a lot of time to adjust the levels so that the platforms are closer or the times before X disappears or X deals turns on would take time, but hey, they craft their games with love, care, and time. Right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.