IGN hints to a new DS system?

EvanUnisil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In IGN DS's recent 'hands-on' with the new Castlevania game, Order of Ecclesia.

Link

"On the Wii front, that puts us wondering what to expect, but on DS, we've already caught wind of more than a few of the system's killer apps, and right along with them is the next incarnation of the Castlevania franchise, as Iga's team brings what may be the final DS Castlevania experience to store shelves, in Order of Ecclesia."

Ok so maybe Capcom have said this will be the last game (I don't know). I honestly don't see why Nintendo would be announcing something like this with how successful the DS still is. Anyhow just thought I'd throw htis out there...

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dunno, we'll just have to wait and see if there really is a remake of the DS
btw, wrong forums..
this should be in user submitted or NDS forums

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
DS is very successful. But it was outdated hardware at launch. Quite stagnant in terms of new features too.

Japan and Europe both got a first-party MP3 player add-on, but not the US. Things like that are lame.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
This ain't a hint for a new DS at all.

This is a hint that Order of Ecclesia will be the final game for the trilogy/for the DS (I think it's a trilogy)
[*]Dawn of Sorrow[*]Portrait of Ruin[*]Order of Ecclesia

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And it makes sense that it does mean that either they are going to PsP or there is a new system coming from Nintendo.

Say development time of 2 years (for games)means that in next 2 years Nintendo will bring something new to the table ?

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Athlon-pv said:
And it makes sense that it does mean that either they are going to PsP or there is a new system coming from Nintendo.

Say development time of 2 years means that in next 2 years Nintendo will bring something new to the table ?
They might move on to the Wii/PSP. For the Wii, I'm not talking about doing Castlevanias like the Judgment one (which is rubbish from its looks)...

I can imagine "throw remote forward to use the whip/weapon".

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have family that work for a 3rd party of Nintendo and internal friendly banter between offices that doesn't tend to hit the net outside of cockteasing rumors says that IGN is right. I got a phone call a few days ago around midnight about stuff and basically DS is going into the pasture of being the 'last gen' handheld perhaps at the end of this year. The new system will meld the world of DS and PSP I'd imagine though I have no idea how boosted visual quality will be. They're going with a non-disc storage but larger, double screen, wide again with touch, no gba slot, will run DS stuff for backwards compatibility.

Mind you I can't verify this until next week, but even then word is they could hold it for their own showoff time alone as E3 sucks now.

XeonZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
It would really suck if a redesign of the DS Lite came around soon, because it would make Guitar Hero DS completely useless, and I rather quite enjoy it.

I wouldn't worry about it, the DS is still selling excellently and it would be pretty dumb for Nintendo to pull the plug so soon.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
DS is very successful. But it was outdated hardware at launch. Quite stagnant in terms of new features too.

Japan and Europe both got a first-party MP3 player add-on, but not the US. Things like that are lame.
So was the Gameboy and Gameboy color, which have basically very similar hardware, yet did very well.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
theclaw said:

HUH?! japanese and european ds' have first part mp3 players???

Trizae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EvanUnisil said:
In IGN DS's recent 'hands-on' with the new Castlevania game, Order of Ecclesia.

Link

"On the Wii front, that puts us wondering what to expect, but on DS, we've already caught wind of more than a few of the system's killer apps, and right along with them is the next incarnation of the Castlevania franchise, as Iga's team brings what may be the final DS Castlevania experience to store shelves, in Order of Ecclesia."

Ok so maybe Capcom have said this will be the last game (I don't know). I honestly don't see why Nintendo would be announcing something like this with how successful the DS still is. Anyhow just thought I'd throw htis out there...

I did notice that too while reading the hands on with ecclesia but I just speculated quietly glad to know a few people think 'something' is up

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the earlier post that this is only the last Castlevania game for the DS (for now). I'm starting to tire of this so-called speculation that the DS is dead and/or getting a new redesign/new model and same with PSP. I'd like to think that Nintendo is smarter than this.

EvanUnisil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
This is a hint that Order of Ecclesia will be the final game for the trilogy/for the DS (I think it's a trilogy)

Read the quote, it says last Castlevania game for DS. Not last in the trilogy.

And it just doesn't make sense to me why they would stop making Castlevania games when they are still selling so well, unless of course

a) They just decided to
b) As someone else mentioned, moving development to another console (PSP or Wii, etc.)
c) New DS System.

I'm sticking with c).

As to the guy who said his friend mentioned it... I wouldn't be surprised if they announced something. It's been a while since Nintendo has had a huge E3 conference, and we know how much they love those.

QUOTEbtw, wrong forums..
this should be in user submitted or NDS forums

Yeah it was a bit of a rush post before going to bed, it was like 2am and I was confused as to where to put it ("NDS Games?? But it's not about a game!!"). Will keep that in mind next time
smile.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know it being the last Castlevania for DS means they're developing the next one for DS's next-gen instead of DS.

There's a chance, but that's not the only choice, so it's too hasty.

Also DS's redesign would still be a DS, so bottom line is that IGN comment doesn't mean a new DS design.
(Of course, there's a possibility of a new DS redesign. But it'd be a post hoc and nothing to do with IGN "hinting" it)

EvanUnisil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, reading the whole paragraph from the article linked...

QUOTE said:
With E3 quickly approaching, everyone's looking for the next big game on each respective platform. While we've seen a lot of announcements from third-party developers, Nintendo has -- as always -- stayed pretty dark, and will up until its press conference next Tuesday. On the Wii front, that puts us wondering what to expect, but on DS, we've already caught wind of more than a few of the system's killer apps,

I dunno, it could be an announcement for a handheld coming out next year but with more 'killer apps' coming out for DS... maybe not. We'll see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs