[IGN] Disney abandons trademark for Star Wars 1313

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by BORTZ, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I cant seem to locate a more reputable source for this "news" other than The Escapist.

After a rocky road and a selling of a company, an abandoned TM suggests that we won't be seeing Star Wars 1313 after all. I don't know how many of you are actually surprised, because I know that I am not.

Funny enough, you can comfort yourself by reading the hilarious comments under the article. 1313 was criticized as being anything from a CoD in space clone to Uncharted with a Star Wars coat of paint... Seriously who doesn't want that? Either way, I am curious as to where these accusations are coming from. I assume its just butthurt IGNers that are hiding their feelings by hurling insults at the failed game.

In other news, it looks like EA is working on screwing up a new Battlefront series, so we will see how that goes, if we ever see it on shelves.

Now this isn't a thread for mourning what could have been, instead, lets see how many Vader "noooo" gifs we can get before this thread gets moved to the EoF.

Sources:
    :arrow: IGN
    :arrow: The Escapist

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    BortzANATOR likes this.
  3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    It's because they want to shift work to focus on that free-to-play-pay-to-win TIE fighter game, isn't it?

/joke

4. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    When you use an unlucky number twice, you know you're just asking for trouble.

Maxternal likes this.
  5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Eh, to be fair, I can't say I was really pumped about the title. It just looked like "Uncharted, but in space!" (Suncharted?) That could've been fine, I guess, if it was in the right hands. Unfortunately, LucasArts' recent track record was pretty crappy, too, so the odds of this being good were 3720 to 1, give or take.

Plus, you can't say they weren't tempting fate here. They put "13" in the title, twice! That's, like, double the amount of bad luck.

gamefan5 likes this.
  6. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

It's "Starcharted".

The game looked pretty awesome but my hopes for it ever coming out died a while ago. I've accepted its fate.

7. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I'm not terribly sad to see it go either. I would have played it had it released on PC, I play everything Star Wars... but that being said, it did look like a clone of so many modern XBOX and Playstation games as opposed to something unique and of it's own...

On that note, I'd kill to see Raven have another stab at the old Dark Forces franchise. I always liked that series with the exception of Jedi Academy, great levels, dumb story.
    Knights of the Old Republic 3 is of course long over due. A remake of Dark Forces would be nice, or just some quality games based off some of the better expanded universe stories. Though sadly I don't think hard core Star Wars fans are going to be the target audience, rather they will focus their interests on fans of the movies and the clone wars tv series me thinks, and more than that, not to old school gamers, but more so to what the XBOX/Playstation generation expects. Just a feeling.

8. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Somehow I always forget that Star Wars games are almost always unpolished and poor. Thanks for reminding me.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    NOT ME! :ha:

10. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    I assumed the game would die as soon as Disney canned the game division of Lucas Arts anyway, as well as when they revealed a bunch of details about it like the game being about Bobba Fett. Anyone who is surprised, sad or shocked at this news has been in the dark for a long time.

EDIT: Also XDel we would have got Kotor 3 if they didn't decide to make it a watered down MMO

11. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    If EA isn't working on something for the Wii U then I could care less what they screw up.

12. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    Shame really, Lucas Arts made some great games back in the day like X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire and the Jedi Academy series of games. I seriously want to know what kind of drugs George Lucas was on when he decided to let Disney buy the Star Wars franchise, and I want to know who the genius was to let not only EA be sole developer of any games, but the idiot who shut down Lucas Arts needs a kick in the balls. Maybe if they had made another Rogue Squadron game for the Wii, they would have made some money.

13. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
  14. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Lucas already finished his work with the franchise. When you get offered billions for your franchise that, at this point, is kinda useless to you, you might as well sell it off.

LucasArts made some great games but they also made some less than great games. EA has some great developers, they have the potential to really shake up the franchise and give some fresh, new ideas. If the games suck then they won't do well and they'll find a better developer.

15. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I know, it's sad, screw MMO's. Give me a set story with a beginning a few alternate endings, and I'm happy. On-line play is WAY over rated, besides, who has the time for such dedication?