If you ever booked a hotel online.....

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by air2004, Dec 29, 2012.

Dec 29, 2012
  1. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Please take a look that this if you have ever booked a hotel online , it just might save you some money.
    The gist of it is , some of these online sites could be telling you that hotel xyz is booked full when in fact it's not. The site then offers you other hotel options which are more expensive and in turn making more money for the site.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/28/3809328/one-small-hotels-long-nightmare-with-expedia
    Sorry I forgot the link.

plasma dragon007 likes this.
  2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    how is this news??

3. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I run a hotel of similar size and it frustrates me that people will see "fully booked" on sites that Expedia/Booking.com/Laterooms and assume we're actually full. It's very rarely the case with any site, small hotels can only allocate a small number of rooms to each site to avoid over booking, they the site says "full" what it really means "we have sold our allocation", they'd rather not tell you this because it would drive people to book direct or through another agency (both cases meaning no commission to them).

It's frustrating but people will always book through agencies these days and never think to contact the site directly, or are misguided enough to think the agency is the only way to book.

Anyhoo, rant over.

Vulpes Abnocto likes this.
  4. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    maybe you could change the title as it looks a little unprofessional

5. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Because some people maybe unaware that these sites could be scamming you to line their own pockets.
    Maybe one of the mods could change it for me. I had just woke up when I posted it this morning, and the title was made in hopes of getting peoples attention.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    People are unaware that if there is a middle man involved then in all likelihood they will not be getting the cheapest offer?

7. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    No, that's not it. You can't haggle a hotel like the middle man can so this is a moot point.

air2004 likes this.
  8. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    when the middle man tells you a hotle is booked up in order to push you into a higher priced hotel , I have an issue with that. I have gotten better prices for plan tickets from priceline than from the actual airline I was going to fly.