IGN Takes down plagiarised Dead Cells review [Update] author has been fired

12639.jpg
IGN has taken down a review of the game Dead Cells, after it was found the video was almost word for word when compared to a video by Boomstickgamer, uploaded to YouTube over a week earlier. Boomstickgamer uploaded a video comparing the two videos and contacted IGN for an explanation. IGN pulled the video almost immediately but has yet to comment on the event outside of stating that the review has been taken down and that they are investigating.

:arrow:Source - Boomstickgamers video
:arrow:Source - IGN's statement [mod edit] Original link removed from IGN, archive.org copy

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Taking credit for something you didn't do, even by omission of clarification, is wrong. Very wrong.
That people make mistakes everyday doesn't make it less wrong.
Everyone should be taught that. And of course the mistakes you make while being a professional are even worse and should be heavily criticized.
Someone driving their car imprudently and getting into an accident might be punished.
But someone driving a public transport vehicle imprudently and getting into an accident would be punished harder.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking credit for something you didn't do, even by omission of clarification, is wrong. Very wrong.
Everyone should be taught that. And of course the mistakes you make while being a professional are even worse and should be heavily criticized.
Someone driving their car imprudently and getting into an accident might be punished.
But someone driving a public transport vehicle imprudently and getting into an accident would be punished harder.
I agree with what you wrote, except for the wording of something that I think it's very important. As it was pointed out by someone at IGN, plagiarism is never a mistake, it's a choice.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
when it comes to plagiarism i see it all the time across all forms of media that it really disgusts me when people point the finger just at him when i know ive see everyone do it and not always give credit where credit is due. And its really F*CKED up.

Plagiarism is something that was very serious when writing was basically the only form of media and entertainment before radio then tv and vice versa, but now its the year 2018 and there are more ways to express "plagiarized" 'opinions' or 'created' content or think that an idea is completely original when they were unknowingly created when a IDEA was "plagiarized" and none of it can be controlled.

Take Amy Schumer for example, half the people say she plagiarized jokes the other half say she didnt, and its impossible to know where the joke originated and if that was stolen too but popularized by someone else and so on and so forth. I was listening to Colin Moriarty's take on it and the way he expressed his written opinions just seemed constructed in a cookie cutter rhythm and pace and beat that for sure as hell was definitely 'plagiarized'. Im not not saying his expressed opinions were plagiarized but his way of expressing it sure as hell were to someone elses rhythm, beat and cookie cutter video essay structuring. But its a crazy world we live in where elitists exist and they must exact their elitism unto others
Have you seen the post I made? Not only he plagiarized the comment word by word, but he also included the personal opinions made by the person who wrote the comment. Shameless plagiarism.

Also no, don't compare us to that guy please. I have never plagiarized anything and always reported the sources when I couldn't find better words than someone else's already explaining the topic better than me. Whoever plagiarizes anything deserves to be pointed at. Especially a journalist.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yea but when it doesnt raise the eyebrows of these virtue signallers then theres a problem isnt there (elitism). And i see your using very extreme examples but it doesnt really fit the crime does it? yet yall act like the punishment should be the same. Its really the virtue signalling that makes me cringe the most. honestly if it wasnt such a hot topic right now would you care? Would you care if a non-writer you knew didnt knowingly plagiarize and you just go to the extremes and compare him to killing a truck load of people? be real, if you were "found out" nd labeled a plagiarist and then get compared to a rapist how would you do? be honest

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yea but when it doesnt raise the eyebrows of these virtue signallers then theres a problem isnt there (elitism). And i see your using very extreme examples but it doesnt really fit the crime does it? yet yall act like the punishment should be the same. Its really the virtue signalling that makes me cringe the most. honestly if it wasnt such a hot topic right now would you care? Would you care if a non-writer you knew didnt knowingly plagiarize and you just go to the extremes and compare him to killing a truck load of people? be real, if you were "found out" nd labeled a plagiarist and then get compared to a rapist how would you do? be honest
Yeah the examples are extreme, but I was trying to make a point.
You are taking the offense as something light, and it is not. That's the reason I went and used strong examples that I guess you wouldn't take lightly.
Regarding if I was found plagiarizing something in my line of work, it would be an absolute shame that would either:
  • Ruin my career, and rightly because in that case I deserved it.
  • It will not ruin my career because we live in a shitty world that doesn't give a fuck, but it will sure haunt me forever. I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously in front of colleagues, my self respect will be destroyed.
Hmmm... you know what, better I don't plagiarize in my profession, the risks are too high and I know it is wrong as fuck. Like taking some money out of the register when you work as a cashier. It is dumb, risky and unethical, and any punishment if it comes is deserved.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the examples are extreme, but I was trying to make a point.
You are taking the offense as something light, and it is not. That's the reason I went and used strong examples that I guess you wouldn't take lightly.
Regarding if I was found plagiarizing something in my line of work, it would be an absolute shame that would either:
  • Ruin my career, and rightly because in that case I deserved it.
  • It will not ruin my career because we live in a shitty world that doesn't give a fuck, but it will sure haunt me forever. I wouldn't be able to take myself seriously in front of colleagues, my self respect will be destroyed.
Hmmm... you know what, better I don't plagiarize in my profession, the risks are too high and I know it is wrong as fuck. Like taking some money out of the register when you work as a cashier. It is dumb, risky and unethical, and any punishment if it comes is deserved.

are those your thought for real? or are those the thoughts of elitists that taught you that thats how you 're supposed react or think to things regarding plagiarism? Okay so if plagiarism is so bad why dont you extent it beyond the realms of writing? What happens then?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are those your thought for real? or are those the thoughts of elitists that taught you that thats how you 're supposed react or think to things regarding plagiarism? Okay so if plagiarism is so bad why dont you extent it beyond the realms of writing? What happens then?
Do you know what elitist means? Doing the job you're paid to do is not elitist, it's the bare minimum.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course those are my thoughts.
Imagine you are in college and you write your thesis "copying it from the internet" with some touches here and there and passing something as yours not even quoting the original. It would haunt you even if you are not caught (because you can ever be caught later).
Then if you are caught, expelled and your title removed you totally deserve that.
Extrapolate that example to anything else.
Those are not only my thoughts but what I thought everybody was taught. What world do we live in? That should be common knowledge.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine you are in college and you write your thesis "copying it from the internet" with some touches here and there and passing something as yours not even quoting the original. It would haunt you even if you are not caught (because you can ever be caught later).
Then if you are caught, expelled and your title removed you totally deserve that.
Those are not only my thoughts but what I thought everybody was taught. What world do we live in? That should be common knowledge.
I think the problem is that these kinds of people wouldn't be haunted by it, as they don't see it as something wrong.
Some fuckwit even said "all poetry is plagiarism" in this very thread, so you can see the mindset they're in, if everything is plagiarism, then they have no incentive to try to be original, and no guilt from plagiarizing others' works.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could you not ignore my posts? I'm curious to see what are your arguments against what I wrote :)

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

disregard everything about how youd been taught how to react, now think for yourself (if you can) and give me a real answer. His assignment didnt meet the requirements of said the job, he got fired, he forgot to credit someone now labeled a plagiarist, okay it happens. That part is done and over regardless of opinion (because plagiarism is more a moral thing). But now we extend past said editor and we talk about about plagiarism itself, are your feelings and reacts and behavior toward it plagiarized?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good on IGNs end for not halfassing their response when more info came to light.

That said, I feel a quick moment to note that harassment is bad and that anyone who thinks it's wise to harass this guy can positively fuck off just as bad as this guy.

Reactions: gameboy

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
disregard everything about how youd been taught how to react, now think for yourself (if you can) and give me a real answer.
What I've said is what I really think. I think being honest it is a fundamental principle.
That said my education is part of who I am, as well as my culture, and one can't just disregard that and still be oneself.

His assignment didnt meet the requirements of said the job, he got fired, he forgot to credit someone now labeled a plagiarist, okay it happens.
He didn't forget to do it, he never planed to. It is not something that "just happens", the intention is clear from the start for someone doing this.
You can also see that in the video posted by the user above that wants your attention, he intentionally tries to pass what he says in the video as his research ("I have been researching and...") and his opinion. He says it all as if it were his words, he even acts as if he just thought about that. It is a complete intentional fraud, it wasn't he just "forgetting to say it wasn't his thoughts", it wasn't something that just happened.

That part is done and over regardless of opinion (because plagiarism is more a moral thing). But now we extend past said editor and we talk about about plagiarism itself, are your feelings and reacts and behavior toward it plagiarized?
Nope, they are mine. I've always had this opinion, and as I said I taught it was commons sense. Perhaps I was wrong or I am just disconnected from this era, I am getting old, times change, perhaps honesty is not valued anymore.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you not ignore my posts? I'm curious to see what are your arguments against what I wrote :)

i didnt want to double post lol my bad. Have you ever seen someone that got so immersed into something that it became one to the point where any other opinion or phrasing couldnt be grasped? Whether it be words that resonated with that person so much or an idea or thought process or speech pattern or a song so gripping that said person just couldnt think outside that box and they were just stuck in it? is it plagiarism at the point? It is but it isnt now right? Have you ever seen people that think they are a certain song. One mans trash is anothers treasure, and it can be anything.

To a point its being brainwashed, ive seen it countless times with weak-minded people. So... we have all been told how to react to certain things when they happen. Me ive always been very mean and violent tempered to the point where it can snap me out of being brainwashed. Do you remember a point where you were bored an just wrote down your favorite lyrics? it became you, it resonated you it so perfectly described everything of what ever it means to you. Ive seen the review and i seen that Filip dude, a weakminded person imo, That review became him and he became it even though he might have not been the one that put words onto paper first. And so i take that last concept and i apply it to the finger pointing virtuesignalers and i think, you too are the same as he

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PS: still as I said before, I think the mob mentality and entitlement of "accuse-judge-execute" without a just process is bullshit, but I think we are not talking about that anymore, we are talking about plagiarism being wrong or not.
If we were to talk about that mob mentality, I would say people are too quick to judge and execute without due process, and it is even possible that this Cartho in NeoGaf was actually one of Filip's accounts, but without due process the mob is already judging and executing him. Sure, that is BS.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS: still as I said before, I think the mob mentality and entitlement of "accuse-judge-execute" without a just process is bullshit, but I think we are not talking about that anymore, we are talking about plagiarism being wrong or not.
If we were to talk about that mob mentality, I would say people are too quick to judge and execute without due process, and it is even possible that this Cartho in NeoGaf was actually one of Filip's accounts, but without due process the mob is already judging and executing him. Sure, that is BS.

i agree, but back to the other statement. Are your thoughts your own or have they been molded into a society they others deemed should be. If you never knew what plagiarism was or how it has been handled would you react different way? I think you would.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's wrong that some people go too far and harass people that have already received their due punishment. But at the same time, I find it hard to feel too bad about this one, you know? It's like I would prefer it if it didn't happen, but I don't feel bad enough to actually do anything against it.

The problem I see is that there are people saying he didn't deserve to be fired, which, regardless of what you think about the morality of plagiarism, is the appropriate response to it from a publication's perspective.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i agree, but back to the other statement. Are your thoughts your own or have they been molded into a society they others deemed should be. If you never knew what plagiarism was or how it has been handled would you react different way? I think you would.
What am I?
As I said, my culture and education are part of what I am.
If I took all them away I wouldn't even be speaking a language or writing. Would I still be myself? I don't think so.
You know, to be able to see the color of something you need light to be applied to it. Only after it is exposed to light it's characteristics, the way it filters out and reflects the light that was applied, can be seen.
In any case I am the filter, and I need to be exposed to culture and society, what I get from it, what I process and reflect back, that is what I am.
In that case, then yes as I said before, those are my thoughts. And of course I can have them because I was exposed to the topic and values by society.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What am I?
As I said, my culture and education are part of what I am.
If I took all them away I wouldn't even be speaking a language or writing. Would I still be myself? I don't think so.
You know, to be able to see the color of something you need light to be applied to it. Only after it is exposed to light it's characteristics, the way it filters out and reflects the light that was applied, can be seen.
In any case I am the filter, and I need to be exposed to culture and society, what I get from it, what I process and reflect back, that is what I am.
In that case, then yes as I said before, those are my thoughts. And of course I can have them because I was exposed to the topic and values by society.

and thus its clear you react the way you react toward plagiarism because that how you've been specifically taught toward plagiarism as Ive been told to react the same way. Im just saying try to look outside of that. Which goes back to that review wherein it became that dude and he could no longer grasp outside of that teaching or in this case a mind griping review of dead cells 9.7/10.0

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know what, plagiatarizing stuff is one problem, we all can get lazy sometimes.
But this moron decided to double down on it and play a fucking victim in a situation that is only his fault. I can totaly imagine that if he would openly admit it, nobody would remember it after like 2-3 day but no, feeling hurt and making a fuss like a spoiled 10yo girl is his way of doing it.

Well, shame for him. Is not that today we need game journalists. We have internet full of unbiased people that share their opinion for free.

Last edited by Kigiru,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes that's why yours won't leave me alone