If you are running 2.0b2, are you staying in Gateway Mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Until yesterday, I did my absolute best to never turn my 3DS off, and to never actually exit Gateway Mode, thinking that booting into it in the first place is the most dangerous part, and that if I was going to brick, it would be when launching Gateway Mode in the first place.

Then I got sick of not having all of my splendid hats in the Mii Plaza, and did the date change exploit to get hundreds of Play Coins.

I went through the entire month of January, 2000, from the 1st to the 31st, each time requiring a full power cycle and launching Gateway Mode.

Out of the 31 times in a row I did this, I ran into probably 4 or 5 freezes, where the screen would flash, then it would be all grey with horizontal lines running across both screens. Each time, I freaked out, completely sure I had just bricked myself. But, after powering off and then back on, each time was a false alarm.

To try to be as exhaustive as possible while doing this, sometimes I kept the Gateway card in, sometimes I removed it. Sometimes I turned Wifi on, sometimes I kept it off. I did random combinations of all of that, and still did not brick.

If it helps, the microSD card I used was a crappy Class 4 4GB Maxell microSDHC, the SD card in my 3DS is a 2GB Toshiba SD card (regular SD, not a microSD in an adapter), and the game I had loaded on my Gateway was 'Mario & Luigi - Dream Team'.

I purchased my Gateway from 3ds-flashcart.com the third week of December, and have been using it for just under two weeks now without any problems whatsoever.

If you've been avoiding 2.0b2 because of all of the horror stories, take my experience with a grain of salt. Maybe I am just incredibly lucky, but, I seriously doubt that I CAN brick my 3DS with the setup I am currently using.

2. Presentum

Presentum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    Mexico
    Stop doing so much topics! D: lol :P

I'm using gateway 2.0b2, i have NEVER modify my launcher or anything everything works fine I turn on and off my 3DS each day with out problems, i think those that were bricked is caused they used different cards or modify their launcher ... :/ Sorry for my spanish :P

3. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I've made two topics today, both relating to trying to figure out what is causing all the bricks. Not having a devkit or any hardware skills, this is the best I can do to contribute to finding a solution. It rends my heart to know that my words have caused you any distress, and I shall endeavor to modify my future commenting activity so as to avoid inflicting any derriere damage unto you, O gentle reader.

mznova and Yessy like this.
  4. Bond697

Bond697 Dies, died, will die.

Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    CT
    you know what's causing the bricks.

5. RachelB

RachelB GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    United States
    I think it's been pretty clear that the odds of bricking were far lower than 1/31, so this doesn't really mean anything. Only a small handful of people have reported bricks, and surely the 2.02b launcher has been ran tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of times. Clearly, the risk is very low, but some of us would rather not take any chances, especially those of us who don't use emunand anyway.

Maybe i'll upgrade to 2.0 when multi rom support is added, but until then, I'm not willing to gamble with my limited edition zelda 3ds, no matter the odds.

Yessy likes this.
  6. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I was running 2.0b2 for maybe less than 2 weeks since the reports came in. I figured that since my 3DS was never off and always in Gateway mode I probably didn't have anything to worry about. But after a while when I realized most of the important (to me) emunand features still worked on 2.0b1 I made the switch.

7. crazyace2011

crazyace2011 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    I went back to 2.02b I figured if my 3ds bricks ill just get another one and modify the bricked one since I have a backup of the nand.

Yessy likes this.
  8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    that backup is useless unless you make sure to reprogram the EMMC to not think the NAND is 0 bytes after 2.02b bricks the 3ds.

9. crazyace2011

Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    bkifft and krisztain1997 has created a program that can unbrick the 3ds. Im not going to send it back to gateway and risk not getting it back not saying they will keep it but until someone else comes back with some sort of news of them sending theirs to gateway I wont. I rather try doing it myself

Yessy likes this.
  10. naddel81
    This message by naddel81 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Feb 1, 2014, Reason: users fighting.
    Jan 28, 2014
  11. driverdis
    This message by driverdis has been removed from public view by Cyan, Feb 1, 2014, Reason: users fighting.
    Jan 28, 2014
  12. crazyace2011
    This message by crazyace2011 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Feb 1, 2014, Reason: users fighting.
    Jan 28, 2014
  13. driverdis
    This message by driverdis has been removed from public view by Cyan, Feb 1, 2014, Reason: users fighting.
    Jan 28, 2014
  14. crazyace2011
    This message by crazyace2011 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Feb 1, 2014, Reason: users fighting.
    Jan 28, 2014
  15. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    See, replies like this get on my tits, just because your 3DS is fine does not make it safe and how do you know those affected used different launchers or cards? Its blind leading the blind and fed bogus information from trolls, fanboys, losers with no time or a life and just to spread lies and deceit. Nobody know Jack shit. except GW themselves.

Do you think, I'd want to fuck up my 3DS for a laugh? Spend over $111 to get the GW card, so I could use modified launchers? Then spend an additional $50 to ship it, to get it fixed with a risk of losing in the process. I dont think so mate, yet if I did and wanted to, I'd be a fucking retard with more money than sense.

My post and brick case is 100% legit and here to help other users and the scene, so quit the BS theories and the same applies to others with the same mentality. All will be revealed in due course.

Neo Draven and mznova like this.
  16. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    I'm the Guinea pig test subject to that. Mine is now shipped to the GW team

17. crazyace2011

Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    I wasn't referring to bkifft or krisztain1997 I was referring to gateway. so don't think that I was saying they would keep it I was talking about gateway keeping it.

18. krisztian1997

krisztian1997 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 14, 2013
    Romania
    The NAND was never set to 0 bytes, that was only speculation.

My and bkifft's code is released on github, and soldering is not the biggest problem... so yeah, we can do stuffs without ruining and bricking everything what we are trying to fix.

crazyace2011 likes this.