OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DON'T USE THOSE KEYS. Seriously.

2,500 (or even upwards to 3 million) DiRT 3 keys were leaked and if you use the key, your Steam account may be banned. Here's part of the Steam ToS that mentions it:

QUOTE said:
"There is a Zero-Tolerance policy for any violations of the Steam Subscriber Agreement and Online Code of Conduct. All accounts in a user's possession for any of the following activities will be suspended: Piracy or Hacking

This includes using an unauthorized ("hacked") Steam client to access Steam, attempting to register fake CD Keys or attempting to register a CD Key which has been published on the internet."

Don't risk it. They've banned 20,000 people before when HL2 came out. I'm sure Valve will do it again.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...mp;postcount=82

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Half-life 2 was ages ago, but this is recent so there's tons of users that weren't in the loop last time.

EDIT:
Valwin said:
thtas why i dont use shit steam
So you don't use a system because it bans you for piracy?

Well, that rules out Microsoft, Sony, and part of Nintendo (game-by-game basis).

Reactions: 1 person

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The issue here is that free Dirt 3 codes were included with certain AMD graphics cards, and every single one of these legitimate codes were in the leaked list, making it impossible for Valve to tell what is legit or not. The easiest fix would be blacklisting all of the leaked codes, but that'd take the game away from people who got their codes legitimately.
That isn't to say that you'd be safe with a leaked code though.

On another note, can Steam detect any pirated games that haven't been added to Steam?

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
this is crap
just say you buy it off someone and they sell it to you or you trade codes
steam will not ban accounts espcaily as it will kill a ton of innocent users
if you find the keys just make a new acc and use it on that one

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
deathking said:
this is crap
just say you buy it off someone and they sell it to you or you trade codes
steam will not ban accounts espcaily as it will kill a ton of innocent users
if you find the keys just make a new acc and use it on that one

Yes they will ban accounts if the need to do so is there. I wouldn't doubt banning is one of the last resorts, but still it is there. And hell, I'd ban people for piracy if they tried something on a service I was responsible for. The services would include all systems and all kinds of services (Steam, PSN, XBOX Live, OnLive, etc). Hell I'd even ban Spotify users for using counterfeit codes to redeem Premium or something like that
tongue.gif

-Qtis

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Yeah Half-life 2 was ages ago, but this is recent so there's tons of users that weren't in the loop last time.

EDIT:
Valwin said:

Well, that rules out Microsoft, Sony, and part of Nintendo (game-by-game basis).

I think he meant that he wouldn't be able to play his games at all if he gets banned because of piracy. (even offline mode requires online first)

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Feels Good Man said:
Raiser said:
This isn't really anything new. Anyone who uses Steam should know the risks of such things.

Well, it's kinda new since the DiRT 3 keys were leaked recently.
What I mean is, it should be fairly obvious that using a key found on the Net, especially with Steam, is extremely idiotic and risky.

But I didn't read the source; didn't know the keys were associated with legit products rather than just being on a list labeled "LEAKED KEYS GRAB EM HERE!".

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, just to tell you guys they where released by a AMD who upload the keys on an page which was accessible by everyone. There was something similar to this last time when EVGA with Metro 2033 my friend got one of em but he never got banned because theere where about 20k keys which where used. Last i heard was that valve just removed the games from there games list because it was the fault of EVGA. If you have used a key i wouldnt worry too much.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
when it comes to keys and online multiplayer, one thing i have learned is NEVER even try get a fake key or crack cause it wont work.
and now it seems that even if it works, it wont last.

pirates should be happy playing offline and LAN multiplayer thru tunngle or similar

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gov78 said:
Well, just to tell you guys they where released by a AMD who upload the keys on an page which was accessible by everyone. There was something similar to this last time when EVGA with Metro 2033 my friend got one of em but he never got banned because theere where about 20k keys which where used. Last i heard was that valve just removed the games from there games list because it was the fault of EVGA. If you have used a key i wouldnt worry too much.
supposedly a russian hacker, hacked the codemasters website and stole the database containing all the keys and released them

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
gov78 said:
supposedly a russian hacker, hacked the codemasters website and stole the database containing all the keys and released them

Well, it's a bit of both, IIRC. AMD definitely was stupid and decided to put it on their database as a .txt file. It's still, as far as I know, a bannable offence as they were keys that were gotten illegitimately.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

EDIT:
Valwin said:

WRONG i dont use it cuz it mess up my mods

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worlok375 said:
Rydian said:

EDIT:
Valwin said:

I think he meant that he wouldn't be able to play his games at all if he gets banned because of piracy. (even offline mode requires online first)

Wait. So you even have to be connected to the internet to play an off line game? That is retarded. I won't even get a steam game now, out side the two that game pre installed on my laptop. When I go on a road trip i expect to be able to play my offline games w/o needing the internet. DRMs like this is why pc games hit the toilet.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Valwin said:
Rydian said:

EDIT:
Valwin said:

WRONG i dont use it cuz it mess up my mods
meaning that you lied in your first post when you said 'thtas why i dont use shit steam' in a thread that had nothing to do with game mods and everything to do with digital theft

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: