If you need to reinstall emunand, can you restore saves?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by idx13, Apr 23, 2015.

1. idx13
    OP

idx13 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    Say disaster struck and you have to start all over with emunand - can you restore your saves? I back up all my .sav files from sd card

2. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    CIA's or Cartridge-based saves?

3. idx13
    OP

idx13 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    Roms/.3ds or cia

4. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Rom saves are stored on the SD card root. I believe CIA saves are saved in the /Nintendo 3DS/randomnumbersandlettersfolder that your emuNAND uses. As long as you back up your full SD card before re-creating emuNAND, you should be safe.

5. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    CIA saves can not be restored by restoring the file. At least, no game with anti-restore functionality.

6. retrospect

retrospect GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2008
    You can fully backup your internal SD card using USB Image Tool by Alexander Beug. You'll get a binary file that's an SD image that includes the emuNAND partition and all your user data. Keep it safe, like you do with your sysNAND backup.

Then I believe you can just regularly backup your Nintendo 3DS folder. If disaster strikes, restore the SD backup then replace the Nintendo 3DS folder with the most recent one. I don't know enough about the folder to advise if you can just backup specific parts of it. Perhaps someone else knows about that.

7. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    *snip*

Still trying to figure this out... (obviously)

8. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

emuNAND Tool is much better for this. It only backs up the emuNAND partition and makes for a smaller footprint file size. Why they stickied the tutorial on the USB image tool in this forum is beyond me. emuNAND Tool is by far superior (for single emuNAND backups).

9. idx13
    OP

idx13 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    Turns out emunand tool is incompatible with this situation. So USB Image tool it is.

10. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    How is emunand tool incompatible?

Emunand tool backs up the emunand and the rest of the of the folders can be copied. To restore, format a new emunand then inject the old emunand into the new one thus replacing it and copy the folders back. Does the same thing as as an image tool. Either one works just a different process and different archive sizes. The image takes up more space.

11. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Make sure to use emunand tool 1.0.3 or above.

12. taha1990

taha1990 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    if CIA save that you want then it depend, if you separated the emunand from your nand by formatting one of them then you need a backup of the emunand you are using now before restoring
    if you didn't separate them then you can always create an emunand from your nand without losing your saves

13. idx13
    OP

idx13 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    United States

It does not work with new 3ds.

14. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Since when? I have been using it on all 3 of my new 3DSs. Backuped up, restored emunands several times.

I believe you are mistaken.

15. Neptune

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
  16. idx13
    OP

idx13 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    ah must have been bad info that I read. thanks for bringing it to my attention thorasgar. Old version maybe.