IGN Takes down plagiarised Dead Cells review [Update] author has been fired

12639.jpg
IGN has taken down a review of the game Dead Cells, after it was found the video was almost word for word when compared to a video by Boomstickgamer, uploaded to YouTube over a week earlier. Boomstickgamer uploaded a video comparing the two videos and contacted IGN for an explanation. IGN pulled the video almost immediately but has yet to comment on the event outside of stating that the review has been taken down and that they are investigating.

:arrow:Source - Boomstickgamers video
:arrow:Source - IGN's statement [mod edit] Original link removed from IGN, archive.org copy

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to be civil, but honestly that is fucking retarded.

im trying to be civil too but what the sjws and elitist youtubers wanting money handouts did to this guy was fucking horrible. let him correct his mistakes and move on. theres a lot of youtube videos copying the same shit adding a sentence of opinoin by tearing down the guy but they remember to add a source and its all good? its almost same thing as plagiarism now, but it really isnt now is it?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im trying to be civil too but what the sjws and elitist youtubers wanting money handouts did to this guy was fucking horrible. let him correct his mistakes and move on. theres a lot of youtube videos copying the same shit adding a sentence of opinoin by tearing down the guy but they remember to add a source and its all good? its almost same thing as plagiarism now, but it really isnt now is it?
When did plagiarism become a sjw issue? All you're saying is that other people do it, so why should he face any consequences? I say, they should all face consequences, because plagiarism pisses me off, to be completely honest.

So maybe next time people should just do the job they're being paid to do and not steal from other people? Is that too much effort?

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country

In journalism, there is a slim chance of redemption after blatantly ripping someone off. How does someone correct this kind of mistake, as you cannot retroactively make a citation without incurring a cost/penalty (like being fired), so he would be screwed either way. Reputationally, nobody would want to employ him for this type of role. Back in the day, time would do it's thing and people would forget, but the Internet is brutal.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did plagiarism become a sjw issue? All you're saying is that other people do it, so why should he face any consequences? I say, they should all face consequences, because plagiarism pisses me off, to be completely honest.

So maybe next time people should just do the job they're being paid to do and not steal from other people? Is that too much effort?

thats almost exactly what im was thinking but in a different context. EVERYONE that does those reviews and stuff should really reevaluate what it is that theyre doing should they tear down a guy for missing a source. plagiarism pisses you off because you been told you should be pissed off when someone plagiarizes, but you still steal games like everyone else do you not?

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

He is doing journalism stuff, at a "professional" company. If he commits plagiarism, it's grounds to be fired. It's a big thing in that world.

The core problem here is that a "professional" did it. And that's a no no whether you agree or not. He knew what he signed up for when he took the job, he messed up.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats almost exactly what im was thinking but in a different context. EVERYONE that does those reviews and stuff should really reevaluate what it is that theyre doing should they tear down a guy for missing a source. plagiarism pisses you off because you been told you should be pissed off when someone plagiarizes, but you still steal games like everyone else do you not?
No, it pisses me off because it's someone taking credit for work they didn't do, but that's besides the point.
He copied someone else's work, got found out, and faced consequences as a result. Whether you think the consequences were too harsh, they were entirely his fault.

As for equating piracy with plagiarizing someone's work and profiting off it, that's such a stupid comparison that I'm just going to assume you were just providing it to make a point and aren't dumb enough to actually believe it.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In journalism, there is a slim chance of redemption after blatantly ripping someone off. How does someone correct this kind of mistake, as you cannot retroactively make a citation without incurring a cost/penalty (like being fired), so he would be screwed either way. Reputationally, nobody would want to employ him for this type of role. Back in the day, time would do it's thing and people would forget, but the Internet is brutal.

its what i fucking hate too about the internet, tear a guy down and make some money while at it,companies will treat this guy like a rapist or something afterward too for a simple mistakemistake(not a misspelling) of not knowing he was walking on a tightrope on regards to plagiarism. fuck yongyea, and his opinoins and eveone else that tore the guy down, i like his channel but a lot of these youtubers must really hate ign or something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, it pisses me off because it's someone taking credit for work they didn't do, but that's besides the point.
He copied someone else's work, got found out, and faced consequences as a result. Whether you think the consequences were too harsh, they were entirely his fault.

As for equating piracy with plagiarizing someone's work and profiting off it, that's such a stupid comparison that I'm just going to assume you were just providing it to make a point and aren't dumb enough to actually believe it.
Descartes would like you.

my point is that people act like theyve never done wrong in their life yet are willing to destroy people for mistakes made to make a simple buck.

i read up on descartes and i dont know if its an insult or a compliment, but im gonna take it as a compliment. so thanks

Reactions: Captain Library

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its what i fucking hate too about the internet, tear a guy down and make some money while at it,companies will treat this guy like a rapist or something afterward too for a simple mistakemistake(not a misspelling) of not knowing he was walking on a tightrope on regards to plagiarism. fuck yongyea, and his opinoins and eveone else that tore the guy down, i like his channel but a lot of these youtubers must really hate ign or something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

my point is that people act like theyve never done wrong in their life yet are willing to destroy people for mistakes made to make a simple buck.

i read up on descartes and i dont know if its an insult or a compliment, but im gonna take it as a compliment. so thanks
And again, that is completely irrelevant. Someone else having done something bad doesn't excuse another person from it. You don't get paid to do an original video, copy it from someone else, and then have your defense be "other people kick puppies, so am I really at fault here"?
So, again, why are you getting mad at the people who called someone out, when the blame is on the person who thought he could get away with plagiarism?
Sorry, with copying someone's work while changing it enough to pass it off as original, not plagiarism.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Merged it with an earlier thread.

Anyway while I would not have been entirely shocked to see him stay a firing is very much a reasonable and predictable consequence from where I sit. Equally the internet did not ruin his shit -- he ruined his shit the moment he decided to rip something off.

Reactions: KiiWii

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And again, that is completely irrelevant. Someone else having done something bad doesn't excuse another person from it. You don't get paid to do an original video, copy it from someone else, and then have your defense be "other people kick puppies, so am I really at fault here"?
So, again, why are you getting mad at the people who called someone out, when the blame is on the person who thought he could get away with plagiarism?
Sorry, with copying someone's work while changing it enough to pass it off as original, not plagiarism.

the problem isnt plagiarism its about citing sources in-case the thin line of plagarism is broken. For people to openly judge and sentence the guy immediately as if he knowingly and knowingly been stealing stealing is a shame in this world of internet sjw-ing. Its a shitty society we live in.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem isnt plagiarism its about citing sources in-case the thin line of plagarism is broken. For people to openly judge and sentence the guy immediately as if he knowingly and knowingly been stealing stealing is a shame in this world of internet sjw-ing. Its a shitty society we live in.
So you think it's a problem that people who copy other's works have to cite them? And why do you keep saying sjw? Plagiarism has been a problem for a long time, it's not a social issue, it's a not being a stealing shithead issue.
So, again for the third time, if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the people who keep claiming other people's work as their own, not the people who point it out.

Captain Library

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

He's one of the great postmodern thinkers :-) essentially he argues there's very little by way of original text - it's all reconstructed. So kind of a compliment.

Still think Miucin plagiarized tho.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think it's a problem that people who copy other's works have to cite them? And why do you keep saying sjw? Plagiarism has been a problem for a long time, it's not a social issue, it's a not being a stealing shithead issue.
So, again for the third time, if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the people who keep claiming other people's work as their own, not the people who point it out.

everybody copies others works when it comes to this kind of stupid stuff like reviewing games and game reporting. its not like he completely stole someones 300page book, its missing a source or not thinking a source was needed. The thing is that a verdict was made so damn soon before hearing anything out and a man was openly judged before even hearing him out. Was it worth a few dollars to destroy a man before he could issue an apology or retract a simple game review? its pretty messed up the world we live in. Lets teach this guy a lesson by completely destroying him instead of teaching him what he did wrong...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ign posted a review for DeadCell and a small youtube channel Boomstick Gaming accused it of plagiarism. Its a heavy accusation that garnered a lot of attention ending in Miucin losing his job.

In most cases plagiarism has to be word for word. Now the creativity level of Filip leave much to be desired, but as a person that finish college level english myself, I know enough to see that although the sentence structure and the construction of the paragraph are heavily inspired by Boomstick Gaming, the use of verbiage is changed enough for it to not be considered plagiarism (Most of the other terms used were game mechanics verbiage).

We see this a lot of times in music ('rap' music). By adding or subtracting a single note/word here or there, its enough to ''make it ones' own...''. There are a lot of people who like the sound of their own voice and its a shame Filip got fired over someone's butt-hurtness. AGAIN, the creativity leaves a lot to be desired but Filip DID do enough word switching to make it his own even if it was HEAVILY INSPIRED by ''DEADEYE'' of "Boomstick Gaming'' (which im sure if we did enough digging we would find he probably used a lot of the verbiage pushed by the developer used to promote their game, enough to accuse him of the same) Filip COULD HAVE just ended it with a single sentence of his own thoughts but again, ''heavily inspired'' suggest he was so captivated he couldn't think outside of the review he was inspired by...

HERE'S THE REVIEW

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1026972177881427969

p.s. im not a fan of ign or filip, but im going to assume Filip has the education levels required to be a writer at ign and he's gone through enough school to understand his work is NOT plagiarism. (as i have and know). I am a fan of YongYea but this video his is of a shitty elitist view, and i know his stuff is also HEAVILY INSPIRED from other stuff but he uses a bit more creativity.

the problem here is not about plagiarism is it? its that he worked for the much hated ign and there were failures to cite sources because the thin line the writer walked on when it comes to plagairsm is very narrow wasnt it?

Not getting into the details about what is the legal definition for plagiarism, as it doesn't really matter if it is plagiarism or not.
The IGN ex-employee's work was to produce an original review of the game, based on his original analysis of the game, and not in someone else's.
He failed to do his job properly, and brought in doing so very bad PR and potential loses to his employer.
The employer probably couldn't care less about the legal definition of plagiarism. For them it resulted in bad PR and loses due to an employee not doing his work properly, and I hope, not complying with the binding terms of his contract. Good riddance.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everybody copies others works when it comes to this kind of stupid stuff like reviewing games and game reporting. its not like he completely stole someones 300page book, its missing a source or not thinking a source was needed. The thing is that a verdict was made so damn soon before hearing anything out and a man was openly judged before even hearing him out. Was it worth a few dollars to destroy a man before he could issue an apology or retract a simple game review? its pretty messed up the world we live in. Lets teach this guy a lesson by completely destroying him instead of teaching him what he did wrong...
I'm pretty sure he learned what he did wrong by now.
I'd wager he knew what he was doing wrong before, he just thought he'd get away with it.

But I guess we'll never agree because we hold opposing views at a fundamental level. You have said several times that the current state of affairs regarding the quick spread of information is bad because it leads to situations like this, whereas I think it's wonderful that it's almost impossible in this day and age to steal from a smaller content creator and get away with it.

Reactions: Captain Library

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not getting into the details about what is the legal definition for plagiarism, as it doesn't really matter if it is plagiarism or not.
The IGN ex-employee's work was to produce an original review of the game, based on his original analysis of the game, and not in someone else's.
He failed to do his job properly, and brought in doing so very bad PR and potential loses to his employer.
The employer probably couldn't care less about the legal definition of plagiarism. For them it resulted in bad PR and loses due to an employee not doing his work properly, and I hope, not complying with the binding terms of his contract. Good riddance.

i understand. but again, its all about money. SWJ bullying at its highest level from the people who cast judgment on a man immediately (youtubers making a quick buck by destroying a guy), whereas im giving him the benefit of doubt first. Its a throwaway culture where instead of teaching the guy and giving him a second chance just blow him up. Sometimes you wonder why someone takes things to the extremes when things go bad, and then you see all this cyberbullying and nonstop judgment and you think, yea i can see why he murdered a few people. Im not saying thats Filip but in a case like this, yea i can see why it was filip...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i understand. but again, its all about money. SWJ bullying at its highest level from the people who cast judgment on a man immediately (youtubers making a quick buck by destroying a guy), whereas im giving him the benefit of doubt first. Its a throwaway culture where instead of teaching the guy and giving him a second chance just blow him up. Sometimes you wonder why someone takes things to the extremes when things go bad, and then you see all this cyberbullying and nonstop judgment and you think, yea i can see why he murdered a few people. Im not saying thats Filip but in a case like this, yea i can see why it was filip...
If you mean that this time we live in where the anonymous masses have the "power" to accuse, judge and execute without trial, well yeah... those are some "interesting" times we live in, and might this case be just or not, sure we will see a lot of more injustice in the future due to the bullshitty mob mentality.

Reactions: gameboy

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
some butthurt noname screwtuber complains to ign for stealing their work (it's not actually work it's just TALKING) and a guy at ign gets fired that's HILARIOUS!! :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water