If you got bricked, where did you order your Gateway from?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Can't believe no one has asked this yet, and it just hit me last night. We haven't tried to figure out if there is anything in common among those who got bricked, as far as where they got their flash carts from.

Might be worth investigating.

I got my Gateway 3DS not even two weeks ago from 3ds-flashcart.com, and have put it through the wringer in that short time. No problems so far, running 2.0b2 with the latest emuNAND update.

2. crazyace2011

crazyace2011 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    I got mine from realhotstuff.com. I just put 2.02b back on my sd card I figured if its going to brick Ill just go buy another 3ds and I can use the one I have now as a test subject

3. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    No offense, but it doesn't matter where the flashcarts were ordered from, as the bricking code is in the launcher.dat that people download right from Gateway's site. If you're curious though, I ordered mine from RHS, am on b2 and have not used the red card in about a month. I plan on keeping it that way until 2.0 has been released long enough for others to confirm it's safe to use.

gamefan5, link6155, wiewcw and 2 others like this.
  4. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa

Whilst I don't want to come off as a tool, I think he's curious due to the fact that some of the bricks reported have been by users that had errors/issues prior to the 2.02Brick update. Perhaps some vendors got a bad batch of faulty cards/something along those lines.

digipimp75 and IronClouds like this.
  5. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    That does make sense. I guess it's possible for a bad batch to corrupt data stored on the micro SD; data such as the launcher, which would trigger the bricking procedure to execute.

So IF it was a bad batch, then that would explain legit Gateway users getting caught in the crossfire, and would only partly explain Gateway's lack of taking responsibility for this whole mess. I stand corrected, sir. :)

mcsdoode likes this.
  6. escherbach
    This message by escherbach has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 27, 2014, Reason: flaming.
    Jan 27, 2014
  7. IronClouds
    This message by IronClouds has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jan 27, 2014, Reason: flaming.
    Jan 27, 2014
  8. escherbach

escherbach GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2013
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-just-bricked-with-a-legit-gw.360799/#post-4890875

I think a few others did the check as well.

Sorry if I came across badly - it's just that there are far too many people on this forum stating as fact, without full evidence, the rather extreme idea that the gateway team have put deliberate bricking code in their firmware.

I'm not saying they haven't - I'm actually still undecided, especially since their public announcements about the affair have been baffling and evasive.

But I want to get this one right - with good evidence -not guesswork. Any ideas like the one in this thread that helps to eliminate one argument or another is worthwhile I think. But I also think you are correct that the bricked consoles have come from many sources.

IronClouds likes this.
  9. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I just want to leave no stone unturned in the effort to try to figure out how to protect people on this site from winding up with a brick, if it is avoidable.

At this point, any and all information is helpful.

10. hellfire789

hellfire789 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I noticed that realhotstuff gets mentioned a lot when concerning bricks, though it probably has very little to do with the bricks themselves.

11. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It is an interesting thought. Possible that most of these faulty cards with diagnostic errors are coming from one or two specific resellers.

Anyway, I got my Gateway from 3DS-flashcart.com as well. Installed with 2.0b2 files no problem, updated emuNAND and other games/apps, downgraded to 2.0b1, played some DS games on the blue card, reinstalled exploit, and have played a few different games on the red card totaling about 50-60 hours. No issues to report.

12. hellfire789

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I got mine from modchipcentral.com and I've had no problems with my gateway either, but ever since this whole bricking thing started, I've reverted back to 2.0b1 and haven't turned on my 3DS for a good 2 weeks.

13. kirillov

kirillov Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2013
    3ds-flashcart.com too

14. hellfire789

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Both realhotstuff and 3ds-flashcard are based in China, so there might be a correlation between the reported bricks and the reseller. Still too early to come to a conclusion though.

15. Beaps

Beaps Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2009
    Just looking at picking up a GW in the UK. Does anyone have legit versions over here?

16. f0rCe

f0rCe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Ordered mine from teensy.co.uk in summer and it works just fine.

Updated to 2.0b2 once it got released, but downgraded back to 2.0b1 when some save game issues were discussed here.

I'm so glad that i did it, even before the first brick was mentioned! ^.^

17. Beaps

Beaps Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2009
    So does teensy.co.uk have original versions doe you know, or is this bricking bricking all units?

18. cypher007

cypher007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2014
    got mine from teensy just before Christmas. used emunand and 2.0b2 had a few exploit lockups. dropped back to v1.2, removed emunand, and reinstalled the exploit from v1.2.

could a clone use gw firmware? if so whats to stop some Chinese suppliers rebadging r4i 3ds cards?

19. f0rCe

f0rCe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2013
    Gambia, The
  20. cypher007

cypher007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2014
    one of the reasons I used them.

21. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah teensy is very good, better than waiting weeks for it to be shipped from abroad, be sure to dump your nand from the gateway menu....that is the first thing to do and copy the file to your pc so you have it incase of any accidental updates or anything...its your only recovery method if ever things go bad :)

22. Yoshi9288

Yoshi9288 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    Germany
    I got mine from http://www.r43ds.de/

It was shipped from malaysia to Germany without any Problems. And it is an 100% Real Gateway. ^^