IGN: MGS 3D: Snake Eater visuals look good to better than PS2 ver.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 5,985
  • Replies 73
D

Deleted_171835

OP
Soul, I'm talking about the Vita in case you didn't understand my statement.
So you're suggesting that if someone wants a portable version of MGS3, they should buy a $250 Vita and the MGS collection instead of playing it on a 3DS system that they already own.

Oh and I'm going to stress this for the thousandth time, the Vita isn't HD.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
D

Deleted_171835

OP
Did I say they have to buy a Vita for a MGS collection? I'm just stating the obvious, if you're getting a Vita go for the Vita version since it's getting the MGS collection.
Yes, but you can get this game in HD + more games on a portable console (Which isn't released yet, but still)
That's not what you said.
Please read again. Thank you.
Yes, but you can get this game in HD + more games on a portable console (Which isn't released yet, but still)
You're suggesting that someone is better off purchasing the HD collection on the Vita instead of MGS 3D: Snake Eater.

NOT EVERYONE OWNS A VITA.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To me, IGN is good in reporting some stuff of individual sections (meaning 3DS reporting 3DS news) but horrid in talking about others and normally leading to fanboy rage (3DS talking about PSP for instance).

I'll be getting this game. Some others also praised about the 3D effect. Framerate now being consistent and with extra 3DS functions, I want to see for myself how this game will fair.

Oh, and I

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're trying to prove me wrong, but the comments I've typed states the opposite of what you're claiming. I'm not going forward with this anymore, it's just an opinion I've typed, not need to get butthurt over it.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
If this turns out to be true, then that means Kojima trolled us all very hard and gave a crap demo on purpose to lower expectations. This way, when the shiny, remade game comes out in all its shiny 3Dness, minds are blown.

EDIT: video had this totally 007 feel to it. is that song from the old PS2 version, or from the 3DS remake? it reminds me of that Ace Combat AHLegacy title theme...

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
If this turns out to be true, then that means Kojima was trolled us all very hard and gave a crap demo on purpose to lower expectations. This way, when the shiny, remade game comes out in all its shiny 3Dness, minds are blown.

EDIT: video had this totally 007 feel to it. is that song from the old PS2 version, or from the 3DS remake? it reminds me of that Ace Combat AHLegacy title theme...
it was the song on ps2 version aswell, and it does have a 007 fell. but if i remember correctly, that was the intro video on snake eater on the ps2 aswell

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
Ive never played a metal gear game before and this will probably be my first as it looks really good.
The 3DS really has some grunt in it so visuals like this can be pulled off. In the resident evil demo the graphics are really nice and crisp imo

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Why hasn't Guild McCommunist posted yet?

It's his secondary occupation to call this game a "shitty port" whenever it's brought up in any thread

Reactions: 5 people

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i will say, the 3DS version HAS at least improved considerably since the E3 2011 build. Still not an ideal version, but i'd have to say that looking closely, the raw visuals are at least as good if not a little better than the PS2 version, relatively speaking for the most part. Some instances even have higher res textures than the PS2 version, though some details like the finger textures are lower quality. Polygon counts seem very solid, about on par with MGS3 on PS2. Though i did notice a lower polygon count. It's on Snake's shoulder right after he dives into the jungle and unmasks. You can notice his shoulder is blockier than the original. And in some cases, it seems that the background jungle foliage may have been toned down slightly.

Lighting and shader effects have improved somewhat. Some textures now appear to have normal mapping applied. You can see this on Snake's jumpsuit in the plane and during skydiving. Glad to see they're making SOME use of the 3DS' more advanced visual hardware. Konami also re-instated the reflection effects on Snake's goggles when the plane hatch opens (was missing in the E3 footage). This goes for depth of field as well (some of it anyways). So there's a bit of a balance of downgrade and upgrades.

Unfortunately the thing that really killed the 3DS version from the beginning is something that was never fully fixed. The framerate (at least in cutscenes) is still as choppy as ever (and you can't see this in shots, go watch a video of it). We're talking framerates dipping into the teens and sometimes even single digits. Considering the time they've had to develop the game, and the hardware power advantage 3DS has over PS2 (mentioned by Kojima himself and proven with the Naked Sample demo), it's a damn shame they couldn't at least stabilize the framerate before release. I'm not entirely going to take IGN's word until i've seen actual ingame footage. Had it not been for this, the 3DS version would at least have been a good version of the game technically speaking. If i'm wrong and the game actually plays better on the actual system, i retract my statements.

Overall, i find this game very lazy. Looks unfinished, like they needed at least another 4-5 months to optimize it (which is ridiculous considering how much time they had). Not the worst "remake" i've ever seen (that might go to Sonic the Hedgehog on GBA), but still kind of shitty. Visual improvements are nice, but a better framerate would have been ideal. It's a bit of a dick move after witnessing the Naked Sample and what COULD have been.

I've screengrabbed some comparison shots from Youtube. PS2 vs 3DS. Just know that the PS2 shots have a quality advantage, the footage appears to have come from the game running on an emulator and is higher resolution than the actual game (only other option was to use low quality footage, which i didn't deem fair). Also excuse the compression artifacts, the 3DS version will look somewhat less blurred on a real 3DS due to being played natively in its own resolution. But anyways, here's the comparisons, PS2 on the left, 3DS on the right. Spoiler tagged because of the large quantity and size)-

compare1t.png

compare2k.png

compare3.png

compare4.png

compare5f.png

compare6.png

compare7.png

compare8.png

compare9.png

compare10.png

compare11.png

compare12.png

compare13.png

compare14.png

compare15.png

compare16.png

compare17.png

compare18.png

flaboy909

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i will say, the 3DS version HAS at least improved considerably since the E3 2011 build. Still not an ideal version, but i'd have to say that looking closely, the raw visuals are at least as good if not a little better than the PS2 version, relatively speaking for the most part. Some instances even have higher res textures than the PS2 version, though some details like the finger textures are lower quality. Polygon counts seem very solid, about on par with MGS3 on PS2. Though i did notice a lower polygon count. It's on Snake's shoulder right after he dives into the jungle and unmasks. You can notice his shoulder is blockier than the original. And in some cases, it seems that the background jungle foliage may have been toned down slightly.

Lighting and shader effects have improved somewhat. Some textures now appear to have normal mapping applied. You can see this on Snake's jumpsuit in the plane and during skydiving. Glad to see they're making SOME use of the 3DS' more advanced visual hardware. Konami also re-instated the reflection effects on Snake's goggles when the plane hatch opens (was missing in the E3 footage). This goes for depth of field as well (some of it anyways). So there's a bit of a balance of downgrade and upgrades.

Unfortunately the thing that really killed the 3DS version from the beginning is something that was never fully fixed. The framerate (at least in cutscenes) is still as choppy as ever (and you can't see this in shots, go watch a video of it). We're talking framerates dipping into the teens and sometimes even single digits. Considering the time they've had to develop the game, and the hardware power advantage 3DS has over PS2 (mentioned by Kojima himself and proven with the Naked Sample demo), it's a damn shame they couldn't at least stabilize the framerate before release. I'm not entirely going to take IGN's word until i've seen actual ingame footage. Had it not been for this, the 3DS version would at least have been a good version of the game technically speaking. If i'm wrong and the game actually plays better on the actual system, i retract my statements.

Overall, i find this game very lazy. Looks unfinished, like they needed at least another 4-5 months to optimize it (which is ridiculous considering how much time they had). Not the worst "remake" i've ever seen (that might go to Sonic the Hedgehog on GBA), but still kind of shitty. Visual improvements are nice, but a better framerate would have been ideal. It's a bit of a dick move after witnessing the Naked Sample and what COULD have been.

I've screengrabbed some comparison shots from Youtube. PS2 vs 3DS. Just know that the PS2 shots have a quality advantage, the footage appears to have come from the game running on an emulator and is higher resolution than the actual game (only other option was to use low quality footage, which i didn't deem fair). Also excuse the compression artifacts, the 3DS version will look somewhat less blurred on a real 3DS due to being played natively in its own resolution. But anyways, here's the comparisons, PS2 on the left, 3DS on the right. Spoiler tagged because of the large quantity and size)-

compare1t.png

compare2k.png

compare3.png

compare4.png

compare5f.png

compare6.png

compare7.png

compare8.png

compare9.png

compare10.png

compare11.png

compare12.png

compare13.png

compare14.png

compare15.png

compare16.png

compare17.png

compare18.png

Are you by any chance grans from gamefaqs? He posted the same pictures on a similar topic there. (I'd assume you're one and the same judging be the way you post the of course the usernames)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more