Hacking If you need to reinstall emunand, can you restore saves?

idx13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say disaster struck and you have to start all over with emunand - can you restore your saves? I back up all my .sav files from sd card

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Roms/.3ds or cia

Rom saves are stored on the SD card root. I believe CIA saves are saved in the /Nintendo 3DS/randomnumbersandlettersfolder that your emuNAND uses. As long as you back up your full SD card before re-creating emuNAND, you should be safe.

D

Deleted-19228

CIA saves can not be restored by restoring the file. At least, no game with anti-restore functionality.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
You can fully backup your internal SD card using USB Image Tool by Alexander Beug. You'll get a binary file that's an SD image that includes the emuNAND partition and all your user data. Keep it safe, like you do with your sysNAND backup.

Then I believe you can just regularly backup your Nintendo 3DS folder. If disaster strikes, restore the SD backup then replace the Nintendo 3DS folder with the most recent one. I don't know enough about the folder to advise if you can just backup specific parts of it. Perhaps someone else knows about that.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can fully backup your internal SD card using USB Image Tool by Alexander Beug. You'll get a binary file that's an SD image that includes the emuNAND partition and all your user data. Keep it safe, like you do with your sysNAND backup.

Then I believe you can just regularly backup your Nintendo 3DS folder. If disaster strikes, restore the SD backup then replace the Nintendo 3DS folder with the most recent one. I don't know enough about the folder to advise if you can just backup specific parts of it. Perhaps someone else knows about that.

emuNAND Tool is much better for this. It only backs up the emuNAND partition and makes for a smaller footprint file size. Why they stickied the tutorial on the USB image tool in this forum is beyond me. emuNAND Tool is by far superior (for single emuNAND backups).

idx13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turns out emunand tool is incompatible with this situation. So USB Image tool it is.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turns out emunand tool is incompatible with this situation. So USB Image tool it is.
How is emunand tool incompatible?

Emunand tool backs up the emunand and the rest of the of the folders can be copied. To restore, format a new emunand then inject the old emunand into the new one thus replacing it and copy the folders back. Does the same thing as as an image tool. Either one works just a different process and different archive sizes. The image takes up more space.

taha1990

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if CIA save that you want then it depend, if you separated the emunand from your nand by formatting one of them then you need a backup of the emunand you are using now before restoring
if you didn't separate them then you can always create an emunand from your nand without losing your saves

idx13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is emunand tool incompatible?

Emunand tool backs up the emunand and the rest of the of the folders can be copied. To restore, format a new emunand then inject the old emunand into the new one thus replacing it and copy the folders back. Does the same thing as as an image tool. Either one works just a different process and different archive sizes. The image takes up more space.

It does not work with new 3ds.

idx13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah must have been bad info that I read. thanks for bringing it to my attention thorasgar. Old version maybe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s